Author Topic: Arbalest Advice  (Read 983 times)

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
Arbalest Advice
« on: May 08, 2014, 05:56:43 pm »
+1
Ok, so I've decide to make a full Arby (Arbie?) build.  Have a few questions.  See below for lvl 30 build.

(click to show/hide)

• I'm sure most folks are thinking, why go shield instead of IF (or covert those skill points to put more into AGI & WM).  Just block instead of using a shield.  Well why don't I also just go out and get myself a girlfriend while I'm at it!  :wink:
  • Joking aside, the shield helps keep me alive while retreating to friendlies.  Blocking and potentially on my back while running away (though I use a buckler, see #3 below).  Once I'm among friends, I can reload my Arb.

1)  Melee (Sidearm) WPF advice -- How much WPF into a melee weapon to be decently effective?  Not to be good.  Just have a chance at fighting back.  Having only 1 WPF, swings seem so slow that you really don't have any chance.  It seems like most put around 50 WPF into a sidearm discipline.  Just want to make sure that's worth it.  Going 50 WPF into a melee discipline, means I'll have 161 Xbow WPF, instead of 170.  I'd think that 9 less WPF would decently effect accuracy (but maybe not, using basic Arb, no looms).  But why have PS if you can't swing quick enough to hit anyone?  If only 1 WPF in melee, why not ditch PS as well, and go more AGI > WM > WPF (Xbow)?  Should I forget melee altogether?  Seems unrealistic to do so.

2)  Sidearm question -- Using the Military Sickle & Fighting Axe (both 1h weapons) in their secondary mode makes the 2-handed.  Do these weapons now use 2h WPF?  If so, any advantage to using one mode over the other?  2h mode quicker?  Or more dmg?

3)  Shield advice -- Foolish for going 3 shield for buckler?  I want to go some shield.  Suck at blocking (not going to change anytime soon... at least not that much).  But is the buckler viable?  I like it personally.  But would I be better off going with a kite shield or Brown Lion Heater Shield, which would would cover my back when I'm retreating?  Should I go less shield and use some other shield?  Or sacrifice PS for more shield, and use a better one?  Though, I'm not keen on heavier shields, as I want to stay light.

Any other advice would be much appreciated!  I'm not looking to make the best build ever.  Fun over being the best.  But I don't want to cheat this build out of better options that I just don't see.

Thanks again guys!  Sorry for all the questions lately.  Just getting back into cRPG over the last month or two.  Finally starting to rework some old characters.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:12:13 pm by Mallets »

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
Re: Arbalest Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 06:40:29 pm »
If you want to take a shield, don't take a buckler. Rather taking around 75 wpf for the saidearm, a short sword, and a decent shield than a random 1 slot weap and a shit shield without any cover plus that will break after 1 hit of an axe. Furthermore, if you want a shield, forget IF: a shield skill point is way more precious than 2 hp, even if IF saves you after 4 IF points dropped on your stats. Go for 4/6 shield skill points for a decent resistance at melee, otherwise, you'll probably see your shield break a lot, and therefore die after 5 secs. For the wpf in xbow, just remember to use a decent armor (10 weight max for the body, and less than 1,5 for the head), since you don't have any penalty of PD/PT.  165/155 in crossbow is viable when talking about accuracy if you got looms, if not, go for like 60 wpf in 1h, and the rest in crossbow.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:44:33 pm by Algarn »

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:04:38 pm »
(click to show/hide)

My suggestion above would be better imo. More wpf for the crossbow and perhaps some more for your 1h.

I would highly suggest not doing a 1h/shield build with an arb but if you insist on it I'd do what I suggested above rather than the 18/21 one.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 08:20:00 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)

My suggestion above would be better imo. More wpf for the crossbow and perhaps some more for your 1h.

I would highly suggest not doing a 1h/shield build with an arb but if you insist on it I'd do what I suggested above rather than the 18/21 one.
Arbalest requires 18 str though.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 08:38:06 pm »
+1
Arbalest requires 18 str though.

Aw fuck. I forgot the upped requirement.

Then yeah.. 18/21. RIP in peace old arb setup.

Offline bavvoz

• Earl
  • Renown: 323
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Bavvo
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 08:45:58 pm »
+1
i got 85 in 1h and about 150ish xbow and tbh i feel i will need more in 1h (might be coz im such a crappy aimer though and get more kills in melee :D) Its very possible to kill with 85 or less but ull always be at a huge disadvantage

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 09:54:18 pm »
+1
You barely need more than 150 wpf for xbow since you don´t do long range shots a lot (except for horses, but they are bigger targets anyways). Before I do long range shots, I rather a) get closer to my target b) switch target (because reloading the arbalest costs precious time, not the best weapon for luckshots). More WPF is just a waste imo, 150 max :)

Can´t give you any advices for the rest since I´ve never played as a shielder and feel more comfortable with a simple 1h and manual blocking

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 08:06:20 am »
+1
Thanks for the advice guys!

Reworked the build for more shield.  Instead of 6 PS & 3 SH, I'm going to go with 4 PS & 5 Shield.  This will allow me to use a Knightly Heater Shield, which seems to be the go-to shield for many 1h.  May even look at the Knightly Kite Shield for a lighter option (though more expensive).

On the note of "expensive", upkeep on an Arby is a bitch!  It's running me dry!

Offline Alaire

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: GoW
  • Game nicks: GoW_Alaire
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 08:25:54 am »
I would like to recommend using a heavy crossbow(even if you keep the 18 strength to use all types of xbows on the floor and strategus battles) initially to help your upkeep.

Heavy crossbows are not only 5k less expensive, but the speed for reload is a good 28+ faster. Given that you are going shielding, onehand, crossbow, speed of reload in battle may be helpful in certain situations. It may take one extra shot to kill, but with your half dedication in 1h shield you should be able to take the poor man on the other side down in a slash or two with your sword after the shot.

I've definitely seen it work well as a hybrid with polearms and two-hand before, so if you're increasingly low on cash, heavy is not a bad alternative.

Offline NJ_Legion_Icedtea

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Icedtea
  • IRC nick: Icedtea
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 01:01:10 pm »
+1
with low shield skill bigger shields I find more effective as they break less and remember even though they will be 1 slot there are plenty of good 0 slot 1h weapons.