Poll

Include the Overhead Animation for Spears?

Yes
49 (83.1%)
No
10 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Overhead Animation for Spears  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Phalanx300

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Overhead Animation for Spears
« on: May 18, 2011, 04:10:09 pm »
The Vikingr mod enables players with a spear to press x and the spear switches to an overhead animation. Might be nice to include it in this mod as well for the spear users among us.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:13:01 pm by Phalanx300 »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Overhead Animation for Spears
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 11:50:20 pm »
+1
spears already have an overhead swing animation that does blunt dmg.  Are you talking about some sort of OVER-arm stab, not the underhand stabs/thrusts the game currently uses?

post some screenshots or video, because noone knows what your talking about

I would love a toggle for spears that makes their thrust attack top vector and someone cant just downblock to stop ALL spear attacks.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 12:16:56 am »
spears already have an overhead swing animation that does blunt dmg.  Are you talking about some sort of OVER-arm stab, not the underhand stabs/thrusts the game currently uses?

post some screenshots or video, because noone knows what your talking about

I would love a toggle for spears that makes their thrust attack top vector and someone cant just downblock to stop ALL spear attacks.

Pike "cough"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 02:55:34 am »
an overarm style spear thrust would have half the range when onehanded, compared to a underarm style. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klOc9C-aPr4)
but 2handed would be the same i suppose

I don't know the vikingr spear thrusting animation with X, but it is just a higher-held thrust? If that is the case, it is the same as any other thrust and should still be blocked down...
got a video?

*note there is a hard coded limit on animation number. lol
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:00:00 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 03:05:06 am »
Imo the vikingr overhead thrust is horrible (yes it's switched by x and you block it with downblock also iirc).

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 04:36:17 pm »
An overhead thrust would be interesting. I can't imagine being able to do lateral and vertical swings very well when you are holding the weapon that way, though, so the bonus would just be range, perhaps? Or just that you can stab at a shorter range than with an underarm stab?

I haven't played the vikingr mod though, but I know what kind of stab you're referring to.

(Have yet to look at the video posted)

EDIT: I am watching the video and I wouldn't mind if the "aternate animation" was just an underarm poke similar to the poke the guy did in the video posted (at 1:45), just higher up. I dunno, it looks a little more like the one hander stab. The default underarm stab always seemed kinda funny to me...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 04:41:09 pm by OzyTheSage »

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 04:41:26 pm »
Would rather that Pikes/Spears could be planted into the ground with Secondary Mode.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 06:12:16 pm »
It should be used for 1h + shield spearing, and it should be faster than the regular 1h + shield, but have less range.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:24:18 pm »
Oh yes, one important thing I forgot to mention. A big reason to add a higher thrust animation (toggleable with the alternate fire button) is simply to thrust over obstacles. it is..... incredibly annoying to do a thrust only to have it start bouncing off of obstacles it shouldn't appear to be bouncing off of, especially below your thrust.

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 09:07:35 pm »
The kind of overarm attack you are referring to is the kind of lance attacks early Middle-Ages cavalry would do (see below on the Tapisserie de Baveux, 1066 AD) before the technic of couching the lance was developped (two centuries later).

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Rextard, Rextardero, CornstablePonyGaper, CornporalCannonFodder
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 11:33:42 pm »
Oh yes, one important thing I forgot to mention. A big reason to add a higher thrust animation (toggleable with the alternate fire button) is simply to thrust over obstacles. it is..... incredibly annoying to do a thrust only to have it start bouncing off of obstacles it shouldn't appear to be bouncing off of, especially below your thrust.

And yet no spear users ever complain about being able to stab when they're too close for the spear head to actually puncture the enemy, though it does. And no polearms, almost all of which are on wooden hafts, ever break off of blades. And polearms still have retardo bs stun. How much more do you really need?

Just jump and then stab.

Offline Joseph

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I am your worst french nightmare.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 07:00:56 am »
It be awesome if you could only do it while using a shield, like this:

In my opinion, I think having a overhead spear will be more deadly or will give new attack angles, it'll be easier for sure to aim for the head.

How should we block it as a manual blocker?

I think blocking it with a overhead will bring lot of new possibilities for "hoplite" characters, they could actualy have 2 hits dirrection. This will surely buff spear/shield characters (they totally need it) and Nerf the cavalry (a bit strong imo) as the number of pikeman increases.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:10:03 am by Joseph »
"Dam those peasants bite hard"

Offline Seprest

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 11:18:33 am »
Shield and spear are not used for close quarter combat, poking someone from a yard or more away is much different then trying to 1 on 1 a sword and board.   Also, plz more info on this whole toggle thing, is the animation much different than normal thrust so we can see what kind of attack they are doing?

Oh yeah, no attacking in melee with shield up, that's just silly.   When you attack you trade off some of your defenses, it is a principal that is not to be broken.

Offline Joelturuz

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ratchis
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 12:30:56 am »
And yet no spear users ever complain about being able to stab when they're too close for the spear head to actually puncture the enemy, though it does. And no polearms, almost all of which are on wooden hafts, ever break off of blades. And polearms still have retardo bs stun. How much more do you really need?

Just jump and then stab.
Sounds like someone has yet to master the down block :wink:

Seriously, I've played spearman (spear+shield) for several generations and I can tell you, it isn't all dancing on roses. Sweetspots cause your hits to be a bit "unpredictable", with some perfect looking ones bouncing and other pathetic pokes taking the enemy down.
Recently the cRPG population has also began to block down which is bad news for people like me.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 12:27:38 pm »
Shield and spear are not used for close quarter combat, poking someone from a yard or more away is much different then trying to 1 on 1 a sword and board.   Also, plz more info on this whole toggle thing, is the animation much different than normal thrust so we can see what kind of attack they are doing?

Oh yeah, no attacking in melee with shield up, that's just silly.   When you attack you trade off some of your defenses, it is a principal that is not to be broken.

Spears dont need a yard to be effective.  In real combat you could also use your shield to push to get room for a bigass jab as well.  Theres a reason hoplites existed for several hundred years.