Author Topic: Crossbow  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
Re: Crossbow
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 07:39:56 am »
+2
A couple of years ago I had a similar creative urge, and ended up making 2 PVC bows. I wish I could have afforded the materials to make a better one (or had the time/skills to make a wooden one) but I had fun nonetheless. The costliest thing was the bowstring. xD

The first bow I made was simply to get my feet wet. It was a simple longbow made by sticking one PVC pipe inside a slightly larger one, and then stuffing a fiberglass rod in the middle. Once notches were made at either end, and a ledge to fire of of was added, the thing could be strung up and it was ready to go in just a few hours time. I tested the draw weight and it comes in at a hefty 40-50 pounds. Makes the thing hard to aim, that's for sure.

The second bow I made was where I got to stretch my artistic muscles a bit. I decided to model it after something along the lines of the nomad or horn bows in crpg. It is a smaller size with the recurve, and I believe it has the dimensions of some historical bows used on horseback. The fun part about that one was flattening it and then having to cut out various sections, smoothing it all out, bending it just right... long story short, it was a pain, haha. But I had fun. That bow is much weaker (only 25 pounds or so draw weight) but at least that is something reasonable that you can actually aim with. I'm not exactly gonna go hunting deer with my target-tipped arrows.

If you are on a budget I recommend trying to make a flattened PVC pipe bow. If the sky is the limit, go and buy all your fancy wood and metal crossbow parts, :P.

Total cost of the longbow was probably 10 bucks, plus the additional 10 or so for the damn bowstring. Arrows of course cost a decent amount as well. You can literally use anything for a target, I started using garbage bags stuffed with grass clippings or hay. Then I upgraded to a cheap $5 foam target. The cav bow only cost about $5 for the raw materials (this one only require PVC pipe of one diameter... not two different sizes, and no fancy fiberglass rod of a specific size either), but if you don't have a heat gun, that can set you back $40 or so. You're gonna need one of those to melt it so you can inhale all the lovely fumes soften the PVC.

If you are feeling more adventurous than I, you can also make you own homemade bowstring. But to do that you need to create your own rig for it, and track down a certain type of wax (everywhere seemed to suggest bee's wax, I think), and then rap the string around itself thousands of times. That is why I opted for the $10 per bowstring charge. ;)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 07:46:48 am »
+1
A couple of years ago I had a similar creative urge, and ended up making 2 PVC bows. I wish I could have afforded the materials to make a better one (or had the time/skills to make a wooden one) but I had fun nonetheless. The costliest thing was the bowstring. xD

The first bow I made was simply to get my feet wet. It was a simple longbow made by sticking one PVC pipe inside a slightly larger one, and then stuffing a fiberglass rod in the middle. Once notches were made at either end, and a ledge to fire of of was added, the thing could be strung up and it was ready to go in just a few hours time. I tested the draw weight and it comes in at a hefty 40-50 pounds. Makes the thing hard to aim, that's for sure.

The second bow I made was where I got to stretch my artistic muscles a bit. I decided to model it after something along the lines of the nomad or horn bows in crpg. It is a smaller size with the recurve, and I believe it has the dimensions of some historical bows used on horseback. The fun part about that one was flattening it and then having to cut out various sections, smoothing it all out, bending it just right... long story short, it was a pain, haha. But I had fun. That bow is much weaker (only 25 pounds or so draw weight) but at least that is something reasonable that you can actually aim with. I'm not exactly gonna go hunting deer with my target-tipped arrows.

If you are on a budget I recommend trying to make a flattened PVC pipe bow. If the sky is the limit, go and buy all your fancy wood and metal crossbow parts, :P.

Total cost of the longbow was probably 10 bucks, plus the additional 10 or so for the damn bowstring. Arrows of course cost a decent amount as well. You can literally use anything for a target, I started using garbage bags stuffed with grass clippings or hay. Then I upgraded to a cheap $5 foam target. The cav bow only cost about $5 for the raw materials (this one only require PVC pipe of one diameter... not two different sizes, and no fancy fiberglass rod of a specific size either), but if you don't have a heat gun, that can set you back $40 or so. You're gonna need one of those to melt it so you can inhale all the lovely fumes soften the PVC.

If you are feeling more adventurous than I, you can also make you own homemade bowstring. But to do that you need to create your own rig for it, and track down a certain type of wax (everywhere seemed to suggest bee's wax, I think), and then rap the string around itself thousands of times. That is why I opted for the $10 per bowstring charge. ;)

I saw people trying to make pvc crossbows.. I never thought one could make an actual bow with pvc..

Hey more power to you. I'd do it out of wood for the style. Looks better. I'm sure it takes far more time than when its out of pvc though.

I'm going to redouble my efforts of finding schematics and such then get stuff for it soon enough. See if I can't make a decent crossbow soon.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 08:21:06 am »
+2
I saw people trying to make pvc crossbows.. I never thought one could make an actual bow with pvc..

Hey more power to you. I'd do it out of wood for the style. Looks better. I'm sure it takes far more time than when its out of pvc though.

I'm going to redouble my efforts of finding schematics and such then get stuff for it soon enough. See if I can't make a decent crossbow soon.

As a severely grown up man, i have a boring responsibility to advise you to take precautions when testing your apparatus. If that shit snaps from tension while you are aiming somewhere, you might have a very bad time. Show it to a gunsmith, or take few pictures and post them on a specialized forum, so someone can point out any potentially hazardous errors.

Good luck! It seems to be a very interesting project, so don't forget to show progress pictures! I love hand-made contraptions and mechanisms - much creativity and daring ideas :)
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 08:28:58 am »
+1
As a severely grown up man, i have a boring responsibility to advise you to take precautions when testing your apparatus. If that shit snaps from tension while you are aiming somewhere, you might have a very bad time. Show it to a gunsmith, or take few pictures and post them on a specialized forum, so someone can point out any potentially hazardous errors.

Good luck! It seems to be a very interesting project, so don't forget to show progress pictures! I love hand-made contraptions and mechanisms - much creativity and daring ideas :)

I'll be sure to be careful though. Its probably a ways off from testing since I don't even have a working set of schematics to work with yet. I was just hoping someone here might have some knowledge on it so I could ensure I didn't do a shitty job. I shall finish my mission though!

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 10:00:26 am »
take few pictures and post them on a specialized forum, so someone can point out any potentially hazardous errors.

There are tons of DIY woodworking, historical reenactment, and other forums that could help you out from sourcing a design to suggesting retailers for material to critiquing your work. The greybeards in places like that usually love to help newcomers who are interested in their hobby, and get really enthusiastic and helpful if you are serious about the project. Imagine a forum full of "that uncle" who has a shop in his garage and loves tinkering with things.

I don't have any specific suggestions but a few google searches will get you places.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 05:51:21 pm »
There are tons of DIY woodworking, historical reenactment, and other forums that could help you out from sourcing a design to suggesting retailers for material to critiquing your work. The greybeards in places like that usually love to help newcomers who are interested in their hobby, and get really enthusiastic and helpful if you are serious about the project. Imagine a forum full of "that uncle" who has a shop in his garage and loves tinkering with things.

I don't have any specific suggestions but a few google searches will get you places.

^ This. There is no doubt several DIY medieval weapons forums out there. Although if you cannot find an expert, I would be willing to work as a second-rate risk evaluator (if you pay me with umm... certain favors, of course). I've taken far too many courses in strengths of materials, elements of mechanical design, etc etc, and at the very least can point out any bit no-no's that you may have done whilst assembling your contraption. For starters, never make anything a 90 degree angle. :P

(click to show/hide)

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador