Author Topic: Crossbow  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
Crossbow
« on: April 29, 2014, 06:33:27 am »
+2
Anyone know a link or info on making a crossbow?

I've gotten the itch to make something and for some reason, I want to make a crossbow. I'd prefer instructions on making one that's wooden.

I've looked and most of the stuff I've found isn't very instructive or just show makings of rather than schematics or a manual/step by step directions.

Besides I'm a ranged my old friend (sometimes) ingame. Might as well do it irl too eh?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Re: Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:38:17 am »
+2
The "bow" of most crossbows is metal, and they usually have metal components (the ratcheting mechanism, trigger, etc.). Unless you are also a metalworker I would suggest trying your luck at a bow (it will be shit unless you keep making more) or try for a spear thrower/atlatl. Spear throwers can be very ornate if you are doing it as hobby and want to produce a nice handworked item, but you can also make a decent one with minimal investment of time and tools.

Whittling and flint knapping are easy to pick up and learn. If you put your mind to it you can make crude versions of paleolithic hunting gear that could feasibly be used to kill prey. It's a nice activity to pass time if you are outdoorsy and enjoy camping or multiple-day hiking trips. Bring home a fishing spear, stone-tipped spear, or a spear thrower and stack of throwing spears. They make for neat home decor and can spark discussions if you have guests over that are into that kind of thing.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:51:37 am »
+1
The "bow" of most crossbows is metal, and they usually have metal components (the ratcheting mechanism, trigger, etc.). Unless you are also a metalworker I would suggest trying your luck at a bow (it will be shit unless you keep making more) or try for a spear thrower/atlatl. Spear throwers can be very ornate if you are doing it as hobby and want to produce a nice handworked item, but you can also make a decent one with minimal investment of time and tools.

Whittling and flint knapping are easy to pick up and learn. If you put your mind to it you can make crude versions of paleolithic hunting gear that could feasibly be used to kill prey. It's a nice activity to pass time if you are outdoorsy and enjoy camping or multiple-day hiking trips. Bring home a fishing spear, stone-tipped spear, or a spear thrower and stack of throwing spears. They make for neat home decor and can spark discussions if you have guests over that are into that kind of thing.

I know that but the body of it would be wooden. I'm not suggesting an entire crossbow made of wood. I guess I wasn't clear on that. I just meant a wooden crossbow like this..

Rather than a crossbow out of pvc which apparently is common.

Throwing spears would be cool though. Hmm.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:02:00 am »
+2
Oh, then totally, go for it. As long as you can source the metal components and have the tools for it, a crossbow frame would be relatively easy.

It is a lot of fun to try and make stone age tools from scratch when you're camping though. It's a great way to spend time around the campfire instead of drinking beer or reading a book that you could read at home. The spear thrower is easier to make than the spears if you are going for a functional weapon. Properly weighted spears require a lot of practice, but even with shitty ones you can really thunk them into a deer-sized target at 30m distance.

I'm not a serious survivalist or anything, but it's a fun hobby to practice arts that would (in theory) help you to survive by nothing but your own mind and body. It's easy to daydream that you're really out there alone in a long-lost time as you do stuff like that. Good feels. Artsy crafts like basketweaving and beadwork are in the same vein, but something about the tool-making hunter stuff really turns my knobs the right way. Hope you give it a try.  :)

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:50:31 am »
+1
Is it even legal to posess a bow/xbow outside of countries like the USA?

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 10:54:22 am »
+1
I don't own one, but I'm pretty sure you can own a crossbow without any license or paperwork in the US. My old coworker had one, and made it sound like he bought it and went home to shoot targets in his backyard without any fuss.

As long as other hunting weapons like bolt-action rifles and compound bows are legal to possess, I don't see why a crossbow wouldn't be. But I'm not a lawyer. And I didn't even google it.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 11:02:03 am »
+1
Anyone know a link or info on making a crossbow?

I've gotten the itch to make something and for some reason, I want to make a crossbow. I'd prefer instructions on making one that's wooden.

I've looked and most of the stuff I've found isn't very instructive or just show makings of rather than schematics or a manual/step by step directions.

Besides I'm a ranged my old friend (sometimes) ingame. Might as well do it irl too eh?

How good are you at metalwork? no such thing as wooden crossbow. Well, same parts of a rifle that can be wooden, can be wooden on a crossbow. So... the very easy to carve parts. Its the wings of the bow that will take you time since you are gonna have to build a forge and learn to smelt steel. Or just go down to chinatown and buy a crossbow, and reposses the bow and maybe the trigger mechanism, make yourself a nice wooden frame and finnish it, then fit the bow you stole from your cheap chinese crossbow.

Cause, if crossbows were possible to make without steel, history would have been very different.

(yes I know you can make a crossbow with a wooden bow but if would be suffering the entire time it was cocked and the power limits of wood ina  size that would still be a crossbow and not a ballista mean you would be limited to shooting down cans across your desk, not hunting anything decent)
I don't know enough

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 07:42:00 pm »
+1
I don't own one, but I'm pretty sure you can own a crossbow without any license or paperwork in the US. My old coworker had one, and made it sound like he bought it and went home to shoot targets in his backyard without any fuss.

As long as other hunting weapons like bolt-action rifles and compound bows are legal to possess, I don't see why a crossbow wouldn't be. But I'm not a lawyer. And I didn't even google it.

you are correct, though state laws vary, you may purchase one and bring it home that day, no questions asked, they are placed below hunting rifles in that their registration isnt even done, while most states allow the release of hunting rifles/shotguns that day, of course after you register it with the appropriate paperwork, but you wont be waiting(pending state law, some make you wait days, some dont). 

I dont think many people know this, but the manufacturing of weapons is completely legal, you can make your own weapons if you have the means, albeit, you cannot sell them without a FFL, and your state laws allow such weapons in the state.  They actually sell jigs for bending metal into AK's online so you can create your own lower.  So knowing this, i dont think the crafting of a crossbow would be a problem.  If you can craft bazookas i think you are allowed to craft something that shoots sharpened chop sticks.

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 04:01:21 am »
How good are you at metalwork? no such thing as wooden crossbow. Well, same parts of a rifle that can be wooden, can be wooden on a crossbow. So... the very easy to carve parts. Its the wings of the bow that will take you time since you are gonna have to build a forge and learn to smelt steel. Or just go down to chinatown and buy a crossbow, and reposses the bow and maybe the trigger mechanism, make yourself a nice wooden frame and finnish it, then fit the bow you stole from your cheap chinese crossbow.

Cause, if crossbows were possible to make without steel, history would have been very different.

(yes I know you can make a crossbow with a wooden bow but if would be suffering the entire time it was cocked and the power limits of wood ina  size that would still be a crossbow and not a ballista mean you would be limited to shooting down cans across your desk, not hunting anything decent)

Yeah like witchcraft pointed out, I wasn't clear on what I meant by wooden crossbow. I simply meant for the frame, not the entire thing. See the pic I put up a few posts up.

I've been able to find piecemeal guides and such that give ways to make them but nothing that gives a good format the whole way through. Never done this before so I kind of wanted more info than just the frame but I guess I can just go with the frame and go from there.

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 04:03:48 am »
+1
you are correct, though state laws vary, you may purchase one and bring it home that day, no questions asked, they are placed below hunting rifles in that their registration isnt even done, while most states allow the release of hunting rifles/shotguns that day, of course after you register it with the appropriate paperwork, but you wont be waiting(pending state law, some make you wait days, some dont). 

I dont think many people know this, but the manufacturing of weapons is completely legal, you can make your own weapons if you have the means, albeit, you cannot sell them without a FFL, and your state laws allow such weapons in the state.  They actually sell jigs for bending metal into AK's online so you can create your own lower.  So knowing this, i dont think the crafting of a crossbow would be a problem.  If you can craft bazookas i think you are allowed to craft something that shoots sharpened chop sticks.

WAIT WAIT HOLD UP?!

YOU CAN MAKE A BAZOOKA LEGALLY?

OMG!

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 04:45:35 am »
+1
lol,  was a bit of an exaggeration i would say, but yes, pretty much, good luck convincing them its for deer hunting.(i meant the term bazooka as in a big as rifle, rather then the little rocket launcher  :D)

(I dont think you can craft an actual "bazooka" but you can assuredly purchase one, albeit your state laws permit it.) 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

"9. May I lawfully make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made for
resale?
Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the GCA
provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as set forth in regulations in 27 C.F.R. 478.39. In
addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF. An
application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing
that the firearm is being made for the official use of a Federal, State, or local government agency (18
U.S.C. § 922(o),(r); 26 U.S.C. § 5822; 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.39, 479.62, and 479.105)."

I know we arent talking about firearms, but considering the legality in play with those, i cant see there being anything against a crossbow, nor have i heard of any laws.

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 05:07:38 am »
lol,  was a bit of an exaggeration i would say, but yes, pretty much, good luck convincing them its for deer hunting.(i meant the term bazooka as in a big as rifle, rather then the little rocket launcher  :D)

"9. May I lawfully make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made for
resale?
Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the GCA
provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as set forth in regulations in 27 C.F.R. 478.39. In
addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF. An
application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing
that the firearm is being made for the official use of a Federal, State, or local government agency (18
U.S.C. § 922(o),(r); 26 U.S.C. § 5822; 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.39, 479.62, and 479.105)."

I know we arent talking about firearms, but considering the legality in play with those, i cant see there being anything against a crossbow, nor have i heard of any laws.

Nah no problem. I figured it was legal as long as I didn't try to sell it. Nice to know it seems to actually be ok to do so since I did no checking on this whatsoever on the legal end.

Offline Hobb

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 96
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 05:37:52 am »
+6
step 1: make crossbow