Author Topic: Upkeep No Longer Works  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
Upkeep No Longer Works
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:45:48 pm »
+2
I've been playing this mod a long time. People were annoyed at the way old established players accumulated money and got to run about as super skilled tin cans or bump everyone to death on a plated charger like The_Finn used to do. So, in came Upkeep. Now you had to continually pay for expensive stuff nobody could do that anymore and in came the soft level cap so nobody would be able to get too far ahead in PS and WPF either.

This has worked for a while, but now, we are back where we were before upkeep. I don't think anyone back then saw the mod lasting another four years. With nobody much above above level 30 for very long, it's very hard to get ahead in terms of WPF or Health or Power Anything. Any build that is too successful gets adopted by everyone before being nerfed by the devs to balance things out. So, that leaves gear as the only way to get ahead and thanks to clan banks, sale of loompoints and transfer between alts, there are players with millions in gold for whom expense is no object at all; they can ignore the upkeep rules (four plated chargers out of 30 players on EU1 last night) and party like it's 2010.

We need some kind of new system, but I can't think yet what it would be... I don't want to see everyone wiped and restarted but it might come to that.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 400
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Upkeep No Longer Works
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 06:12:55 pm »
+4
your just gonna have to face the facts that the devs here DONT KNOW WTF TO DO

crpg is a mod with a HUGE identity crisis, with some of the players playing it as a serious war sim, and the rest just trying to have fun and joke around

i stayed away from crpg for years, cuz i heard it was an unbalanced joke...which can be a lot of fun if ur just looking to have a fun time / pub stomp

the problem is, the devs really dont know whether they want a war sim, or a ridiculous joke.

personally i think they should just make it a joke, 200 wpf in every thing, crazy lvl 50 builds for everyone, archers with shields and sheathable flamberges riding armored bears...armed with tommyguns

the more the try to "balance" things...the more i want to go back to native...crpg, u are not native, you will never get it right / have nearly the balance that native does....why not just admit ur mod is a fucking joke, and let everyone have fun with it...make everything and everyone op and ul never have to hear about how this should be nerfed, or that should be buffed, cuz in the end...who cares in this mod? its just a joke...isnt it?
I REMEMBER PLAYING IN RAIN
THROUGH THE NIGHTFALL WITH FOG
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
BUT IM MORE HORRIFIED OF A MOD
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 06:18:29 pm »
+5
I'd rather fight 2 tins cans than an agility polearmer in leather. Plate makes you slow, and pierce/blunt weapons cut through armor like it's not there.

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 06:21:58 pm »
+1
OMG I CANT BELIVE WHAT I JUST READ!!!

SOMEONE IN CRPG ACTUALLY HAS A WORKING BRAIN!!! AMAZING!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

GIVE YOUR SELF A PAT ON THE BACK PHEW!

not very often you find people with working brains in crpg...how refreshing
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 06:26:37 pm »
The moment people realise Joker86 was right all along.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 06:39:52 pm »
+3
your just gonna have to face the facts that the devs here DONT KNOW WTF TO DO

crpg is a mod with a HUGE identity crisis, with some of the players playing it as a serious war sim, and the rest just trying to have fun and joke around

i stayed away from crpg for years, cuz i heard it was an unbalanced joke...which can be a lot of fun if ur just looking to have a fun time / pub stomp

the problem is, the devs really dont know whether they want a war sim, or a ridiculous joke.

personally i think they should just make it a joke, 200 wpf in every thing, crazy lvl 50 builds for everyone, archers with shields and sheathable flamberges riding armored bears...armed with tommyguns

the more the try to "balance" things...the more i want to go back to native...crpg, u are not native, you will never get it right / have nearly the balance that native does....why not just admit ur mod is a fucking joke, and let everyone have fun with it...make everything and everyone op and ul never have to hear about how this should be nerfed, or that should be buffed, cuz in the end...who cares in this mod? its just a joke...isnt it?

OMG I CANT BELIVE WHAT I JUST READ!!!

SOMEONE IN CRPG ACTUALLY HAS A WORKING BRAIN!!! AMAZING!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

GIVE YOUR SELF A PAT ON THE BACK PHEW!

not very often you find people with working brains in crpg...how refreshing

Two failed troll attempts just 1 post apart, you should probably give up mate :lol:

But yeah onto the subject, I don't think anything major is going to happen to the upkeep system or in fact anything major in CRPG.  There aren't going to be any full wipes unless somehow all the data gets magically lost either ( i.e chadz accidentally on purpose destroys it all ). Just face it, mod is ded.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:44:05 pm by Leesin »

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 06:44:03 pm »
+3
I'd rather fight 2 tins cans than an agility polearmer in leather. Plate makes you slow, and pierce/blunt weapons cut through armor like it's not there.

come to EU

the top scorers are all full plate spamming with very high damage cut weapons (on horseback and on foot)
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 07:14:03 pm »
+5

Man... always gotta be hating on the polearmer. Not the agi spamming shitlord with a 2hander? Not the agi swashfuckler? C'mon Phew, don't discriminate!

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 07:28:01 pm »
Two failed troll attempts just 1 post apart, you should probably give up mate :lol:

But yeah onto the subject, I don't think anything major is going to happen to the upkeep system or in fact anything major in CRPG.  There aren't going to be any full wipes unless somehow all the data gets magically lost either ( i.e chadz accidentally on purpose destroys it all ). Just face it, mod is ded.

Those weren't troll attempts you idiot, those are my actual thoughts. The mod is a joke, and they shouldve kept it that way, when people talk about crpg's golden years, they are talking about the years i missed out on, when people actually did have 200 wpf in everything / had weapons like boulder on stick.

People always say those were the funnest times in crpg, and thats what crpg should be about, just a joky place to pub stomp and have fun in.

These days everyone just bitches at the list of things buffed, and nerfed in an attempt to make things more fair and balanced?

this is crpg ffs, there is NO SUCH THING AS A FAIR BALANCED RPG WITH PVP, there just isnt, there are just way too many variables to make it even close to fair / balanced.

You think any new player has a hope in hell vs all the high lvl, high agi super loomers?

And thats why crpg died, it drove its older players away with unwanted changes, and new players dont stand a chance.

THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 07:47:34 pm »
Man... always gotta be hating on the polearmer. Not the agi spamming shitlord with a 2hander? Not the agi swashfuckler? C'mon Phew, don't discriminate!

I don't see many agility 2h anymore, mostly guys in light armor with 9+ athletics and a +3 War Spear or similar. Something about spear sideswing animations make them appear to swing much faster than a Longsword, and 22b is still a lot of damage.

I can't think of many players that are better in plate than they would be in loomed medium armor (which is probably why most people wear loomed medium armor).

Offline Life

• Marshall
  • Renown: 763
  • Infamy: 281
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mod is dead.
  • Game nicks: Assassin_Life, Efil, iK_Life
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 07:58:50 pm »
+2
plate does make u slow, but y should people be able to wear plate and have 7 or 8 athletics? they're not very slow anymore.
Assassin Video
My custom crosshair

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 08:05:59 pm »
I don't see many agility 2h anymore, mostly guys in light armor with 9+ athletics and a +3 War Spear or similar. Something about spear sideswing animations make them appear to swing much faster than a Longsword, and 22b is still a lot of damage.

I can't think of many players that are better in plate than they would be in loomed medium armor (which is probably why most people wear loomed medium armor).

EU has ninjas.

And, it seems you have not encountered a fully loomed plated guy with a swiss halberd spamming overheads while waiting for you to glance on him. Or others 1h or 2h weapon. It first gives you a huge boost to your survivability against range, and secondly gives you this "glance" possibility when ganking/being ganked/duelling.

Biggest problem with righ guys is cav though. People explained how cav was balanced BECAUSE it was expensive.
Nowadays, semi-heavy horse + plated guy + 1h/shield are roaming the battlefield on EU, and are just so tough to kill.

There's litterally NO 1h not usable on horseback, i believe, even though it's mainly ACS used. So, for all 1h/shielders, the "usual" evolution, at lv33 and beyond, is putting points in riding. That's all.

If there's one class, luckily, that can't "evolve" on horse at high level, it's range, since you actually need to invest points in Horse Archery too. So it's pretty expensive. But for all others, there's no real reason, except for fun, or liking the travel by foot, to not get a war horse or whatever.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 08:08:37 pm »
plate does make u slow, but y should people be able to wear plate and have 7 or 8 athletics? they're not very slow anymore.

Max armor full plate weighs about 38 kg, which negates about 5-6 athletics, plus the speed penalty due to weapon weight and length. So even with 8 athletics and full plate, you have the "effective athletics" of a peasant.

Meanwhile, someone in loomed medium armor and the same build has an "effective" athletics of 4-5, and only takes one fewer swing from a bec/pick/mace/etc to kill than the guy in full plate. That's why most people go this route.

Nowadays, semi-heavy horse + plated guy + 1h/shield are roaming the battlefield on EU, and are just so tough to kill.

Yet another reason to play siege instead of battle. Hardly any cav.

Offline SMEGMAR

• Earl
  • Renown: 463
  • Infamy: 316
  • Swag so dope, snapback rehab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 08:11:12 pm »
+3

While I agree with 90% of this, you've got to admit that the longaxe is a longsword now.

Smegmar #1 NA HOC guy that actually doesn't suck dick at cRPG

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 08:31:16 pm »
I blame Strat!
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works