Author Topic: 1hand or shield issue (crpg public server)  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Novamere

• Duke
  • Renown: 599
  • Infamy: 273
  • cRPG Player
  • Feed me your tears!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Knightmare_
Re: 1hand or shield issue (crpg public server)
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 05:13:30 pm »
Arrowaine everytime i fight or see you ur too plain u need to add in some massive feinting or holds and you would destroy!

Offline Sir_Firebus

• Count
  • Renown: 264
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC-BRD, Unicern, Narwhals, Cavaliers.
  • Game nicks: firebus Cavaliers_SwagBus Suberif Juggernot
  • IRC nick: firebus
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 05:23:59 pm »
Playing on my 1h and shield STF is easier than my lvl 34 2h sometimes. I don't see how you can have trouble when you are also a high level shielder. I think you should try using different weapons.
BRD BRD BRD, BRD is the word!

When you lose a duel you are improving; when you win a duel you are measuring your improvement.

Offline protox2k

• Earl
  • Renown: 304
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mango
  • Game nicks: Soft_Juicy_Mango
  • IRC nick: Kev
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 05:33:27 pm »
+1
i can't really say much about 1h with shield because its 3 atm lol at level 33

1h is still the hardest class to use melee wise due to its damage. Now this doesn't include OP weapons like elite scim/ speed over101 gear.

If you use anything else expect to have trouble attacking when outnumbered (Depending on shield too)

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 05:45:11 pm »

Offline Working_Class

• Baron
  • Renown: 139
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sloths, Squids, Frisia? Who even knows anymore
  • Game nicks: WorkingClass_ , ScumFuck_FlowerBoy
  • IRC nick: WorkingClass
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 05:46:34 pm »
+1
Im having a shitload of trouble too, ive been using a paramerion with an elite cav shield and i just cant seem to be able to do shit. It might just be cause the sword is slow as fuck and predictable, but still i remember being able to spam with an arabian cav sword not too long ago
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 05:54:59 pm »
+3
1 handers are great. Even with my 138 wpf they are super fast and people seem to get the wrong block more than with either pole or 2 hand. The overhead is possibly the best overhead in the game. All the animations have their uses and left/overhead is a head magnet. Because they hit fast you can use holds more than you can with 2 hand or pole which add to the damage. Held attacks that naturally hit the head do some pretty decent damage even if you have lower base damage than 2 hander or poles.

Then you add the shield and you have some extra versatility depending on your situation. Near the end of the round the shield will save your life, or if you want to stay active with lots of ranged ahead. In a melee it allows you to completely focus on offence since there is less risk involved. There are pro's and cons to manual block though. Sometimes its better than a shield, sometimes not

Don't think I like the idea of changing right swing. Its good as it is, don't think we need to make it so you don't think about which attack type to use
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline HardRice

• Marshall
  • Renown: 740
  • Infamy: 161
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 187/Alligator
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 05:56:35 pm »
+1
Get a long reaching sword and right swing away.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 06:02:03 pm »
+1
I'll PM you some tips.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 06:06:02 pm »
Even when playing as a 1h shielder with only 35 wpf, a spathion, and a heavy round shield, I find it to be quite effective. Yes I am considerably slower at swinging compared to most other classes (most likely due to having a heavy shield, slow 1h, and almost no wpf) but that is something that can easily be helped by the use of footwork. I have seen countless dedicated shielders able to double swing against even the quickest of agi builds by using proper footwork (and left swing spam). In my opinion, 1h shielders have a unique advantage when feinting, and even with my slow speed feint spamming proves to be massively effective against most enemies, even if I use repetitive movements. Currently I really don't see anything wrong with the right swing after the last buff that sped it up ever so slightly. It gives great, often under-estimated, reach and isn't too slow or anything. This buff is unnecessary and coming entirely out of left field.

I'll PM you some tips.

Super secret 1h shielder sorcery, too good to be allowed to become public knowledge!

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 06:14:29 pm »
+3
1h/shield a couple years ago was all about left swing spam with a scimitar or similar. That tactic isn't the most effective anymore; now it's all about:
-Spam dat neutral nudge, it really messes up people's rhythm and does serious damage to low armor people
-Use your Side Sword, hold a stab, but aim it to your left of your target like you are going to stab someone else. Then drag the stab to your right into them. It looks stupid, but 2h and pole live off abusing stabs also, so join the club.
-Spin overhead is the new left swing. Most people won't reliably block them. Doesn't work well with 100+ cm swords (they get stuck in the ground and stun you)

Sideswings in general (all melee types) are much weaker now since the sweetspot changes, unless you are using a blunt or pierce weapon or fighting someone in low armor. So you basically should play your 1h char like it's a 2d polearm. I'll go hours without doing a right swing, so I don't really care what devs do to it. Stab has more reach, more damage, and is faster anyway. You just have to be more mindful of glances and stun.

Offline protox2k

• Earl
  • Renown: 304
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mango
  • Game nicks: Soft_Juicy_Mango
  • IRC nick: Kev
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 06:46:19 pm »
:l

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 10:02:49 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)

I would listen to Phew his birth certificate shows he was born using a knightly kite shield and a military hammer.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 10:10:24 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I would listen to Phew his birth certificate shows he was born using a knightly kite shield and a military hammer.

When has he ever used that?

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 10:13:09 pm »
When has he ever used that?

I spent like a year using military hammer when they first added it, back when siege was actually populated and you could run around clonking people on the head a midst the chaos. Now you're lucky to have another human on siege to duel with, so I use swords mostly. The Danish greatsword was the FOTM back then, so the military hammer was actually fast by comparison. Now it seems as slow as a Long Maul.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:20:38 pm by Phew »

Offline Veniathan

• Count
  • Renown: 213
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hey nigga your lance is 10 meter long or something
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
  • Faction: Kievan Rus
  • Game nicks: Zvonimir_of_Rus
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 10:28:33 pm »
+2
I will give you one word of advice. Do not stop playing, and most importantly enjoy yourself.

People here might go far as to tell you to drop shield completely if you want any kills, just don't listen to these people. They are extreme to their gameplay and do not understand why people want shields. Even if you can manually block. Do whatever you notice is making a difference, I'm new. I do this too, and it helps me a lot.

Backpedal and spam stab, it will work on idiots. Try to be unpredictable. Use all of your attack directions etc. Do not forget to nudge, but you must time it. Use your shield as a weapon, have atleast 5 Shield Skill. NO lower.

I recommend: Any norman shields, Kite Shield, Heavy Heater Shield.

But use whatever feels good to you, that's the most important part. Also be annoying, circle people with your shield up when your teammates are around. They will get confused and open their backs to a 2hander whom will probably 1hit them. If you want super agressive build, then you will just learn from experience like all things in life.

Try going for REACH in weapons. 1handers are usually short, reach will put you on a new level. You will have more stab power, more control, you will be able to sometimes right swing without any risk. Seriously, Long Arming Sword, Italian Sword and probably many others. Just use anything about 85 reach.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:32:07 pm by Veniathan »
I duel 1vs1 horse vs horse. Dude have nigga long lance that have 10 metres long or something.

Many time i can see as people use this script where horse just standing on 2 feets and does "yhohohohoh".