Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 28313 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #195 on: December 31, 2014, 12:54:18 pm »
+3
That is actually a valid reason, carebears have destroyed so many good games. Boo-hoo, someone killing me doesn't fit my invincible hero roleplay.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #196 on: December 31, 2014, 02:52:47 pm »
+5
A 3 picture tale of stupidity (mine), revenge (mine) and stupid luck (mine too)...
Well, the 3 pictures just show the end of the tale really. Spoiler: It's a happy end! :P

I am flying a trade route that is one way high profit and the other covering the fuel costs, more than that but it ain't as much. I sacrificed a bit of cargo (6t) on my Cobra to fit an FSD Interdictor and a Kill-Warrant-Scanner. That way I can be all carebear on the high profit way and go Bounty Hunting on the way back.
That was my idea. Well, I don't always follow my own guidelines... :?

On my high profit way, I spotted this Imperial Clipper on my radar with a Wanted status. Since I haven't seen one close up, I thought "How hard can it be?" (read that with the voice of Jeremy Clarkson and you know what's coming :D) and started my Interdiction run. Funny enough, he managed to interdict me instead which I was fine with, could switch on full artillery directly w/o the Kill-Scanner. We dropped out of Cruise and he instantly started firing on me. Took me a moment to noticed that it weren't mere Lasers. Noooo... he shot me with 4! Multi-Cannons D:

I deployed my weapons and fired back. It was a fun dog fight until he started shredding through my shields and I took heavy damage. "To flee or not to flee, is the question." Well, it was too late to get out of there. Shields down, hull down to 58%. I never would have made it out there alive with this big gunner behind me.
He was down to 65% too, so I had no choice than to fight back harder. Got 2 nice double hits with my cannons in and avoid a bunch of his bullets, he was down to 30%, we both swooped around and came frontal at each other, both firing all we got. My cannons do one hell of damage when they hit. Suddenly my glass shield bursted and the oxygen message popped up D: Oh boy, straight at each other I kept hitting him with my Multis and pulled out and with my last 10 bullets I actually killed him. \o/

No time for joy tho. Lucky I fitted my Cobra with a better Life Support System before I started. 7:30 minutes. I was in an Anarchy system, no stations, so I had to do a jump to the next system where I knew was a Coriolis station I could reach. All power to the engines, FSD activated. Due to the broken glass shield, my HUD is mostly gone and I couldn't really see where I had to go. I managed the jump and arrived battered in the next system with my saving station. Still some time to cruise, hopefully I would make it or all my Credits and my trusty Cobra would be gone and I had to start a new...

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

The standard Life Support System has 5 minutes oxygen. The one I fitted right before the fight has 7:30 minutes. It saved my life! :D
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 31, 2014, 03:46:48 pm »
+1
I escaped with 3% hull once, good times :D

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 31, 2014, 05:34:07 pm »
+1
It's pretty stupid to go into a USS with all you credits as Gold in your back. I do know that. But I'm always curious what might be inside those...
Already made it a few times barely alive out of those. And since the punishment for failure is so harsh in Elite, it's actually really intense and satisfying to survive once more or like the above, even get the kill against all odds and make it back to live another day...

I really do enjoy my time in Elite. Don't care if NPCs or player give me this kind of rush... it's just a good gaming time above all.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2015, 11:35:17 am »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Love it. Switched the low mounted multicannon for another missile rack by now. But damn, those Multicannons are awesome. Takes a moment longer to rip down the shields but man, they do melt through hull like nothing else. And seeker missile is just fun...

Not to mention the awesome view you get in a cobra with those big multicannons :D

Dakkadakkadakka :D

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2015, 03:01:48 pm »
The spitting range though

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 03, 2015, 06:00:12 pm »
True, Multis are a waste further than 1km distance but a Cobra is on the faster side of speed, haven't had any issues getting close with a 408 boost :D

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2015, 07:22:56 pm »
"Best experience with Elite: Dangerous"

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79319&page=2

Thanks for nothing Nvidia

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2015, 09:42:41 pm »
"Best experience with Elite: Dangerous"

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79319&page=2

Thanks for nothing Nvidia
Dang it...

Here, have some trading help:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2015, 11:38:24 pm »
I tried playing without the Oculus for the first time and damn this game sucks.

EDIT: they seriously need to balance the profit of each activity. You can gets several millions in an hour of trading, but no more than 100k if you're very lucky exploring. Combat isn't great either as the only real profit comes from pirate lord missions which are random.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:41:51 pm by Kafein »

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #206 on: January 11, 2015, 07:38:07 pm »
+4
This game has converted two console peasants at my workplace to PCGMRM. Just sayin'.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2015, 08:48:37 pm »
+1
I was close to buying this on my payday, instead I opted for a new pair of Vans. Why? After spending some time reading and watching stuff from all kinds of players ( negative and positive opinions equally ) I can tell that it IS a decent game and has a lot of potential, BUT it clearly needs a lot more content before I personally would enjoy it for more than a week or two. Basically I know that I'd get bored quickly killing NPCs and the occasional player and I dont have much of an interest in trading or exploring, trading being by far the most profitable thing to do but that's just not fun for me. I will grab this at a later date when there is a bigger drive to the game than just mainly grinding cash.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2015, 11:05:38 pm »
+1
This game has converted two console peasants at my workplace to PCGMRM. Just sayin'.

Amen to that.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2015, 10:28:35 am »
I was close to buying this on my payday, instead I opted for a new pair of Vans. Why? After spending some time reading and watching stuff from all kinds of players ( negative and positive opinions equally ) I can tell that it IS a decent game and has a lot of potential, BUT it clearly needs a lot more content before I personally would enjoy it for more than a week or two. Basically I know that I'd get bored quickly killing NPCs and the occasional player and I dont have much of an interest in trading or exploring, trading being by far the most profitable thing to do but that's just not fun for me. I will grab this at a later date when there is a bigger drive to the game than just mainly grinding cash.
If you want spaceship pvp then do not buy Elite. That's not the intended design of the game. Stick to StarCitizen for that.
There are a bunch of people in the Elite forum complaining about the lack of pvp capabilities and they always get the same answer: you bought the wrong game - go to EVE or StarCitizen.

Elite is Elite. It's not everyone's cup of Tea and I am glad they're not trying to be. Already the heavy instancing of the players doesn't really allow for massive pvp and dare to say that this isn't what the majority of the players is looking for. It's basically a Single Player game with an option to multiplay once in a while. But there is no focus on it.
They're working on "Wings" which will add group-play features like shared bounties and stuff but it will never be what you're looking for, I guess.