Author Topic: Effect of carrying a shield on back  (Read 917 times)

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Effect of carrying a shield on back
« on: April 14, 2014, 01:26:35 am »
+1
I've started a 2H STF character for the first time.  I want to know if carrying a shield on my back will slow down my weapon or movement speed.  I've been told conflicting info on it.  I want the most wep speed but I don't want to get crucified by the ranged.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Effect of carrying a shield on back
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:35:26 am »
+2
The movement speed penalty from shield weight is equivalent to extra armour weight. It doesn't affect swing speed at all, though.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 02:31:13 am »
Thanks San.  I just made a 2H toon and wonder if I should carry a shield.  It sounds as if it will just slow down my running but not the sword play.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:12:55 pm »
+1
For a back shield, you want high armor (since projectiles that hit the shield on your back see your body armor+shield's armor+10) and low weight. Thus, the Leather Covered Round Shield is the ideal back shield. When loomed, it gives you +42 armor against any projectiles hitting your back, so even loomed bodkins fired from loomed longbows will do <10 dmg (assuming you wear loomed medium armor). It's also large enough that it covers your back/head well.

The Hide Covered Round Shield is also a good if you don't have any shield skill, it offers almost as much armor for even less weight.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:17:17 pm by Phew »

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 06:21:50 pm »
+2
doesn't effect weapon speed but it greatly slows your running speed and acceleration/stopping speed

and also a massive good luck when its raining because i doubt you will make it to the enemy before the round ends.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 06:28:35 pm »
+3
What about bucklers. When sheathed they sit on your hip. Do they still block damage to your back, or does it block damage to your leg or chest???

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 08:34:47 am »
+1
bump because I am still curious.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline jergu

• Baron
  • Renown: 137
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 09:48:58 pm »
What about bucklers. When sheathed they sit on your hip. Do they still block damage to your back, or does it block damage to your leg or chest???

You got me interested in this so i decided to test it. All shots are from same distance and almost hit the same spot.
Without shield
(click to show/hide)

With steel buckler sheathed
(click to show/hide)

With weaker shield. Elite cavalry shield
(click to show/hide)

What these show is that sheathed buckler doesn't reduce dmg