Poll

Should the Katana and B-Swords be worn on the back?

Yes, they are 2 slot weapons, ON THE BACK!
10 (13.7%)
YES! Looks so stylish!
5 (6.8%)
Should be chosen by player.
11 (15.1%)
NO! Will look filthy!
38 (52.1%)
Katana yes, B-swords NO. (Or vice versa)
9 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Back Sheaths for 2 slots + poll  (Read 2992 times)

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
Re: Back Sheaths for 2 slots + poll
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 05:55:40 pm »
Well, that was just the reason slots were removed, ppl were carrying lance + bow + arrows + flamberge lol

In the current state of the game, that would be kind of op.
If you make all large weapons unsheathable (like they should be!), then regardless of the # of slots assigned to them two things immediately apply:

1. You cannot carry two unsheathable weapons (so no lance+flamberg, or pike+poleaxe, etc)
2. If you switched weapons the unsheathable drops. So in the example of lance+bow, you have to start with the lance in hand. If the players switched to bow the lance dropped and while galloping on a horse it means bye-bye to the lance.

Conclusion:
Lowering the slots # of unsheathable weapons is a good idea if and only if ALL large weapons are  made unsheathable. This means all pure 2H swords and nearly all polearms.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 06:07:54 pm »
If you make all large weapons unsheathable (like they should be!), then regardless of the # of slots assigned to them two things immediately apply:

1. You cannot carry two unsheathable weapons (so no lance+flamberg, or pike+poleaxe, etc)
2. If you switched weapons the unsheathable drops. So in the example of lance+bow, you have to start with the lance in hand. If the players switched to bow the lance dropped and while galloping on a horse it means bye-bye to the lance.

Conclusion:
Lowering the slots # of unsheathable weapons is a good idea if and only if ALL large weapons are  made unsheathable. This means all pure 2H swords and nearly all polearms.

A simple leather loop attached to the back of your armor allows you to sheath a great many weapons like 2h swords and polearms that are reasonably short (e.g. for 2h swords, the blade should be shorter than the distance from the loop to the bottom, obviously, which might rule out the flamberge, but not all the other 2h swords).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 12:30:48 am »
2H swords were packed and slang over the shoulder for travel. The 2H swords in game have 120 cm of blade and an overall length of 150 cm or more, quite similar to many real swords. The length of your arm is much less than 120cm and this is the distance from the shoulder you need to pull in order to get the blade in/out of this loop you describe. It is completely impractical in real life - the user arrived to the battle with the sword in hand and did not sheath it till he was preparing to travel again.

In game terms, which is much more important, the unsheathable tag makes the weapon a "primary" weapon by definition: you can have only one, start with it in hand and loose it if you pull out another weapon/shield. This naturally eliminates the xbow-flambergers, the archer-poleaxer, thrower-longaxeman etc. A hybrid limiter, which was one of the goals. It does not even require slot # limitation.

Large 2H weapons and polearms are role defining weapons. A bow is what makes an archer, if you carry a pike you are a pikeman fore and foremost and if you carry a big ass 2H sword you are primary big ass swordman - you do not bring a meter and a half sword as a sidearm, nor a polearm like the Bec, nor a GLA.

I think that this is a perfect and fair balanced system. I see no problem setting all slot # of unsheathable weapons to 1. Lance+shield+longsword sounds like a reasonable setup which will be allowed if unsheathable lance requires 1 slot. Lance+shield+GLA not so much and should be ruled out when the GLA gets the unsheathable flag.

Offline Lady_Cicilia_Rosewood

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 02:11:47 am »
good read
MouthnHoof lays it out nicelly

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 10:39:18 am »
It's not impractical at all, I have a scottish claymore and can easily "sheath" it into my back loop and also "unsheath" it in a matter of 1-2 seconds. It's no lightsabre, you know, it's perfectly possible to touch it on the blade.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 11:14:23 am »
I was about to make a long explanatory post as to why that is stupid and they can't be drawn from there -- but mouthnHoof already did a good job.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 12:31:49 pm »
It's not impractical at all, I have a scottish claymore and can easily "sheath" it into my back loop and also "unsheath" it in a matter of 1-2 seconds. It's no lightsabre, you know, it's perfectly possible to touch it on the blade.
Touching the blade without propper care will rust it

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 04:29:00 pm »
I'd love to see it. Sure, I can unsheath a sword which hangs on my back from shoulder to ankle by hanging upside down from a tree.

Regardless, my main arguments is gameplay and balance. The fact that it goes hand in hand with historical accuracy is the icing. "Unsheathable" tag create primary and secondary weapons. It solves many previous balancing problems even without slot # limitations. Flagging ALL** large weapons as unsheathable allows to reduce the slot requirement of such weapons to 1.
Advantages:
1. Cannot carry two large primary weapons even if slots are available (example: pike+GLA, pike+German)
2. All ranged hybrids will loose they melee weapon if they bring one and switch to xbow/bow/throw. Archers cannot shoot and then pull out a Bec/GLA/German. Hybrids that wish to switch back and forth between melee/range must use 1H or short 2H weapons.
3. The lowered slot requirement for large unsheathable weapons allows a more varied secondary equipment selection which is not overpowered. Example: Lance+shield+2slot medium melee item like bastard. Or two small weapons.
4. Makes 1h and other short 2H weapons much more valuable even if you do not intend to use a shield because you can always carry it.
5. Exposes 2H sword / polearm users to ranged because they cannot carry the unsheathable weapon when holding a shield - need more team work.

**ALL - Practically every 2H item which currently carried on the back. Some concessions are possible for short 2H weapons like some axes. All polearms - yes, ALL of them: Poleaxes, Bardiches, GLA are all fine pieces, but the concession is that if you bring one, you have to stick with it or drop it. The largest Xbows - in return, the reduced slot requirement get you more bolts, or the ability to carry a large shield, or bringing a siege shield (your pavis), or a 2-slot sheathable weapon. Throwing lances.

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 05:30:37 pm »
The katana is never sheathed on the back.  You cant speed draw that way, iaido doesnt work from the back, and the draw has been an integral part of learning the blade for centuries.

besides.  it looks cool on the waist, and you can tell instantly whether an opponent is usinag a katana or nodachi simply by looking at sheath location.
it would be cool if you equipped both katana and wakazashi if both sheaths were displayed all samurai style

I dont use eastern armors or the katana or nodachi, btw.  but I appreciate the diversity on the field, and I think that altering this would look silly.
the OP is about where to put these specific weapons.... not the entire classes in general.  so lets stay on topic
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:32:32 pm by jspook »
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 08:55:25 pm »
Touching the blade without propper care will rust it
Using the blade in battle will break it.

This is a back scabbard: http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/OL1038.jpg

But a simple leather loop works, too. If you can't imagine how a long, cross-shaped object can be carried in a leather loop attached at the back of your armor, you have my pity. Additional to the back scabbard and the leather loop, a whole host of more sophisticated methods existed to carry long weapons on your back, from simple double hooks to devices with mechanical locks.

I voted no, btw.

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 11:02:54 pm »
I'm serious, if you're going to touch the blade each time...and I imagine you would touch the blade when sheathing it back in....you will rust the blade. I wouldn't want you to handle your claymore like that, good sword's don't come cheap.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 02:24:21 am »
You are serious? Well, I oil my blade regularly, so touching is no problem. Also, I usually wear leather gloves or gauntlets, so touching is no problem at all.

I was serious, too, blocking mace-swings with a blade is not recommended.

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 04:56:31 pm »
the OP is about where to put these specific weapons.... not the entire classes in general.  so lets stay on topic

THANK YOU.

READ FIRST POST:

Slot system and sheathable, unsheathable, incredible, edible, thats ALL ANOTHER DISCUSSION>

The whole point of this thread was to see whether I should try and get backkatana's for community, which I can see from poll only a few want, or whether I should get the model made and just use it myself. I can see its most likely gonna be myself.

To those who say katana cannot be worn and drawn from back

http://cashtank.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_58&products_id=37

I merely want that. To me armour is a....prolonger of life, the sword is the only pure way top defend yourself, well the sword, stick, mace, dagger, hatchet, halberd, THE WEAPON is not affected by ooponents P dmg or B dmg, doesnt break after X number of hits and doesnt need IF points to work. It just works. So for me the weapon is the MOST important thing. And being stylish at all times is MORE important than armour, any decent blocker will tell you. So I just wanted a backsling for the long sidedraw, since katana anymation still seems to run from backsling......

EDIT: Just read back through some posts again: There are records from the Norman (lit. NORTH MAN, tribes once of northern Europe, several generations living in France, pushed out by germanic expansion) during "passifying" of the north of England after 1066 (They killed one person in every 4 in some northern counties)of the anglo-saxons (for those not good on history, read as English, but mostly of Northern European stock themselves, had conquered Britton and the Brittons by aggresive attrition over many generations and vast migration from their harsher climates to gain the arrable land of Britton) arriving with axes slung on their back on 2 things:

1. Slings: Believed to be a leather strap from the base of the axe handle, running to below the head. This would allow slinging and unslinging over the shoulder a matter of maybe 3 to 5 senconds between deciding you want your axe and having it ready to chop.

2. Hooks. One of these has been recovered whole I think, not too many years ago: I cant remember the name but the thing looks like a leather "bondage straps" over the chest, worn over the armour or clothes, and has 2 hooks on the leather straps on the part that runs down from right shoulder to left hip, a large axe could be easily worn and retrieved in under 10 seconds.....resitting it could take longer in a mail shirt I imagine, it looked slightly fiddly if youve got mittens on have been giving yourself blisters all day....

In both these cases the axe was worn with the "head" DOWNwards, and retrieval ("equiping") the axe was done with the right hand over the right shoulder, grasping the end of the handle or the SlingStrap (in cases of it being slung), and making circular motion the axe is brought "round" the body, the right forearm passing over the head, so the axe is "upside down and in the wrong hand" as we imagine it, on the wrong side of the body too, but pivoting it with both hands is a matter of seconds, remember, they were not fighting "Agility stacking Ninjas" and or "Run, jump, land AND PEW" archers, they didnt need to pop from SHIELD to AXE to THROWING every second, you stood in a line, got your shit together, SCREAMED at the enemy untill you had both got your balls up, and then advanced.

(I imagine you could retrieve a "slung" axe by passing the head UNDER the left arm and up into the "rest" position for axe handling in two hands but I have tried this IRL and in a tricky situation it would raise these 2 problems: FIRST, I dont wanna be grabbing blindly behind my left hip for an AXEHEAD with my HAND, that leads to only reaching 9 when you fingercount, and SECOND issue would be: Ok youve swung the axe round in perfect place to enter the fray BUUUUUT its still slung over your back, so good luck fighting with a weapon youve attached to yourself)

You are serious? Well, I oil my blade regularly, so touching is no problem. Also, I usually wear leather gloves or gauntlets, so touching is no problem at all.

I was serious, too, blocking mace-swings with a blade is not recommended.

I dont "oil" my "blade" regularly, since m'lady says "touching is no problem at all" :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:24:38 pm by Grey »
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 08:22:13 pm »
I was obviously not referring to THAT blade, or else my third sentence would have been wrong :).

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 08:36:08 pm »
I dont "oil" my "blade" regularly, since m'lady says "touching is no problem at all" :D

Someone made a suggestion about naming your weapon, but naming the sheath? Cmon! :D

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die