Author Topic: Horsebump More Damage to Light Armor, Why?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Yazid

• tEh eNl1gTh3N3d!1!!
  • Baron
  • Renown: 99
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Horsebump More Damage to Light Armor, Why?
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:43:34 am »
+2
I don't get why chain or plate would protect you more against the brute blunt force of a charging animal, if anything it should be less, because it offers you less mobility to recover or receive the hit. I feel light armor should allow the player to take less fall damage and less horse bump damage because it would be easier to push yourself off the animal and you would have more agility to maneuver than the current situation. Think about it, would you rather be in a suit of armor in front of a charging horse???
or light enough to maneuver out of the way or absorb the blow with nimbleness since you would be aware that you're about to be struck and offer more ability to break your own fall.

I think it would add more balance to the game.
Again I'm not asking to gimp heavy armor in any way regarding this, even though it would be fair to switch places e.g take the penalty currently given to someone wearing light armor when charged by a horse and give it to heavy armors and vice versa. What I'm asking for is to either even them out or think about it more thoroughly for realism's sake, because the advantages to wearing light armor are there but they are not fully realized.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
Re: Horsebump More Damage to Light Armor, Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 01:12:47 pm »
+2
I can understand getting up more quickly.

However you are already able to move out of the way more quickly.

Secondly If I had to get hit by a horse and I had the option of putting armour on I would. No question A helmet can make an otherwise fatal blow into a minor concussion. More advanced plate armours were designed to only articulate (in some areas) as far as the wearer could, preventing dislocations and torn ligaments.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 05:21:08 pm »
+1
Those plate armors have padding underneath, just so you know.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 07:25:00 pm »
+1
I don't get why chain or plate would protect you more against the brute blunt force of a charging animal
Because this is Warband. Shit doesn't make sense because that's just how it was coded. Padded armor should be better against blunt than chainmail, by far, but this game wasn't programmed like that, so that's not how it is. This can't really be changed to my knowledge, unless cmp wants to do it through WSE(doubtful).

Also, as murdertron stated, all the chain/plate armors have padding underneath(probably not as much, but padding none the less).
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:34:41 pm »
+2
Chain mail is chain armor over padded armor.  No one wore chain mail without padding underneath.

Thinking of it this way may help.

Also, the way the chain mail's weight hangs helps it absorb blunt trauma.  Think of the old fashioned way to clean a rug...hanging it on a string or something and beating it with a stick.  The way the weight if the rug hangs, it absorbs the blow and ripples the force outward.  You can whack the shit out of it and it barely moves.  Now imagine its made of metal, kind of the same thing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:38:01 pm by Penitent »

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 05:35:57 am »
I'm not a big history nerd but I think plate armory often had chainmail as well as the aforementioned padding underneath.  The chainmail would provide some protection inside the joints where the plate could not.

So basically you went from padding, put chainmail on top, and then plate over that.  But this may not have always been the case.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 06:56:31 am »
+2
Plate mail doesn't effect a person's agility much at all. It weighs less than what a modern infantryman wears into combat on his back, except its evenly distributed across their entire body. Its also reinforced to be completely invincible to all slashing/cutting attacks, and you can't really hurt people with blunt damage unless its all focused on a small point, preferably a weaker linking part of the armor. This is why people used warhammers. Just bashing someone with a club or bat would most likely bounce off a well made piece of armor.

And yeah. I'm pretty sure I'd rather be wearing a full suit of plate armor if a horse was to charge me than be wearing a leather vest or something. What the fuck kind of question is that lol
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Yazid

• tEh eNl1gTh3N3d!1!!
  • Baron
  • Renown: 99
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 06:34:50 am »
And yeah. I'm pretty sure I'd rather be wearing a full suit of plate armor if a horse was to charge me than be wearing a leather vest or something. What the fuck kind of question is that lol

That would be like bracing yourself to get struck by a hammer, where as a leather vest at least would allow you the maneuverability to push yourself off the horse and absorb the blow, unless you plan to push yourself off the animal in your entire suit of padded armor, chain-mail and plate... hell I bet your situational awareness would be in such shit that you wouldn't even see it coming... It wasn't magic armor of invulnerability and eurocentricity... if you really want to get realistic add heat and exhaustion and lack of awareness into the mix... I fight in armor 3 days a week for 5 hours at a time, shit ain't magic

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:38:30 am by Al_Walid_ibn_Yazid »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 01:20:30 pm »
+1
That would be like bracing yourself to get struck by a hammer, where as a leather vest at least would allow you the maneuverability to push yourself off the horse and absorb the blow, unless you plan to push yourself off the animal in your entire suit of padded armor, chain-mail and plate... hell I bet your situational awareness would be in such shit that you wouldn't even see it coming... It wasn't magic armor of invulnerability and eurocentricity... if you really want to get realistic add heat and exhaustion and lack of awareness into the mix... I fight in armor 3 days a week for 5 hours at a time, shit ain't magic

I hope you do not take that video too seriously.