Author Topic: So I was thinking of getting a new pc.  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
So I was thinking of getting a new pc.
« on: March 27, 2014, 04:20:51 pm »
+2
I have about 500 dollar budget (not much I know)

Could anyone here suggest a good build for this sum?

NOTE: I also have a hard drive from my previous laptop that has windows 7 installed on it. Is there any way I could incorporate the drive into my future desktop?

NOTE2: I also have stuff like keyboard screen and mouse, so I am talking purely about case and hardware.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: So I was thinking of getting a new pc.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 06:31:19 pm »
+1
*bump*
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.

Offline smals98

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 06:54:00 pm »
+3
This site gathers all the "good deals" into one spot. I use it myself sometimes so, hope it helps.
www.techbargains.com
also, here's another good one:
www.newegg.com

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 09:23:00 pm »
+1
It doesn't matter, that you got Windows installed on an old HDD - you can use the HDD, but you will need a fresh install regardless.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 09:50:54 pm »
+2
It doesn't matter, that you got Windows installed on an old HDD - you can use the HDD, but you will need a fresh install regardless.

Not necessarily.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 11:06:50 am »
+1

Really? Oh crap!

Is there any way to salvage the system? I dont wan to spend like 100 dollars just for OS, when I already purchased one.

This site gathers all the "good deals" into one spot. I use it myself sometimes so, hope it helps.
www.techbargains.com
also, here's another good one:
www.newegg.com

Looks solid, ill take look at it, thanks. By the way, what about shipping?  Do they ship out to europe?

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 11:23:54 am »
+3
I dont wan to spend like 100 dollars just for OS, when I already purchased one.

.__.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Ginosaji

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kukurutz, Whale_of_pure_Harmony, Topfentascherl, TRAFFIC_LIGHT
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 11:25:16 am »
+3
Really? Oh crap!

Is there any way to salvage the system? I dont wan to spend like 100 dollars just for OS, when I already purchased one.

You don't need a new license, you just can't use the same installation on the new PC (at least I wouldn't recommend it). Just install Windows and use the same license key.

I'd also consider buying a new hard disk. Notebook hard disks are usually much slower than desktop hard disks (and the disk is the bottleneck of most modern PCs).

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 11:38:36 am »
+4

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »
+1
You don't need a new license, you just can't use the same installation on the new PC (at least I wouldn't recommend it). Just install Windows and use the same license key.

I'd also consider buying a new hard disk. Notebook hard disks are usually much slower than desktop hard disks (and the disk is the bottleneck of most modern PCs).

Well the problem is that The system was already pre-installed when I bought it. If I had the instalation disk for the OS I wouldnt ask. Of course I understand that HD must be updated, but that is not the main priority.

Offline KaleLord

• Count
  • Renown: 233
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
  • Nurd
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kale
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 07:42:31 pm »
+1
go on a site like tomshardware for a build
Kale: One of the cutest, chubbiest, asianiest faces in c-RPG. Take a look when you get the chance, guys. I will miss this beautiful man.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 07:51:01 pm »
+1
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

By today standarts, just how good is a desktop that can run crysis 1 on ultra 1920x1080 with 33fps? And is the website updated regularly?

I think I can manage to pull off the good category and superb if I decide to wait a month longer. (it will be a pain though, as of now, I run P4 with radeon HD 3600)

Offline Ginosaji

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 07:58:41 pm »
+1
Well the problem is that The system was already pre-installed when I bought it. If I had the instalation disk for the OS I wouldnt ask. Of course I understand that HD must be updated, but that is not the main priority.

If you've got a valid Windows 7 license then you have also a valid Windows 7 license key. You find that in your current installation in your Windows' control center at "system" (it's at the end of the screen where you also see your Windows performance index). Just download a Windows 7 Demo version (they are actually full versions but only valid for 30 days I think) and then enter that key. Make sure you download a demo version of the exact same version your current Windows is ("Professional", "Home premium" and so on), otherwise the key wouldn't work.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 08:10:23 pm »
+1
If you've got a valid Windows 7 license then you have also a valid Windows 7 license key. You find that in your current installation in your Windows' control center at "system" (it's at the end of the screen where you also see your Windows performance index). Just download a Windows 7 Demo version (they are actually full versions but only valid for 30 days I think) and then enter that key. Make sure you download a demo version of the exact same version your current Windows is ("Professional", "Home premium" and so on), otherwise the key wouldn't work.

The laptop using that hard drive is fucked up, which is why I want to purchase a new desktop. I have no way to currently access the drive.

Offline Ginosaji

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 09:09:43 pm »
+1
The laptop using that hard drive is fucked up, which is why I want to purchase a new desktop. I have no way to currently access the drive.

In that case you should search all the stuff you got when you bought the PC. There should be a license key somewhere (maybe even on a sticker on the PC itself).

Or maybe you can start the old system on your new PC and get the key from there.