Author Topic: Make normal arrows 0 slot and make Horn/Tatar bows 2 slot.  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Make normal arrows 0 slot and make Horn/Tatar bows 2 slot.
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:54:07 am »
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Make normal arrows 0 slot and make Horn/Tatar bows 2 slot.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 03:53:42 am »
i rather my old friendcher can choose crappy arrows or crappy melee or shitty arrows and shitty melee

nah j/k  :)

my old friendchers may ur ass forever itch and your arms be too short

Offline Normanguy

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:31:17 pm »
Horn bow is small in comparison to the rus bow so this i feel is a stupid idea personally but to combat this if you make a horn bow 2 slot then it will clearly need a buff!!

But yeah not the best idea sowwy :P

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 11:17:22 pm »
Horn bow is small in comparison to the rus bow so this i feel is a stupid idea personally but to combat this if you make a horn bow 2 slot then it will clearly need a buff!!

But yeah not the best idea sowwy :P

Why would it need more of a buff? The HA and archer both are getting one with this change.

Horn Bow 2 slots
arrows 0 slot
arrows 0 slot
2 hander 2 slots

Horn Bow 2 slots
Bodkins 1 slot
arrows 0 slot
Long Espada 1 slot

Both of those are beastly builds.

A similar thing would apply to regular archers. They can choose between the best damaging arrows, or better melee weapons. It gives a much better reason to go more of a hybrid than a pure archer.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 04:19:49 am »
+1
Plz no.
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 12:06:11 pm »
+6
hmmmmmm.... I could go longbow/claymore again with this...  :twisted: .....  :mrgreen: ....
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 11:18:15 am »
+2
Long bow + morningstar  :twisted: implement it and make ppl rage ^^
Archer forever :D

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 12:36:27 pm »
+1
make another set of arrows, without bonus damage.

something like:

Practice arrows

weapon length: 86
weight: 10
weapon length: 86
max ammo: 25
thrust damage: 0 cut
slots: 0

Offline bigsean

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Idlewild, BigSean, Tacabro
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 03:30:23 pm »
No one in their right mind still uses normal arrows, so really its just a nerf to horn/tatar and discourages hybrid builds. Rus is already more or less dead and people don't use bow because its 2 slot. Hybrid archers already have to take a big wpf hit to be viable in both melee and range.

Two stacks of arrows also slow you wayyy down, too much when you can only afford 50-60 melee wpf. That is actually a high estimate, I would expect most archers to have less.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 05:05:17 pm by Idlewild »

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 11:03:06 pm »
No one in their right mind still uses normal arrows, so really its just a nerf to horn/tatar and discourages hybrid builds. Rus is already more or less dead and people don't use bow because its 2 slot. Hybrid archers already have to take a big wpf hit to be viable in both melee and range.

Two stacks of arrows also slow you wayyy down, too much when you can only afford 50-60 melee wpf. That is actually a high estimate, I would expect most archers to have less.

You're crazy. I use normal arrows and this encourages hybrid builds. I've done around 15 gens as a normal archer and 5 or 6 as a HA. I would LOVE to have this change to give me better options in melee weapons and the 0 slot for normal arrows makes up for their lack of heavy damage, plus they are cheap so that you can actually afford to carry that more expensive melee weapon around.
As for WPF, too many archers put too much into archery for too small a gain. Part of that is because archery and especially horse archery is so expensive that you end up carrying the cheapest (and weakest) melee weapons for which you don't really feel inclined to put WPF into because it is already so weak, why bother putting WPF point into it when you can make your crosshair that you use 95% of the time get smaller?

Do this, open up better options for melee weapons for archery, plus by choosing the 0 slot arrows you save money enough to be able to afford those weapons. You will still be 90% as effective as an archer and at least 100% better in melee, not to mention that you will have a better chance than a rat in a clowder when melee closes the distance.

Longbow and Rus archers can still choose the same builds they have now. Horn and Tatar bows become the domain of the hybrid archers. They can still choose damaging arrows plus a 0 slot weapon. Not much changes except they have to deal with the same choices as the higher tier archers, and they get a much wider option to actually engage in melee (which is actually easier to get kills). You still get long ranged damage and improved ability in skirmishes.

I would think that most of the negative votes would be from melee who understand how this would improve the hybrid archer instead of archers who would get an overall buff from this.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:09:32 pm by Rumblood »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 11:28:24 pm »
No, I don't like making those bows 2 slot.

HOWEVER I do think there should be 0 slot arrows.

They should be chert/flint arrows (these were used in early medieval times, especially by vikings) -- or "hunting arrows" --  and have like 6 or 8 ammo. 

0 slot, low ammo arrows that someone can take to use up all their equipment spaces.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 11:38:45 pm »
I think arrows can be 0 slot, but the ammo would have to be toned down to be similar to the other types, since the balance shifts from having higher ammo at the cost of damage to having 0 slots at the cost of damage. I'm tired right now, so it's difficult for me to understand why those bows would need to be 2 slot.

I'm not really an archer, so there's not much I can really add to this.

Offline bigsean

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Idlewild, BigSean, Tacabro
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 02:32:44 am »
You're crazy. I use normal arrows and this encourages hybrid builds. I've done around 15 gens as a normal archer and 5 or 6 as a HA. I would LOVE to have this change to give me better options in melee weapons and the 0 slot for normal arrows makes up for their lack of heavy damage, plus they are cheap so that you can actually afford to carry that more expensive melee weapon around.
As for WPF, too many archers put too much into archery for too small a gain. Part of that is because archery and especially horse archery is so expensive that you end up carrying the cheapest (and weakest) melee weapons for which you don't really feel inclined to put WPF into because it is already so weak, why bother putting WPF point into it when you can make your crosshair that you use 95% of the time get smaller?

Do this, open up better options for melee weapons for archery, plus by choosing the 0 slot arrows you save money enough to be able to afford those weapons. You will still be 90% as effective as an archer and at least 100% better in melee, not to mention that you will have a better chance than a rat in a clowder when melee closes the distance.

Longbow and Rus archers can still choose the same builds they have now. Horn and Tatar bows become the domain of the hybrid archers. They can still choose damaging arrows plus a 0 slot weapon. Not much changes except they have to deal with the same choices as the higher tier archers, and they get a much wider option to actually engage in melee (which is actually easier to get kills). You still get long ranged damage and improved ability in skirmishes.

I would think that most of the negative votes would be from melee who understand how this would improve the hybrid archer instead of archers who would get an overall buff from this.

So just HA then? Even if any arrow was 2 slot, 1 slot, 0 slot, whatever I would only take one stack at this point. The weight is too much for any archer (except HA) to escape or be useful in melee. Unless you have high agi in which case your melee takes a further hit anyways. Yeah you can drop your bow, but it's nice not to be forced to, especially with how it can be trying to pick up arrows sometimes.

HA doesn't have to deal with arrow weight, and the speed bonus/sheer amount of arrows means you can plink away forever. But that's why theres the HA skill, it's an attribute sink so you can't do that and then be really good in more areas.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 05:52:10 am »
I'm tired right now, so it's difficult for me to understand why those bows would need to be 2 slot.

To prevent HA's from taking 3 stacks of arrows (encouraging the douchebags to pew pew spam from the edges of the map) unless they are using the Nomad, which would be pretty silly since you #1 can't fire that many in a round (I've very very rarely run out of arrows even with 2 stacks) and #2 You won't be doing any damage anyhow.

It also prevents foot archers from becoming OP by taking a Horn bow, Bodkins, 0 slot arrows, and a Poleaxe. There needs to be a tradeoff, either in the number of arrows, the damage caused by multiple stacks of 0 slot arrows, or be forced to take a less powerful 0 slot melee weapon if they want Horn bow bodkins bodkins + melee weapon.

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 11:36:31 am »
Normal arrows also can be 0,5 slot. This will encourage hybrids with 1 slot melee weapon.