Author Topic: I'd like to extend my weaponry... 1hander advice!  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
I'd like to extend my weaponry... 1hander advice!
« on: March 06, 2014, 02:17:51 am »
Hello all!

If you don't know me, I am a crossbower using builds with 12 or 15 STR, that is 4 or 5 PS, and a variety of 0 slot weapons on maps where I pack 2 bags of bolts. For all other maps, I either use the 0 slot weapons as well, or Espada Eslavona. Now I want more onehanded weapons with 1 slot, and I am not sure which ones to loom/buy.

What I tested so far:
(click to show/hide)

If you have any suggestions for me, please let me know! Please present me your favorite onehanders and what you particularly like about them; maybe I fall in love with some of these and get them :wink: Also, if anyone of you tested the Crusader Sword on +3, please describe your impressions.

Sankyu!
Have fun and good games)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:03:29 am by Panuru »
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
Re: I'd like to extend my weaponry... 1hander advice!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 02:52:34 am »
+2
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Broad Short Sword.

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 03:02:17 am »
I got:

Broad Short Sword
Short Arming Sword
Scottish Sword
Short Sword
Nomad Sabre
Italian Falchion

Looking for 1 slot stuff now. Sorry that I did not clarify this in the OP, I edited it now. Thanks though, BSS is definitely a favorite!
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 03:34:30 am »
+3
I'm archer right now, so I do understand what you want,... I think. 0 slots is nice, but sometimes you want something more versatile. I like the Fighting Pick visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 for it's low STR requirement (8), as well as it's secondary mode. Primary it does 25p damage, secondary does 23b damage.

If you want a more dedicated blunt weapon, I suggest the Winged Mace visitors can't see pics , please register or login
for blunt damage. It only has 11 STR requirement, but it usually rapes me when bots use it on DTV. 27b dmg, 98 speed rating.

Honestly, it's really hard IMO to pick 1h weapons. Many are so similar in stats, but in game they often seem to me to be quite different than what I expect. For example, the Langes Messer has 98 speed, but it feels slower than the Military Cleaver which has 96 speed. Speaking of cleavers, the Soldier's Cleaver is quite nice for what it is.

IF I were picking weapons straight from MY inventory that are 12 STR or less, and I could only pick three, these are them:

Liuyedao visitors can't see pics , please register or login
- Yeah, it doesn't have stab, and it's not the best against plate unless you aim more for the head or feet, and even then it's not so good. But, as you mentioned, it makes you feel like you actually have proficiency in 1h. In extended fights, this is really good, and it's good against any low to mid-tier armor really. Of course, if you prefer a sword with stab, then yeah, I would strongly consider the Side Sword.

Broad One Handed Battle Axe visitors can't see pics , please register or login
- 35c damage and bonus against shields, and a secondary mode that does 28p damage makes this weapon good against... well, every kind of armor. Only negative is that once again, there is no stab.

Uhm... hmmm. Yeah, Iberian Mace is usually my third pick, but since it's 13 STR, I'll say try the Winged Mace or the Fighting Pick. I just can't remember if the Fighting Pick has knockdown or not.

Well, those are my suggestions as a long-time 1h shielder turned archer.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 04:01:59 am »
+2
Outside of the ones you and Thranduil listed, the italian sword and niuweidao are the other best options. Would still probably stick with the grosses.

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 04:05:57 am »
(click to show/hide)

Thanks mate, I will pick up Hetman's Winged Mace more often))

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 10:03:45 am »
+3
When you have lower PS, blunt and pierce 1H weapons can help your damage output a lot. Even the really cheap ones like the fighting pick and flanged mace will do serious damage. As a crossbow user, knockdown is a nice bonus. Sometimes you can knock down a single enemy and disengage to go reload somewhere else. You don't have enough time to reload right in front of them, but if you knock them down you can retreat to a safe reload spot and force them to chase you across the whole map and/or get attacked by your teamates.

Axes are good if shielders are targeting you and forcing you into melee range, but not so great against other targets due to the short reach and cut damage.

4-5 PS is enough to kill anyone who isn't a better player than you in many cases. Pick a weapon that you like the looks of :)

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 02:40:19 pm »
+1
100+ reach swords, definitely give an edge in close combat. Knightly Arming Sword can be very good with only 70-90 wpf.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 07:27:10 pm »
+1
100+ reach swords, definitely give an edge in close combat. Knightly Arming Sword can be very good with only 70-90 wpf.

These are out of the question if you like to overhead (which you should, because it's arguably the best 1h attack). If you miss an overhead with the 98+ cm swords, they get "stuck" in the ground, stunning you for a second or so (which feels like an eternity during a fight). 

I've been using the Arming Sword, which doesn't suffer from this issue unless you are facing up a steep grade. I actually prefer the stats of the Side Sword, but hate the model. Haven't used an Italian Sword enough to know if it's a problem with that.

Grosses, BSS and Liuyedao are all awesome if you have high athletics. These are the weapons I always had the most success with, except when fighting agility s-key polearmers (who are everywhere now). Before the last couple patches brought them out of the woodwork, the 85-88cm 1h swords were perfect.

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 09:04:47 pm »
Also going for an archer build with 15 STR and about 100 WPF, with 5 PS. I've tested the Winged Mace and liked it a lot, but I'm still a bit on the fence on the Iberian Mace. I want to use it due to swagginess and since my clan is RPing as Iberian people (my char is a Moor/Berber). Extra damage seems nice, but I'm a bit on the fence regarding speed and cost.

Suggestions?

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 09:35:36 pm »
Also going for an archer build with 15 STR and about 100 WPF, with 5 PS. I've tested the Winged Mace and liked it a lot, but I'm still a bit on the fence on the Iberian Mace. I want to use it due to swagginess and since my clan is RPing as Iberian people (my char is a Moor/Berber). Extra damage seems nice, but I'm a bit on the fence regarding speed and cost.

Suggestions?

Spathovaklion, its stats outclass all other blunt weapon 1h weapons except the Warhammer (which is still unique thanks to its huge damage+high weight+thrust).

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 09:47:39 pm »
Spathovaklion, its stats outclass all other blunt weapon 1h weapons except the Warhammer (which is still unique thanks to its huge damage+high weight+thrust).

Yeah, the spathovaklion single-handedly made the iberian and winged maces obsolete. It is longer, significantly faster, and infinitely harder to see than the iberian, and the only trade-off is 1 damage. It should really have far less weight to it, considering its model and other stats. The iberian and the winged mace used to be far more common since they were the only viable options other than the warhammer for good blunt damage... heck, iberians might have been more popular than the warhammer at one point. Now all you see is spathovaklions everywhere, with the occasional warhammer.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 09:49:49 pm »
warhammer best 1h for any and all builds
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 10:24:19 pm »
I've been using the military sickle a bit recently and it's quite nice. It's like a budget spathovaklion without knockdown, yet it's even faster.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 10:29:22 pm »
I've been using the military sickle a bit recently and it's quite nice. It's like a budget spathovaklion without knockdown, yet it's even faster.

Your opinion on this matter is void, I watched you wreck NA2 with a +0 Hatchet.