Poll

Hand and a half swords should work how?

Add 1h variants to the 1h weapon shop
Change the secondary mode from pole to 1h
Add 1h variants to 1h weapon shop + buff/reduce malus
Change the secondary mode from pole to 1h + buff/reduce malus
Don't change the shield+1h/2h mechanic, but buff/reduce malus
No change- common sense is beyond me

Author Topic: One Hand- and a half swords.  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Lethwin Far Seeker

• Earl
  • Renown: 363
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: The House of Tiercel
One Hand- and a half swords.
« on: February 16, 2014, 08:02:16 am »
+17
Poll on bastard\hand-and-a-half swords.  It is stupid that you can't use the 1h/2h swords (excluding the katana) as a one handed weapon (as they were used more than often, etc etc) unless you have an invincible shield.  Being forced into 2h wpf (or lack thereof) when thine shield breaketh renders these weapons all but useless to a shield user.  Ye gods why hath thee not this woe remedied?

P.S.  Given that the Longsword is a hair away from being a strait dick 2h sword, I could be quite happy with it retaining a polearm secondary mode and changes strictly applying to the bastard swords.

P.P.S. If you have a flippin fantastic idea to solve this problem that you think should be on this list PM me and I will consider adding it if it is recent enough.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:58:49 pm by Kalam »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
Re: One Hand, and a half swords.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 08:16:22 am »
+4
Would hate to see the polearm mode go (they make for great shanks.. being so short you can practically point blank stab, with no funny business involved) but unless this game can support a triple-mode wep, I would have to say that the 1h alt mode simply makes more sense. As far as this game is concerned, they are too short to make decent polearms anyways. Sure, you could halfsword a longsword (or any sword) in real life, but in this game it is kinda pointless (other than the aforementioned stab). At least with a greatsword you have some reach on the polearm stab.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Sharpe

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • I like Sheep.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wales
  • Game nicks: Sharpe, Llewllyn
Re: One Hand- and a half swords.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 05:54:21 pm »
+3
Yeah, what that guy said. I mean it would make more sense to one hand the longsword; aside from the option of halfswording.

Maybe they can make pressing the x cyclical?

“I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 06:26:42 pm »
+2
Would hate to see the polearm mode go (they make for great shanks.. being so short you can practically point blank stab, with no funny business involved) but unless this game can support a triple-mode wep, I would have to say that the 1h alt mode simply makes more sense. As far as this game is concerned, they are too short to make decent polearms anyways. Sure, you could halfsword a longsword (or any sword) in real life, but in this game it is kinda pointless (other than the aforementioned stab). At least with a greatsword you have some reach on the polearm stab.

I agree. The longer 2h weapons work well with a pole alt mode, but the shorter 2h weapons (bastard, heavy bastard, longsword - any 2h that works in tandem with a shield excepting katana) would make more sense to have 1h alt modes. In fact, I would imagine that most of the coding is already there for this, since when using a shield, they kinda go into a 1h alt mode already. I'd probably even go so far as to say, the stats these weapons had in this mode with a shield are just fine as they are (or would be fine for an extended test run). Just saw we have reduced penalty for using 2h weapons with a shield. Current stats might work too though.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 06:30:07 pm by Thranduil »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 09:10:38 am »
Read the patch notes and leave the pole mode alone!

Bastard swords were supposed to be used the way we are using them at the moment. Using like a spear with a shield, and swinging like a great sword without a shield. And of course, swinging it on horseback. The penalty is also lowered in the recent patch.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 10:44:24 am »
+3
IRL you could use a sword exactly as you wanted

js :p

Offline Lethwin Far Seeker

• Earl
  • Renown: 363
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: The House of Tiercel
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 10:48:31 am »
+1
I'm going to be showing this to some devs soon in hopes of getting this changed.  Any more votes on the poll would be greatly appreciated if you agree with me.

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 11:08:20 pm »
+2
In my opinion the two handed and the hand and a half sword versions are more important than the 1h mode.

Possibly:

If using in 1h+shield mode and shield is broken it stays as 1h.

A possible third mode (1h/2h/halfswording) available by pressing X.

Ban all ranged.

Not sure if the first two are possible with the game engine, but, I know that the third is.
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline Sharpe

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • I like Sheep.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wales
  • Game nicks: Sharpe, Llewllyn
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 11:23:01 pm »
+1

Ban all ranged melee who are lvl 32 and above.

I completely agree.

“I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 10:44:08 am »
+1
IRL you could use a sword exactly as you wanted

js :p
Of course you can. You can use it to kill stuff, you can use it to cut down trees, you can use it to slice a cake, you can use it to satisfy your sexual needs... it doesn't mean, however; it will be equally effective in every task.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 11:26:34 am »

Bastard swords were supposed to be used the way we are using them at the moment. Using like a spear with a shield, and swinging like a great sword without a shield. And of course, swinging it on horseback. The penalty is also lowered in the recent patch.

Bastard swords were supposed to be used the way we are using them at the moment. Using like a spear, and swinging like a great sword without a shield. And of course, swinging it on horseback. The penalty is also lowered in the recent patch.

Bastard swords were supposed to be used the way we are using them at the moment. Using like a spear, and swinging like a great sword without a shield. And of course, swinging it on horseback. The penalty is also lowered in the recent patch.

WHAT!?

Can you find me evidence that bastard swords were used like a spear with a shield?

It just doesn't seem plausible.

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 05:57:04 pm »
+1
yeah, using it as a polearm always seemed stupid to me.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 06:34:12 pm »
+2
The bastard (hand and a half) weapons' alternate mode should be 1h mode, not polearms...

DUH!

- Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 07:15:28 am »
You can ''x'' your way through 1h/2h/polearm as is, can only have 2 modes at best and then add the 1h/2h flag, which will force you to use the 2h grip if your shield is borked.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline SugarHoe

• Earl
  • Renown: 413
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisia
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 07:07:11 pm »
+1

WHAT!?

Can you find me evidence that bastard swords were used like a spear with a shield?

It just doesn't seem plausible.
can you find me evidence that Teutonics rode on cataphract horses, had scimitars and fought samurais ? Can you also find me evidence that hordes and hordes of people ran on a straight line into a village of 30 greasy nerds with mauls and 2hers ?