Author Topic: Insurgency - Stand alone on Steam  (Read 10668 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Insurgency - Stand alone on Steam
« on: January 26, 2014, 06:50:45 am »
+3
The gun physics and movement are pretty damn spot on to real life with scope sway, recoil and bullet drop and accuracy.  If you carry a lot of weight, you move slower and if you are exhausted from sprinting, your aim is all over the place until you catch your breath.  Nothing new, as we have seen this with the Red Orchestra series, but the way they did it is probably the most accurate I have ever seen in a video game.  Oh, there is no x marks the spot hud, you have to use your iron sights, reflex or scope if you want to have a chance in hell at hitting anything. There is a laser attachment, for close in work, but its really not worth the weight on the outdoor maps.  The gun physics and movement is where this game shines, its like I'm at the range with how real to life the pistol, M4 and M1 shoot.  Your not going to be Rambo like in COD games.  Of course kneeling and prone give you better accuracy because it steadies you rifle.

So, far its pretty damn cool.  Its multiplayer only, except for the training missions, it's still in beta and actively supported by the devs with regular patches.  Ive played CS, CS:S and CS:GO and they all feel really unnatural in how you can take damage and run around the map like The Flash.  Don't get me wrong, they are fun in how unreal they are, but its not what anyone should expect in a combat situation and its not meant to be.  This brings a lot of realism to FPS, but not as deep and sim-like as the ARMA series; it concentrates mostly on the fun of infantry FPS without being bogged down in the systems and vehicles.  Its really biased toward team play and those with a group and a plan can dominate a bunch of lone wolfs in 8 out of 10 engagements.

Its worth the 13 bucks if you like a hard core multiplayer FPS.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
Re: Insurgency - Stand alone on Steam
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 03:03:07 pm »
yeah i want this but no money

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:24:02 pm »
+1
Played the original mod. Was pretty damn good. Might get this.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 04:26:53 pm »
+3
Been playing it. My favourite part is where it tracks shots fired. I've noticed that the most I've shot in a single round was as support is 75 bullets. That seems pretty low. Still, had 8 kills that round. And another round I had 17 shots fired and 5 kills with an AK. Most of the rounds I spend between 30 and 60 bullets.

The sound in the game is fantastic. When someone is shooting at you, you're terrified, because any of the bullets can kill you and then you hear the awesome sounds of bullets hitting the wall next to you and your vision gets all blurry. Being suppressed is actually a thing in the game.

Another cool thing is that on some servers it doesn't tell you whether or not you killed the guy, and some servers even have the scoreboard turned off so unless you saw the guy go down, you can't be sure. Which makes moving around terrifying. The scoreboard also doesn't tell you how many enemies are alive.

All moving is extremely dangerous and if I'm heading to an enemy infested area and generally running inside a room and attempting to gun down the enemies will get you killed instantly. Grenades are your friend when moving toward the enemy.

I don't know. To me it's great fun, especially if you find a server that actually plays together. It's one of the best multiplayer FPS experiences I've had in ages.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about and should probably be ignored.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 06:08:04 pm by Ninja_Khorin »

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 05:29:40 pm »
Well I just purchased it and downloading now. If this turns out to be anything less than Rainbow Six Online I consider Khorin and his hype above accountable.  :wink:
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 05:41:19 pm »
Hm I would get this  because it does look nice but Arma already fills the space for realistic shooter :/

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 06:08:59 pm »
+1
Well I just purchased it and downloading now. If this turns out to be anything less than Rainbow Six Online I consider Khorin and his hype above accountable.  :wink:

Don't pin this on me. You should read the disclaimer that by reading this you agree that was there when you read the post the first time.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 06:34:11 pm »
+2
Hm I would get this  because it does look nice but Arma already fills the space for realistic shooter :/

Apart from both being FPS's and striving for their own sense of realism, they're two completely different games, I used to play the Insurgency mod long ago and even then it was good fun, infact I had a lot more fun in that mod than I ever did in any ARMA game. But each to their own.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 06:56:36 pm »
Well yeah, I guess Insurgency is a lot more close quarters and different gameplay due to game modes. What else does Insurgency offer to make it stand out?

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 07:12:20 pm »
Well yeah, I guess Insurgency is a lot more close quarters and different gameplay due to game modes. What else does Insurgency offer to make it stand out?

Well Khorin and I already listed a number of things. It will remind you very much of CS, but this makes CS feel very shallow and arcadeish.

The main plus to this over ARMA III? You can find a team and a firefight in less than 30 minutes.  :P
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Awea

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
  • French dude, dev, player.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Awea
  • IRC nick: awea
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 08:38:24 pm »
Please stop use Steam. Unless you need it.
MY LOVES: ode_le_borgne, THE_DOG, Verod, kitties, unicorns
DESOLATIONS OF AWEA: Sorry for franglish, Ranged stun, Bow, Leather, Shield, Leading, insults, CasualHardCoreGammer, Dev

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 08:50:19 pm »
+6

Steam is the best thing to happen for the consumer in the PC market since the advent of the mouse. Many players now have EVERY game they are interested in and at a 75% discount. They have bought games that they thought they might play but never have and maybe never will and are still happy with the purchase because it was so damn cheap. It is the social site for GAMERS. I've gotten so many great games after seeing someone else playing them on Steam that I never would have before. I can find someone right away to go play a multiplayer/co-op something because I can see who is online right now. And even if all of the above isn't good enough for you, one image:

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 08:50:54 pm »
One thing gets under my skin while playing 95% of fps games out there, including ARMA, and that is their depiction of red dot or holo sights of any sort. Someone probably should kindly tell game devs how you actually use those and that when you're using it correctly, meaning both eyes open while scoping with your weapon, all you see is basically just a red dot. It's just so retarded that a system that in real life is designed to enhance aiming speed and awareness in games makes it even harder to aim than with ironsights because you have a giant box obstructing half of your screen.

This has nothing to do with games like ARMA.
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 08:59:56 pm »

Please stop using the internet. Even if you need it.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 09:39:54 pm »
+3

Purge this heretic.