Author Topic: Middle Earth meets Assassin's Creed in Shadow of Mordor  (Read 12010 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth meets Assassin's Creed in Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2014, 08:02:34 pm »
+1
Its repetitive true, but I enjoy the fights so I'm not bored!

I find the game a bit too easy, right from the start you can crowd control anything. I would have prefered more AC than Batman, especially the fleeing/climbing.
There is no difficulty control, you can only disable HUD help.
When you're out of health you have a "last truggle QTE" which can even become a one-shot finisher with abilities, you never lose health through falling, there is plants everywhere on the map which fully restore your health, its really hard to die in story mode.

Some boss have very good strenghts (invincible to any attacks for example, except backstab) and even improved attack patterns (leaps, combo, grappling, double damage, etc) but the little mobs are hardly challenging (some specials are hard to manage truth be told).

The story is remarkably simple but interesting enough to incent to continue (and the orc society is nicely represented, + a lot of back stories and role playing elements), the number of possible attack pattern is near infinite, there is a lot of reflex based skill to go through battles without a scratch (cRPG players should have no problem) and tons of objectives/missions to do in a very large completely open world.

Overall: greatly entertaining, but the character is a bit too invincible.
Played 4 hours, might have some surprises left for me.
The challenge mode might be a good catch when you're done with the campaign.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:09:12 pm by Butan »

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • Renown: 685
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
  • All I do is shitpost anymore in this game.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tom_Cruise_Dota_Fanatic
  • IRC nick: Tom_Cruise
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2014, 08:20:35 pm »
Its repetitive true, but I enjoy the fights so I'm not bored!

I find the game a bit too easy, right from the start you can crowd control anything. I would have prefered more AC than Batman, especially the fleeing/climbing.
There is no difficulty control, you can only disable HUD help.
When you're out of health you have a "last truggle QTE" which can even become a one-shot finisher with abilities, you never lose health through falling, there is plants everywhere on the map which fully restore your health, its really hard to die in story mode.

Some boss have very good strenghts (invincible to any attacks for example, except backstab) and even improved attack patterns (leaps, combo, grappling, double damage, etc) but the little mobs are hardly challenging (some specials are hard to manage truth be told).

The story is remarkably simple but interesting enough to incent to continue (and the orc society is nicely represented, + a lot of back stories and role playing elements), the number of possible attack pattern is near infinite, there is a lot of reflex based skill to go through battles without a scratch (cRPG players should have no problem) and tons of objectives/missions to do in a very large completely open world.

Overall: greatly entertaining, but the character is a bit too invincible.
Played 4 hours, might have some surprises left for me.
The challenge mode might be a good catch when you're done with the campaign.

Uh, where I'm at, which is not even halfway through the story I believe, captains have TONS of strengths and bullshit that make it really hard for me. Aside from all of the shit like invulnerable to everything under the sun, they hit like a fucking truck. Just fought I captain that could practically two shot me. That is great when fighting him and a large group of enemies, variety of enemies as well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2014, 08:26:04 pm »
Two shot even with improved health ? :shock: 
Then I cant wait to be farther in the game  :D
Difficulty is about the only qualm I have atm... if its improved mid-end game then this game is a serious A+

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2014, 08:32:14 pm »
+1
Two shot even with improved health ? :shock: 
Then I cant wait to be farther in the game  :D
Difficulty is about the only qualm I have atm... if its improved mid-end game then this game is a serious A+

Well

Minor spoiler? Kind of not really?
(click to show/hide)

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2014, 08:40:00 pm »
Well

(click to show/hide)

Inb4 butan is past that part of the game.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2014, 09:44:22 pm »
The game is difficult at times when the stars align against you and you get a really bitchy assortment of special enemies and/or a boss with really gay special abilities. However, the last and second last tier of combat abilities are too good. But whatever, I don't play singleplayer games for the mad challenge.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2014, 11:54:35 pm »
Well

(click to show/hide)

Spoiler:
(click to show/hide)

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2014, 11:59:39 pm »
Someone make a TL;DR of what it is. Just randomly kill orcs and shit and assassinate them a'la Assassins Creed?

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2014, 02:51:16 am »
Somewhat, yea.

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2014, 03:14:25 am »
I'm loving it so far.
(click to show/hide)
and wreck all the orcses. Currently all warchiefs are dead and noone got promoted yet, i wonder what happens when i kill every single captain now without dieing.
I gotta say though, it was kinda hard to kill all the chiefs. 2 of them were nasty melee fighters and without knowing their weaknesses they would have screwed me everytime. I even had to draw one of those gaugs (Those big nasty mordor thingies) to one of them so he'd be scared shitless which gave me an easy kill. I'm hoping it stays this difficult or it might as well get a whole lot harder in the later game, but let's see. Or i'll make it difficult myself with deaththreats, or well, at least a little more difficult, depending on the orc you are facing.
Having a lot of fun with the game, already recommending it to friends.

Also you are not assassinating most of the times. For example, some warchiefs, depending on their personality, require you to engage in an open fight, leading to massive outnumbering until they finally show up.

Offline Tom Cruise

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2014, 03:18:48 am »
+1
A fucking BITCH of a strength is "Combat Master". Have fun running into of of those guys with a bunch of other bullshit abilities stacked up with him as well.

Offline Fips

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2014, 03:25:08 am »
A fucking BITCH of a strength is "Combat Master". Have fun running into of of those guys with a bunch of other bullshit abilities stacked up with him as well.

The dude i had to drag that gaug to was one of those. Had those nasty extra attacks, a shield that i couldn't jump over, the stun didn't hit him, ranged didn't hurt him, stealth ofc impossible, too and i was so stupid to make a deaththreat as well, that's why i dragged this beast halfway across the map xD

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2014, 08:00:52 am »
I had one of them, had to throw him off a cliff.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2014, 09:40:53 am »
I am leaving the story missions aside atm (maybe that's a mistake :D) but I tend to end up with 3 captains at the same time when stumbled into some stronghold. Then I make a move on one the captains, don't kill him quick enough and the stronghold alarm sounds... I manage to stay alive another 3 minutes and die cuz I pressed the wrong QTE button :D

I really really like the random aspect of those encounters. This Nemesis System is absolutely great, probably one of the greatest innovations I've seen in a game for years now. And it brings along a tactical component that basically all Batman and AC games lack... Getting information of the high-power captains seems to be a must for me right now.
Might change with higher levels but with only the first line of skills unlocked atm, I am having a hard time and enjoy it greatly :D

And they always advertised that 2 players won't have the same experience and seeing all those different ways you guys kill them, it seems to be at least partly true.

Oww, and I read that you can avenge players in your friendlist when they've been killed by a captain for extra xp. Anyone knows how that works?
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Fips

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2014, 11:13:24 am »
I am leaving the story missions aside atm (maybe that's a mistake :D) but I tend to end up with 3 captains at the same time when stumbled into some stronghold. Then I make a move on one the captains, don't kill him quick enough and the stronghold alarm sounds... I manage to stay alive another 3 minutes and die cuz I pressed the wrong QTE button :D

I really really like the random aspect of those encounters. This Nemesis System is absolutely great, probably one of the greatest innovations I've seen in a game for years now. And it brings along a tactical component that basically all Batman and AC games lack... Getting information of the high-power captains seems to be a must for me right now.
Might change with higher levels but with only the first line of skills unlocked atm, I am having a hard time and enjoy it greatly :D

And they always advertised that 2 players won't have the same experience and seeing all those different ways you guys kill them, it seems to be at least partly true.

Oww, and I read that you can avenge players in your friendlist when they've been killed by a captain for extra xp. Anyone knows how that works?

I've actually had to chance to avenge one of your deaths already. It's a vengance-quest that pops up on the map. Seems rather random though, because you weren't even online at that time.

I didn't do that quest though, so i don't know the details of such a quest.