Poll

Well...

Stay
53 (35.3%)
Go
97 (64.7%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Ranged stagger: Should it stay or should it go  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
Re: Ranged stun: Should it stay or should it go
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 09:16:10 am »
+2
Copy pasted from another thread:

Can we please change it to something like this? Countless times I have been hit and sent maybe 5 feet backwards by an arrow... I look down at my health and have to squint to see any loss of red. Makes sense, right?

Also this kind of plays into Forsvar's proposed compromise, since USUALLY longbow, bow, etc, do more damage than the one slot bows.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 09:22:13 am »
"arrow stun is realistic and fun"

Fun as in Dwarf Fortress fun, yeah

It just pushes ranged to shoot into melee even more than they normally do due to their moronic nature. A reason to do it is frankly not necessary.

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 06:17:38 pm »
+1
I much rather get stunned than lose half of my hp from a spam arrow, however, you cant nerf both things (stun or dmg), archers need to be efficient some how, so go ahead and choose one, would you rather die from a skip the fun archer in siege, or would you rather get stunned. And ofc the stun is realistic, have you ever got shot by an arrow? oh it stuns you alright, unless you are an orc from lord of the rings.

And one more thing, nerfing the dmg would make most noob archers give up and only the truthful ones stay, those who fight with tactics and team work (hence the "fun").
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:22:01 pm by Viriathus »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 07:05:17 pm »
I much rather get stunned than lose half of my hp from a spam arrow, however, you cant nerf both things (stun or dmg), archers need to be efficient some how, so go ahead and choose one, would you rather die from a skip the fun archer in siege, or would you rather get stunned. And ofc the stun is realistic, have you ever got shot by an arrow?

Have you ? Have you ever been shot by a handgun while wearing a bulletproof vest ? Without ? Stings like a bitch either way, but there is nothing pushing you five meters away. Anyway if that was the case, the archer would be pushed backwards 5 meters too when firing.

oh it stuns you alright, unless you are an orc from lord of the rings.

And one more thing, nerfing the dmg would make most noob archers give up and only the truthful ones stay, those who fight with tactics and team work (hence the "fun").

You forgot get a shield lol after tactics and teamwork

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 07:16:07 pm »
+5
I voted "stay" of course, but would love to see 2 changes:

- overall slight nerf of the stun intensity

- make stun dependant on PD and shot distance
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 10:42:32 pm »
+1
I just don't get why there is any justification to have an arrow or bolt or throwing weapon stagger you, but getting demolished with a bardiche doesn't stagger you at all.  I think getting rid of pole stagger was a great idea.  I think ranged stagger needs to follow.

I know this is a "nerf" to ranged, and I'm technically against most people's proposals to nerf ranged (they are already very heavily nerfed), but I think ranged stagger is just a lame mechanic.  It just so happens it's ranged that has this mechanic, if it was any other class I would be for removing it as well.  I'm not suggesting it be removed because it is specifically ranged that still has stagger.

I do like some of the suggestions that maybe only certain amount of damage will deal stagger, or only certain types of weapons do stagger (like heavier bows, or maybe heavier throwing weapons and xbows too).  But I personally think it would be better if all forms of stagger are removed from the game.  Having your attack or block interrupted should be enough of a "stagger" for any weapon hit.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 12:56:40 am »
+8
A good archer saves a bloody rambo on their team, or the lone survivor of a small scrum from 3-5 enemy trying to run him down until he can make it back to the main body. It happens every round, but people are so wrapped up in their melee-centric world that 95% of the time, they don't even notice that their ass was saved. Most of them don't hit teammates more than 5-10% of the time and if they do, press the mutha fuckin ctrl-M every time and they will get their asses booted.
The difference between ranged stagger and pole stagger is that ranged can't keep you stun locked. It takes too long between shots. Unless of course you want to talk about multiple ranged, and then I will just say gtfo arguing about a 1vs2-5 situation.

Have you ? Have you ever been shot by a handgun while wearing a bulletproof vest ? Without ? Stings like a bitch either way, but there is nothing pushing you five meters away. Anyway if that was the case, the archer would be pushed backwards 5 meters too when firing.

You forgot get a shield lol after tactics and teamwork

Have you? It simulates your legs briefly turning to noodles when a 3-4 foot shaft of wood penetrates your body. It isn't a push back, it is you staggering back because your legs temporarily refuse to support your weight. Since you want to argue realism instead of gameplay.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 01:06:25 am »
+1
You can't look at realism in a vacuum. A Bardiche would cleave your head open in one hit regardless, or at least knock you out. Chainmail with padding was actually really good against arrows, plate even better.

Just saying, a semblance of reality is all thats needed, beyond that its gameplay all the way. Getting rooted to the spot by any projectile while any melee hit doesn't makes no gameplay sense and why have realism for one weapon and not for another?
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 03:49:23 am »
+1
You can't look at realism in a vacuum. A Bardiche would cleave your head open in one hit regardless, or at least knock you out. Chainmail with padding was actually really good against arrows, plate even better.

Just saying, a semblance of reality is all thats needed, beyond that its gameplay all the way. Getting rooted to the spot by any projectile while any melee hit doesn't makes no gameplay sense and why have realism for one weapon and not for another?

I didn't bring up realism, so don't make it my argument.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 07:20:39 am »
Only class that should have stagger is the Throwing, there is no reasoning in allowing xbows/archers to keep staggering people, when 1h/2h dont stagger, an yes i know pole dont stagger as much as used too, but it still stagger for a brief sec.

I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Tristan_of_Erzoth

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1000
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Tristan_of_Erzoth, Sorcerer_Tholamin, Big_Dick_McCallister
  • IRC nick: wtf is an IRC
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 08:01:24 am »
IDK, I feel like maybe having the bows have stagger is a bit OP but as a dedicated crossbow man I thrive on that stagger. It takes me 5 seconds(I just counted) to reload my arbalest with 123wpf. The stagger is one of the few pluses to it(gives me time to reload which i desperately need) besides the high damage output. Just my opinion since everyones just talking about archery and not about crossbows.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/evilmagic/

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 08:07:09 am »
It's even worse when they barely do damage but you still stagger right into the pit of hell.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 08:08:40 am »
+4
IDK, I feel like maybe having the bows have stagger is a bit OP but as a dedicated crossbow man I thrive on that stagger. It takes me 5 seconds(I just counted) to reload my arbalest with 123wpf. The stagger is one of the few pluses to it(gives me time to reload which i desperately need) besides the high damage output. Just my opinion since everyones just talking about archery and not about crossbows.

Especially a weapon like Arbs should be long-distance sniper weapons. Any chucklefuck with 0 WPF who picked one up in a Strat battle can tell you how OP they are in close range since you never miss and you rack up kills with little to no threat for your own safety like no other weapon. I've had plenty of 30+ kills 2 death matches with 0 WPF. Staggering to give you more breathing room in close quarters is the opposite of how that weapon should play. If someone is close enough that a stagger is the difference between kiting/reloading and death you should be pulling out a melee weapon.

Stagger is stupid and sometimes gamebreaking. Try to fight in a melee line when a handful of throwers, archers, and whatever else open up on you at once. Since you can't juke mid stagger, you get focus fired and are stuck in place like an epileptic idiot. They do enough damage as it is without needing that crutch. Being locked in place because of ranged fire and having no way to counter it has no semblance of skill, fun, or competitively balanced gameplay.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 08:18:48 am »
+4
Your opinion about ranged stagger is only valid if you have an archer char with 10:1 or better kd rating(with a minimum of 10k kills). Anything else is ignored.

Offline Lord_Kitazawa_of_Voodoo

• Count
  • Renown: 237
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Forsvar_KUTT, Forsvar_RAW_and_UnKUTT, Elbatiforp, Special_Agent_Fliegelbaum
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 08:22:20 am »
+1
Any chucklefuck with 0 WPF who picked one up in a Strat battle

+1 because of word choice, even though I disagree with some of your arguments.
Regardless of conflicting opinion, "chucklefuck" deserves an upvote.

Your opinion about ranged stagger is only valid if you have an archer char with 10:1 or better kd rating(with a minimum of 10k kills). Anything else is ignored.

I guess I'll be quiet, then :/