Author Topic: Woohooo - I am so good!  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Smithy

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • immer Kameraden
    • View Profile
  • Faction: iK
  • Game nicks: iK_Smithy
Re: Woohooo - I am so good!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 10:06:44 pm »
+2
My life is sooo sad and boring :cry:

It's not sad a boring if that's what you're passionate about.  I could rant about similar things all day.. You're not alone.  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 11:11:18 pm »
+1
Also why are there points all over the place at the first two transitions

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 11:18:47 pm »
+1
Are you certain, that he was the moron? :rolleyes:

What would you think of a teacher that wont even give you the list of stuff that you have to learn for a resit?

Yeah he was a moron. A collosal one.

@ nightmare:

Sooo... why should 20+ years old stuff not work to teach you basics of it? Why's the teacher a moron then?

Let me give you an example. Our school got a new type of light, precision solders, perfect for usage with small electronics we worked with. what did he do? He instead had us use the heavy old outdated pieces of shit which required frequent replacing of the soldering wires, which made us waste our precious time to finish our work. Half of the time, I couldnt finish the job because it malfunctioned every 30 minutes. Not to mention the fact that the soldering was usually half assed due to the weight of the solder.

When I asked why arent we using the new ones he responded that he wants us learn on the old ones.

So there I sit, twisting my arm like bundle of sticks with 1.5kg weighting soldering pistol, while the new light ones which would make the work a breeze were lying uselessly on the shelf.

The funniest part? The government gives them funds so they can purchase and let us use new updated equipment that makes our work easier.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:46:45 am by Nightmare798 »
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 11:19:46 pm »
+4
I would think that the points are delimiter lines you can adjust to measure the visible length of a signal. Kind of like a ruler.

My boss... she

Also, fail in three words.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 12:36:20 am »
Those doted lines are just rulers for measurements. It ain't that precise but it gives a rough idea. That's already the deluxe version when it comes to the older oscilloscopes :D

And it has nothing to do with Fourier, it is just a voltage pulse. Nothing special really,  except for the frequency and the steepness.

Consists of 3 transistors and 4 resistors. Nothing else. It's kinda old school and elegant :) Hard to appreciate when you're not into the subject, I guess.
Yes, there is actually a certain elegance to a nice equation, to a nice pcb, an nice circuitry... Probably very hard to appreciate for"normal" folks though, I understand that.

It just feels good to get an elegant solution to a non-trivial challenge (never problems, there are only challenges :D) with a few cheap standard parts.

I am surprised how many people actually came into contact with electronics in a proper and not just by PC gaming or touching the smartphone :P
I always thought that it's rare. I'm curious what you guys actually did in those school lectures about electronics. How deep did it go? Did you go past the flashing LED?
Fredom said something about programming a microcontroller... which one? And which language are you using? Which kind of programs did you run? How much actual background is taught on programming itself? How much details are done on the hardware of a microcontroller? VHDL? Assembler?

If someone is actually answering those questions, it would be nice to know the nationality and how long it's ago... :)
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 02:45:03 am »
+1
The closest I came to anything electronic related was when I paired up with a EE major kid and we built a robot to shoot a ball for a compatition. Everyone else used a potato gun type thing and beat our record, but we got all da style points.

But yea, Being a Structural Engineer, I don't give 2 shits about some small ass circuit boards. I'm more worried about the fucking column breaking cause some asshole contractor fucked up the installation and now we gotta do shit to fix it cause they fucked up.(happens so often it's not funny, like, contractors suck. Some been doing it so long they got that "this is how it's done!" mentality even if it's completely wrong in some instances)

So, congrats on your test. I assume you're a TA or research assistant of some kind?

Should scan some of the stuff I got and post it so you can see the crap I've corrected that contractor's have messed up. Mostly houses so it's not like it's super scary, but they muck it up often enough. Sometimes, they don't even wait  for us to get our plans to them and build it BEFORE we even got plans up and then we gotta give them drawings so that inspectors are happy with it.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 09:48:33 am »
I lack the proper English term but I guess my brother was a Structural Engineer too.
He worked for a small but international recognized firm which build climate chambers... but those big ones.
I know he was responsible for several chambers for Audi, VW and BMW where they test their prototypes and new cars in. One chamber with a temp range of -65°C up to 110°C. Pretty impressive stuff with all the statics, considering the extreme temperatures which work with the whole structure.
Before he studied, he became a skilled labor for climate isolation. So he knew all the isolation stuff and had the studies about constructional engineering on top of that...

He was less annoyed by contractors but he cursed every single architect he had to work with. He always complained that they made plans for some sky palace which wouldn't stand for more than 1 hour stable if it had been built like they wanted it :D

Anyway, back to topic :P

I actually have a few screenshots I could post about what my real challenge to design is atm. That pulse was just something to get more time for the real thing. Though I won't do it if nobody actually cares about it cuz it would mean a bunch of explaining :wink:

But keep those stories about your electronics experience coming... it's interesting to read.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 09:55:42 am »
Gj, even though I have no idea what that means, at least it works, hue.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 09:57:22 am »
+1
It looks like your patient is dying, doctor.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 10:01:16 am »
+1
That looks like a Fourier Transform, still not fast enough.
Reminded me of this masterpiece:

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 10:21:18 pm »
+1
I lack the proper English term but I guess my brother was a Structural Engineer too.
He worked for a small but international recognized firm which build climate chambers... but those big ones.
I know he was responsible for several chambers for Audi, VW and BMW where they test their prototypes and new cars in. One chamber with a temp range of -65°C up to 110°C. Pretty impressive stuff with all the statics, considering the extreme temperatures which work with the whole structure.
Before he studied, he became a skilled labor for climate isolation. So he knew all the isolation stuff and had the studies about constructional engineering on top of that...

He was less annoyed by contractors but he cursed every single architect he had to work with. He always complained that they made plans for some sky palace which wouldn't stand for more than 1 hour stable if it had been built like they wanted it :D

Anyway, back to topic :P

I actually have a few screenshots I could post about what my real challenge to design is atm. That pulse was just something to get more time for the real thing. Though I won't do it if nobody actually cares about it cuz it would mean a bunch of explaining :wink:

But keep those stories about your electronics experience coming... it's interesting to read.

Oh I hate architects too. Like, can't you shits use standardized paper? why not 30X42 or 24X36, you just HAVE to use 27.5X43...wtf?....
In most cases, though, I do houses so we rarely get stuff that makes me want to punch the architect in the face. Usually it's just mild annoyance at shit they do. It usually ends up with the builder calling us up and going, "WTF is this shit?" to which we go "Architect."

I'm still in the training period for doing actual strucural engineering. It's not really an internship, but it's not really a job. I'm a "working" intern would be the best way to describe it. 40 hrs a weeks, standard pay scale(hourly), and I draw plans and limited engineering. Only been at this job for about 3.5 months.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 11:19:29 pm »
+1
what exactly is your job called molly?

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 11:31:13 pm »
+1
I got tasered once, does that count?
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 11:48:07 pm »
+2
I got tasered once, does that count?

Well, don't wag with your tail in public, meowoofer.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 12:34:51 am »
Those analog ones aren't that costly anymore... dunno, maybe a few hundred euros. We have a few digital ones that were around 20.000€ a piece, like a year ago. And that's already with percentage off cuz University and stuff. The old and cheap ones are good enough for the stuff I do atm.
Well, basicly it's a simple voltage pulse of 15V. But it's like really short which is one of the tricky parts... as you can see it's around 700 nano seconds long (700*10^-9 seconds/that's way less than a blink of an eye). It's just for testing a certain sensor setup.
I am using my microcontroller, which supplies me with 3,3V, to switch my circuit I built which then provides me with the 15V pulse I need.

Basicly, I built a really fast switch :) The spectacular part is actually the really sharp edge and that there is no oscillation after turning it on and off again. The overall sharpness of the pulse is just beautiful. I am just excited cuz I didn't expect that my quick'n dirty solution would work that nice.
On Thursday I am planning to half the time of the pulse. Hopefully down to something around 400ns.

Mathematically it's sweet when you just take a look at the edge. Let's assume that the raise of the voltage happens in something like 35ns, which is probably still too long compared to the real pulse, that means the voltage makes a jump from 0V to 15V in that time window:

That already equals 0,395V per ns. Soooo sweet... :D If I can half the pulse time, I doubled the Voltage per ns! Probably doesn't sound that spectacular but it actually is, considering I build all that with parts that sum up to 25cents or something :wink:

I took one electronics engineering course last year when I was planning on taking a EE minor. Wasn't really my thing. I understood the material well enough, and found it all very interesting, but the way everything was graded just really turned me off. More points for arriving at the right answer than was awarded for your work. Sure, makes sense, but the fact that on many questions no partial credit was awarded AT ALL, just really sucked. It's annoying how minor things like that turn you away from doing what you want. I didn't do so well in that course and if I continued following that road I would probably graduate with some shit GPA and get hired by no one. :(

Anyways, I have to say that my first reaction once I saw the time interval was "DAMN NICE SLOPES!" lol... very steep indeed, almost instantaneous. Nice job man.

Also, fail in three words.

Beat me to it.  :(

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador