Author Topic: Avatar - Shit movie, only decent character with the best quote  (Read 5788 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar - Shit movie, only decent character with the best quote
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2014, 12:24:23 am »
Internet can be really bad for that. Words like "alot", "grammer" (as Anders demonstrates), "mispell" and so on and so forth are everywhere, and you can be led to believe they're correct because so many people use them.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2014, 12:27:44 am »
+1
No. I wish to be able to write correct high level English naturally and reading/writing correct English helps immensely, just as reading/writing informal English actually deteriorates one's ability to write the correct form.

Point still stands. Correcting other works doesn't help your sense of English(such as the case of Xant's doing). If you correct other works for your own advancement, it needs to be done on a regular, daily schedule like a job.

Correcting your own work, is INFINITELY superior to correcting other works precisely because of the fact that, as a race, we humans tend to learn from our own mistakes. Now, we might say this is wisdom, and many agree. Some of the older philosophers have said that wisdom is learning from others mistakes, though. So, perhaps it is good for you, perhaps it isn't. I personally find that for application of language, your mistakes are more important. In terms of building and mathematics learning from others is much better than learning from your own failures.

Also, concerning your Langauge thing. We tend to "pass over" things like that in general reading due to the fact that our brains are smarter than everything but...our dicks :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2014, 12:56:36 am »
So Anders goes from "point still stands, correcting other works (sic) doesn't help your sense of English" to "perhaps it is good for you, perhaps it isn't". Convincing!
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2014, 01:23:51 am »
+1
So Anders goes from "point still stands, correcting other works (sic) doesn't help your sense of English" to "perhaps it is good for you, perhaps it isn't". Convincing!

The best debater leaves it up for the other person to decide rather than try and force his views on the other. :wink:

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2014, 02:26:45 am »
+1
This isn't about grammar, it could possibly be about spelling, but mostly it is about using the wrong word and changing the meaning of the sentence and the paragraph.

For example:

I have pains. Maybe tomorrow I will do a portrait. (Really? You are going to have a portrait taken while having pains? Weird.)

I have paints. Maybe tomorrow I will see the doctor. (Hmm, what will the doctor do with your paints? Or did you just segue there?)
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2014, 09:18:37 am »
The best debater leaves it up for the other person to decide rather than try and force his views on the other. :wink:
No. That's what the worst debaters do.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2014, 10:40:54 am »
+1
Point still stands. Correcting other works doesn't help your sense of English(such as the case of Xant's doing). If you correct other works for your own advancement, it needs to be done on a regular, daily schedule like a job.

Correcting your own work, is INFINITELY superior to correcting other works precisely because of the fact that, as a race, we humans tend to learn from our own mistakes. Now, we might say this is wisdom, and many agree. Some of the older philosophers have said that wisdom is learning from others mistakes, though. So, perhaps it is good for you, perhaps it isn't. I personally find that for application of language, your mistakes are more important. In terms of building and mathematics learning from others is much better than learning from your own failures.

Also, concerning your Langauge thing. We tend to "pass over" things like that in general reading due to the fact that our brains are smarter than everything but...our dicks :wink:

I varies from person to person, but everybody is influenced by what they read, and will write in a way that is similar to that. This is not a conscious learning effort, hence why it's also the easiest way to learn when what you read is written correctly and the easiest way to forget correct spelling and grammar when it is not. It's about keeping what I read as clean as possible.

Offline BASNAK

• King
  • Renown: 1349
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MolonLave_Garlic
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2014, 12:24:41 pm »
+1