Author Topic: Believe in God #2  (Read 10927 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Believe in God #2
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 03:14:44 pm »
+2
OP edited to be more provocative.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 03:25:05 pm »
+1
If I could remove religion from the Earth I would. But I think its incredibly disrespectful to push too hard against someone's beliefs. They are born into it, it affects very important parts of their lives and can be part of their culture and sense of self. All you can do is provide an alternative and present different ideas. Beyond that you are just being an antagoniser/"insert insult" and by making the alternative something that ridicules you or behaves too disrespectfully they might never want to take the step to that side

So I say question beliefs when its appropriate but be respectful regardless because its like trying to tell people that green is red. They learn this stuff at such an early part of their lives that its ingrained into them as facts. They might not change their mind straight away, but at least leave them the option of switching without them thinking people who don't believe are complete dicks. Why would they want to not believe if all the people who talk to them about atheism do it in such a way. And they might never change their mind so why not be respectful and leave them to it?
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline enigmatic_stranger

• King
  • Renown: 1118
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 03:39:32 pm »
+17
God is dumb and you're dumb and you should feel dumb if you believe in God.
You saying that god isn't real, and than you say that god is dumb! It means that you belive in god! Haha ha ha! You dumb! Haha!
Xent: 0
Autism: 1

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 03:41:03 pm »
What? No, I never said God isn't real. Obviously he's real. I just said you're dumb if you believe in him.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 03:49:21 pm »
+3
He's (God) real.[...] You're dumb if you believe in him.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 04:11:04 pm »
+1
Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 04:22:03 pm »

(click to show/hide)
Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.

I don't see how this is mindblowing, but I also have a little bit of a time wrapping my head around the lack of religion toward a deity/deities in whose existence you believe, unless you believe also that they do not interact with the world or humans.

In which case, why would they matter.

Offline Tyefire

• Baron
  • Renown: 111
  • Infamy: 76
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 12:50:58 am »
I see now how many people think on this mod and I do respect that.  :wink: I do understand why people would not believe in a god without factual evidence, but I do believe there is a higher being somewhere. We were not all made from thin air everything came from something. For example: Space itself, did not just appear.They say the big bang made all of earth[which for all who do not know is a theory that deduces a cataclysmic birth of the universe (big bang)  from the observed expansion of the universe, cosmic background radiation, abundance of the elements, and the laws of physics. I do believe there is a being watching over us and think what you want but not believing in anything is simple minded to me.  :rolleyes:
You can breathe..this is not a dream I really just slayed you.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 12:58:43 am »
+9
The existence of Xant is proof enough that there is no God.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 12:59:06 am »
How is not believing in anything simple minded? Do you have any reason for believing there is "a being watching over us"? If not, is that not the same as believing there are pink, invisible unicorns flying around you singing "Kumbayaah my Lord, kumbayaah"? If not, why not?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Latrinenkobold

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Stop the nerfs
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hagur
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 01:00:37 am »
+3
i´d rather not have some higher beeing watch me all the time  :oops:

Offline Tyefire

• Baron
  • Renown: 111
  • Infamy: 76
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 01:24:06 am »
i´d rather not have some higher beeing watch me all the time  :oops:
The thing is the higher being is what you make of it. God is what is you make God to be. If being nice to people and/or just living a healthy life is a form of god to someone then let them be.
How is not believing in anything simple minded? Do you have any reason for believing there is "a being watching over us"? If not, is that not the same as believing there are pink, invisible unicorns flying around you singing "Kumbayaah my Lord, kumbayaah"? If not, why not?
So then from your perspective, what do you believe us and the space time continuum came from. Where does that voice that is in the back of your head come from when you are about to make a bad decision. Im saying that you are being kind of close minded if you believe we come from nothing or that a fucking explosion started the universe.
You can breathe..this is not a dream I really just slayed you.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 01:53:10 am »
+7
Being a God myself i feel i should shed some light on this matter. We just don't care about humanity. We use your faith to amuse ourselves. Like your little E-peen contests we have Omg look how many guys i got to worship me contests.

your females are ok for consorting with sometimes but personally i prefer Isis. The Nordic gods are game for a laugh but Allah and Jehovah are pretty dull guys always taking the manipulation of mortal noobs too seriously. They are pretty try hard.

Personally i feel i have a mighty God-peen i mean i got people to build me giant pyramids, ahh the good old days.
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 02:07:04 am »
+3
There's no need to insert divine beings into concepts humans do not understand completely yet, it just adds a whacko incomprehensible divine being that happens to coincide with crazy goat herder Bronze Age rules and customs.

The conscience can be readily explained by guilt being a trait that causes an increase in fitness in the context of societies where cooperation is rewarded, and "cheating" is heavily punished.

Any model of the universe that requires a divine being as a first mover calls for bad special pleading logic where everything needs a cause except a complex divine being (with crazy rules that conveniently change later on), which falls apart when you ask why the universe/singularity cannot be eternal, let alone why they would leave humans alone for thousands of years (if you are a YEC that ignores physics, geology, chemistry, etc), or hundreds of thousands of years (if OEC).

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 02:51:57 am »
+5
So then from your perspective, what do you believe us and the space time continuum came from.
I don't believe anything about it. I don't know where and how "everything" began. I don't have enough data to believe anything; so I don't.

Where does that voice that is in the back of your head come from when you are about to make a bad decision. Im saying that you are being kind of close minded if you believe we come from nothing or that a fucking explosion started the universe.
The voice in the back of my head comes from my brain.

What you say there makes no sense. There is scientific evidence that an explosion started the Universe. Indeed, you are being the close minded one if you refuse to look at the data and instead just "believe" something else, for no reason at all.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.