Author Topic: Time to end the range whine.  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Time to end the range whine.
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 04:01:59 pm »
This. If melee was more lethal it wouldn't feel like you you only died to ranged and teambumps, along with making shit more overall fun.

No. Melee needs more survivability vs ranged. They are already plenty lethal vs ranged when in range and melee already complains about how long it takes to kill each other with the skill level in blocking and the weapon speed and lack of turn speed. It should take bodkins as long to kill as it takes the cut arrows to kill now, and the cut arrows could take up to 50% more. Oh, and fuck xbows with no wpf investment, they need a serious rebalance against everything else in the mod.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 04:05:04 pm by Rumblood »
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2013, 04:54:38 pm »
this is the thing a lot of crpg guys don't understand, ranged in native is very well balanced; every single infantryman can get a shield (as you say defensive), and throwing weapons, which are just not anywhere near as viable in crpg as they are in native.

if you want throwing with a shield in crpg you have to sacrifice ~~ 5+ power throw & ~~ 3 points in weapon master, as well as acquiring +3 throwing weapons, which is a huge sacrifice for having a very small chance of killing a player, compared to what an extra 2 ath or 2 powerstrike instead of the throwing would give you

IMO remove power throw, make it completely dependent on throwing WPF.

Countering ranged with ranged is a poor solution imo. Ranged works against every class in the game without fulfilling much prior conditions such as maneuvering into range, and when they are in short range with someone they have the single best ability in the game->manual block. That with strong melee weapons, agi and some PS makes them too variable. Making ranged good in melee is one of the worst balance tweaks the devs have done. They should be good at ranged and melee should be good at melee, not hybrid ranged and melee

They buffed 1 handers too much. They made 0 slot weapons too good. They increased the armour limit before WPF is affected, increases 1 hander weight so they get less stun without shield, they buffed 1 hand stab too much. They increased the damage on lots of 1 handers. 1 handers with knockdown proc too often

I wouldn't mind having true ranged counters that don't involve having more projectiles flying around. Like have a class of cav player that is strong against ranged but not too strong against regular infantry. So bump damage is increased for eg against low armour, and make it so ranged need to use low armour
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Arthur_

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 557
  • Infamy: 148
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Arthur
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 05:33:39 pm »
+4
Ranged got a problem on EU1 becouse melee is just fucking retarded. People just dont realise that if we would leave ranged to die all the time, leaving them protectless in the field, that would slowly make them dissapear. But no 2h tryhard need to be fucking scums and kill everything with ranged behind.

like here
http://forum.melee.org/general-discussion/all-melee-players-should-show-understanding-to-each-other/

So I did that and what happened, got banned for a hour...

Jackie who?

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 05:59:09 pm »
+1
I'm not going to make my team lose just to spite ranged. The devs need to balance and offer reasons not to be ranged
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1222
  • Infamy: 303
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2013, 06:12:58 pm »
No. Melee needs more survivability vs ranged. They are already plenty lethal vs ranged when in range and melee already complains about how long it takes to kill each other with the skill level in blocking and the weapon speed and lack of turn speed. It should take bodkins as long to kill as it takes the cut arrows to kill now, and the cut arrows could take up to 50% more. Oh, and fuck xbows with no wpf investment, they need a serious rebalance against everything else in the mod.

As someone who used Horn Bow and Arrows, I must agree. It takes quite a few shots to kill armored melee, unless you aim for the head. But I believe that's fine. In return, archers should get their speed back and increased melee ability.

But xbow will remain an issue. Arbalest is too potent and too easy to use.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2013, 06:17:50 pm »
Bla bla bla...

Herp derp buff me derp... Time to put u on the ignore list.

I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2013, 06:28:06 pm »
+1
Kinda funny that the same argument had been happening for almost 4 years now.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:31:19 pm by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 07:01:21 pm »
Countering ranged with ranged is a poor solution imo. Ranged works against every class in the game without fulfilling much prior conditions such as maneuvering into range, and when they are in short range with someone they have the single best ability in the game->manual block. That with strong melee weapons, agi and some PS makes them too variable. Making ranged good in melee is one of the worst balance tweaks the devs have done. They should be good at ranged and melee should be good at melee, not hybrid ranged and melee

They buffed 1 handers too much. They made 0 slot weapons too good. They increased the armour limit before WPF is affected, increases 1 hander weight so they get less stun without shield, they buffed 1 hand stab too much. They increased the damage on lots of 1 handers. 1 handers with knockdown proc too often

I wouldn't mind having true ranged counters that don't involve having more projectiles flying around. Like have a class of cav player that is strong against ranged but not too strong against regular infantry. So bump damage is increased for eg against low armour, and make it so ranged need to use low armour

lol, i have like no problems at all with ranged on my build

if you have even a little native experience you realise rather quickly that the ranged on crpg is just so weak
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2013, 07:17:20 pm »
+1
I'm not so sure :P crpg archers do the same amount of damage % wise to native ones even when im wearing heavy armour :P add that to the fact that people don't want to play native and would like to play 2h or polearm without shield sometimes then you can understand the whine :P
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Arthur_

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 557
  • Infamy: 148
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Arthur
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2013, 07:43:25 pm »
lol, i have like no problems at all with ranged on my build

if you have even a little native experience you realise rather quickly that the ranged on crpg is just so weak

them agiwhores

Jackie who?

Offline Lord_Bernie_of_Voodoo

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove Great Lances 2015
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Bernie
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2013, 07:52:15 pm »
+4
I've never understood why there is so much hate towards archers, but little towards the more easier class of crossbow? Possibly an NA/EU difference in ranged makeup?

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2013, 08:04:34 pm »
+2
I've never understood why there is so much hate towards archers, but little towards the more easier class of crossbow? Possibly an NA/EU difference in ranged makeup?

ranged makeup? they wear lipstick in NA?

(click to show/hide)
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2013, 08:07:41 pm »
+1

I hate all ranged classes equally. I play this game for its rich melee combat, not to endlessly kite from multiple people launching shit at me from far away. I've learned to just quit the server when there's too many ranged on. Just the other day I joined at the end of a round and the last guy was kiting 6 archers and it was just like, welp time to rejoin some other time.

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Pinche

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2013, 08:59:46 pm »
I hate all ranged classes equally. I play this game for its rich melee combat, not to endlessly kite from multiple people launching shit at me from far away. I've learned to just quit the server when there's too many ranged on. Just the other day I joined at the end of a round and the last guy was kiting 6 archers and it was just like, welp time to rejoin some other time.

For rich melee combat, go duel.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2013, 11:52:59 pm »
For rich melee combat, go duel.

some of that "elite" duelers are just boring backpedeling cunts that just block, atack, block, atack block, atack block, atack block, atack block, atack block, atack block, atack block, atack block, atack block, atack block, atack block, and there is no way around that.
if you drop on that some macro( "I have fast mouse lol bitch") knockdown and  kick(that deserve own WTF topic) duel is frustrating, boring and gay as fuck.

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?