Author Topic: Good Melee Archer Level 35 Build  (Read 7570 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 608
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Good Melee Archer Level 35 Build
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 07:24:38 pm »
PD over bow req reduces effective wpf, I think.

Thanks for useful advices. Shame no one went into details, posting some formulas.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 10:38:23 pm »
+1
Leshma, I think that if you got a +3 bow (longbow), your accuracy will be good enough, even with 150 (just go to train regularly on DTV), and about melee, 50 is already efficient with high athletics skills, combined with 6/7 PS.

About my build, I'm using 21/21, since that PD improves your arrow's trajectory, speed, and damages, it helped me to kill armored players

(click to show/hide)

This build is quite effective at level 35, because of high amount of hit points (64 hp), combined with speed and enough strength to kill heavy targets at melee with some stabs.

Since I only used longbow, I think that 7 PD is a must because of the bad missile speed of this bow, but if you get a rus bow, it may be effective with 6 PD :p
Just make some tests with an STF about every factor of your future char.

Offline Kan_Tervel

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Tervel_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Tervel
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 01:58:11 am »
one build form me
Level: 35
Health Points: 61

Strength: 18
Agility: 24

One Handed: 76
Archery: 170

Ironflesh: 4
Power Strike: 6
Athletics: 8
Power Draw: 6
Weapon Master: 8
The truth is that we are addicted. Nubspawnrape addiction. Strong dependence. We need help. Give us all your silver. We gather for professional therapy  :wink:

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 01:38:45 am »
Dont be gay and go for 18/27

IMO it's best bulid for long bow user, with 198 wpf at least you can shoot against low tier, sub-machine bows.
(did i mentioned that with MW nomad and tatar bow i have dot accuracy?)
Archer forever :D

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 301
  • Infamy: 1658
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 02:07:49 am »
Fuck this, I'm going crossbow :lol:

When the Special people aka balancers remove this horrible stone from my back I might again reconsider archery. But not now.

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 09:46:15 am »
+4
Like two years ago Sebiastian posted something like this, I am not a coder so do not even bother myself how it exactly works, but it might be some kind of solution or at least a tip to a bit more sophisticated system that would slow down archers a bit, requires some input from one of the devs tho:

Many Items in crpg dont have realistic weights.
For example;
Longbow = 1.7kg (~0.8kg would be realistic)
quiver with 24 arrows = 5.0kg (~1.5kg would be realistic)

These items are that heavy to slow down archers.
But since there are some new operations in the module system it is possible to slow down archers in a better way.
   |
   |
 \|/
It is possible to slow down archers only if they move while they draw their bow and move with the drawn bow.

So this is what I did in my own mod.
It also affects xbows and muskets.
...This is just an example for you developers :wink:
This goes in module_mission_templates.py
Code: [Select]
#limit moving speed
moving_speed_limiter = (
  0.5, 0, 0,
  [
    (try_for_agents, ":agent"),
      (agent_is_alive, ":agent"),
      (agent_is_human, ":agent"),
      (agent_get_horse, ":horse", ":agent"),
      (le, ":horse", 0),
      (agent_get_wielded_item, ":weapon", ":agent"),
      (ge, ":weapon", 0),
      (item_get_type, ":weapon_type", ":weapon"),
      (agent_get_attack_action, ":attack_action", ":agent"),
      (try_begin),
        (this_or_next|eq, ":attack_action", 1),#readying_attack
        (this_or_next|eq, ":attack_action", 2),#releasing_attack
        (eq, ":attack_action", 5),#reloading
        (try_begin),
          (eq, ":weapon_type", itp_type_bow),
          (agent_set_speed_modifier, ":agent", 60),
        (else_try),
          (this_or_next|eq, ":weapon_type", itp_type_crossbow),
          (eq, ":weapon_type", itp_type_musket),
          (agent_set_speed_modifier, ":agent", 70),
        (try_end),
      (else_try),
        (agent_set_speed_modifier, ":agent", 100),
      (try_end),
    (try_end),
  ], [])

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 03:23:59 pm »
You don't need anything but 6 or 7 PS to have a solid melee backup. Melee wpf is not worth it if you only want to defend yourself (that is, time is on your side, you don't need ultrafast feinting etc.). Just put a couple of 1h wpf so that you reduce the damage malus but that's all you need.

Also, Iron Flesh is definitely a useful skill for archers with some armor.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 03:51:48 pm »
Ironically, I have found that crossbowers/archers somehow benefit more from being protected by heavy armor; if not for the wpf penalty. Infantry needs to keep it in a balanced way to be effective, movement/protection wise. Whereas archers in general, have to stand while shooting and they generally need to move less (if you don't care about kiting); armor protection works much better because enemy cav and ranged is more likely to target you and you tend to be more vulnerable to them.

Crossbow is the best class for this, occasionally. Wpf penalty is not that important for accuracy, you only feel some difference in reloading speed.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2837
  • Infamy: 2975
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 06:46:33 pm »
+1
Major reason why I'm considering crossbow build instead of archery, is unbalance between these two classes atm. 90% of time I die to xbow. They are extremely hard to kill, always hiding behind walls. Their reload time is fast enough to allow me up to three shots (which are highly inaccurate compared to xbow shots). I have 170 wpf in archery and use Rus Bow. It's different with minigun bows but I'm not willing to sacrifice style to be effective against xbows.

Also, at level 35 you can have some awesome and fun builds such as shielder/arbalester 18/24 or 15/24 HX/1Hcav. Stuff like that is impossible with archery.

Only thing I like about archery is lack of accuracy. It really takes some skill to get a good shot at someone, especially if you shoot in 3rd person view. In 3rd person view crosshair is still off, it aims a lot lower and a bit to the side. Also drop of arrows when using big bows is immense, so you need to take that into account. Minigun bows are different and pretty much fit the picture melee has about archery being easy mode.

Xbow on the other hand, is usable without wpf and with 150 or so effective arbalest is like sniper in any FPS. Kills instantly and projectile flies straight and fast. Only problem is that's a bit boring (unless you're like Gnjus or Dave, boring people from Boringtown).

Edit: Also forgot to mention that as an archer killing shielders is often easy. Killing shieldless melee is harder because they can zig zag and if you're not experienced (like me) it's fairly hard to hit them.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1020
  • Infamy: 239
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 06:51:30 pm »
+1
You don't need anything but 6 or 7 PS to have a solid melee backup. Melee wpf is not worth it if you only want to defend yourself (that is, time is on your side, you don't need ultrafast feinting etc.). Just put a couple of 1h wpf so that you reduce the damage malus but that's all you need.

Also, Iron Flesh is definitely a useful skill for archers with some armor.

I want to be able to fight like xbower can. That's why I'll prolly choose xbow. Imho archery is fine (with cut arrows, bodkins change the picture a lot). Xbow needs heavy nerf.

Offline Algarn

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 07:02:32 pm »
+1
Leshma, if you want a really good build,  DaveUKR is using 15/30, with 10 WM, 10 ATHL, 5 PS and 1 IF (?), he got like 130 wpf in 2h and 180ish wpf in crossbows. You can outrun everyone while wearing a plate, without talking about the accuracy and the fighting ability at melee.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 531
  • Infamy: 258
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 07:19:10 pm »
+1
To tell you the truth I would choose this build in a jiffy:

5 PS/Shield
4 HA
8ATH
8WM
124 1H
145 Crossbow

If not for one little problem. I was an idiot and gave away all my looms so now don't have all the looms I need for such build and of course don't have the gold to blow on upkeep (20k on xbow/sword/shield/bolts, 30k on horse, 15k on armor = total 65k which won't allow me to break even).

Archery with bodkins is also horribly expensive, because arrows break every round (another balance counter-measure), so I'll probably use cheaper Arrows of something.

Offline Algarn

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 07:51:33 pm »
+2
Barbed are good if you have to spare some money. They deal decent damages (+7 cut) and they got a nice ammo (20 arrows)  for 114 gold only.

And this build isn't very effective ... I didn't try for a long time, but this HX build is almost useless now if you compare to a HA using a Yumi, because of the slow reload speed and the low damages when you go at melee (you will have to stab or your hits will always glance). But I think it's worth a try with +3 items (as you get speed, accuracy and damages from looms). Kratos said once that he tried a similar build, and he got good times with it, but still, also said this build may fail sometimes because of the lack of accuracy.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 1449
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 07:09:47 pm »
+1
Fuck this, I'm going crossbow :lol:

When the Special people aka balancers remove this horrible stone from my back I might again reconsider archery. But not now.

No deal. Ever since I've retired my alt, been bored on melee main beyond belief. Going back to my old friendchery, my new true calling! :mrgreen:

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 07:15:32 pm »
Try crossbow, try archer. Just try all.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D