Author Topic: no loom = x2 XP  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: no loom = x2 XP
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 10:47:44 am »
+1
Seems good in essence, but I would prefer people don't leech gold as much as they already do.  Would prefer people to be rewarded with more XP if they are breaking even, or even spending gold on upkeep.  That way people have some sort of incentive to use better gear.  I don't like people being rewarded for essentially leeching.
In that case it is probably leeching if I play any other class than hoplite, as hoplite probably gives me the most consistent and solid influence on my team's winning chances.

Offline Aksei

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 11:07:39 am »
+1
I like this idea, few little issues, but i'm sure they could be worked out. Three main points from me;

1, If implemented I think it would need to be capped at lvl30

2, I'd say x1.5 XP, Double would be too much imo

3, Something would have be put in place to stop people picking up MW weapons off the floor and getting extra XP

this sounds nice to me

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 01:46:13 pm »
This is so easily abusable, so no.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 04:04:22 pm »
In that case it is probably leeching if I play any other class than hoplite, as hoplite probably gives me the most consistent and solid influence on my team's winning chances.

You're catching on to my drift now :P

I don't mind if people want to use "lower cost" gear, or play on gimmicky builds they have fun with, but these people are rewarded more heavily than people who break even or lose money over time.  I never liked that the gold gaining system in crpg encouraged people to use shitty gear.

And yes Kafein, I'm a very competitive person.  That's where I find my enjoyment.  But if I lose, or get killed I don't rage about it like a lot of try hards.  I try harder next time.  :mrgreen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 04:27:58 pm »
Please, stop making more changes to the game...

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 05:51:40 pm »
Apply it only on siege/battle.
Sorry, but in which game modes do we actually have multi except for Siege and Battle? Did I miss a patch or anything?

Isn't there a low level server already?

only EU and always empty, so no multi
If people badly needed this exp buff, the low level server would be more populated. The empty server is not a reason to implement an exp-buff-when-unloomed system, but rather supports the idea that such a system is not needed.

I understand that it takes very long for new players to get looms, and it might be very annoying to play without them. All of us have played as peasants and beginners with vanilla items, and conditions for noobs have improved significantly (Exp and gold per tick instead of per kill, a marketplace where you can buy additional loompoints or items if you safe some money, no repair costs for gen 1 players till a certain level, low level server, Strategus battles, good exp in the new DTV, valor for the melee heroes among you, clan armories, peasants united, ...). However, in some months, you will be cRPG veterans too who worked hard for their items and do not want to bear relative disadvantages because you finally have your desired looms. Grinding is surely not the only, but still one of the things that keep this game interesting for a very long time.

Don't undermine looms, a part of the life essence of this game.
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 05:54:06 pm »
Honestly, no offense at all, but I am still wondering why everyone but Erzy and me is upvoting the opening post.
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2797
  • Infamy: 2735
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 06:43:00 pm »
+2
You're catching on to my drift now :P

I don't mind if people want to use "lower cost" gear, or play on gimmicky builds they have fun with, but these people are rewarded more heavily than people who break even or lose money over time.  I never liked that the gold gaining system in crpg encouraged people to use shitty gear.

Well guess what, if there weren't those people you call leechers there would be less gold in circulation, because chadz would take everything to himself cause of high repairs everyone would have to pay.

But this way, you can retire, sell a loom point to a leecher and enjoy your armored horsey for another full gen. Without it, you wouldn't even be able to consistently ride armored horse because upkeep wouldn't allow you that.

You actually benefit from players using shitty gear.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 07:09:01 pm »
+1
Honestly, no offense at all, but I am still wondering why everyone but Erzy and me is upvoting the opening post.
Probably because you have no clue about good game design, think grinding is fun, have a lot of looms and a lot of free time.

The progression system in cRPG is terrible game design without any catch-up system. Long time players have looms, get a huge advantage, and continue to accrue looms at an even higher pace than new players due to gen bonus. After you get a fully loomed set you still continue to accrue looms at the same speed. Which means that if a new player comes to this mod he is fighting all fully loomed players, while he himself is a good 400-700 hours away from getting fully loomed himself. That is a ridiculous amount of time. 400-700 hours of old players shoving their fully loomed dick up your arse.

The entire concept of looms itself is stupid. Getting advantages without it costing you anything. There is no reason to not play with looms, they are just plain advantages. However with this system you will acquire your first looms at a much faster pace, and then you are presented with a choice. You can get the advantage of using these looms, or you can play without and get more looms in the end. This allows faster catch-up for new players, while also reducing the amount of fully loomed players so it gets easier for new players. It changes nothing for players that want to play with looms, like me. Those people that really want looms still have to play 40-50 hours for a loompoint, so if that is what keeps you playing it will continue to do so.

Nobody loses, I for one wonder why the hell you downvoted it?

If people badly needed this exp buff, the low level server would be more populated. The empty server is not a reason to implement an exp-buff-when-unloomed system, but rather supports the idea that such a system is not needed.
Lol, that is your argument? You know how in the morning the siege server is empty and then suddenly about 10 people join? It is because people don't want to sit in there and wait until the server fills up, so they gather in battle until they see their siege buddies and propose a move. Others just wait and come back later. Now siege probably has like 200-300 players that occasionally play it, and yet it takes some coordination to get the server populated. Now imagine the same situation but then with 20-30 players that are below 20. Now that is why it is always empty, coordination issues.

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 07:42:37 pm »
Probably because you have no clue about good game design, think grinding is fun, have a lot of looms and a lot of free time.
Hey, no NEET accusations, my life focus is clearly not gaming. And yes, I think grinding is fun, and I think one can play a game with ambition but without doing so 24/7. The skill-demanding combat system AND the grinding-intensity is what distinguishes this game from any kind of counterstrike bullshit every kid in the world plays. I don't want some antisocial community consisting of people who troll, grief and banpoll everyone because they have nothing to lose anyways. Discard the grind or simplify the combat system, and the sorting mechanism that keeps this community nice is removed.

Lol, that is your argument? You know how in the morning the siege server is empty and then suddenly about 10 people join? It is because people don't want to sit in there and wait until the server fills up, so they gather in battle until they see their siege buddies and propose a move. Others just wait and come back later. Now siege probably has like 200-300 players that occasionally play it, and yet it takes some coordination to get the server populated. Now imagine the same situation but then with 20-30 players that are below 20. Now that is why it is always empty, coordination issues.
Don't care, the supply is there, and coordination issues do not explain why there is no demand AT ALL.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2013, 08:40:18 pm »
Don't care, the supply is there, and coordination issues do not explain why there is no demand AT ALL.

How can you say there is no demand at all when

a) Supposing there was demand you wouldn't see it because the noob server would be empty anyway
b) There are peasants playing on EU_1 and EU_2 quite frequently, because the noob server is empty

I personally don't mind a certain form of grind, and actually liked the unbalanced 2010 cRPG because it was very original. Playing a peasant was boring only if you expected to be able to play it the exact same way as a regular guy. I believe that not being static is almost a requirement for good games today. You rarely even see action games without progression systems of some description. This is perceived as a very good thing for a lot of people, me included. Without practical achievements to hunt, half the fun isn't there. There are countless ways of not being static, and many of them do not involve any kind of grinding for power, so it should be possible to please both the achievers and the counter strike lovers.

EDIT : forgetting the "out" part in "without" surely doesn't help writing meaningful stuff
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:05:10 am by Kafein »

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2013, 09:55:47 pm »
+2
Your entire conclusion that there is no demand is based on the observation of an empty server. I explain the cause of your observation which does indeed not explain why there is no demand, simply because it invalidates your conclusion of there being no demand in the first place.

You say:
I see A, must be caused by B.

I say:
C causes A, therefore no B.

Gotta respect the rules, man.

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 04:22:07 am »
You can acutually play with peasent gear when you loom it. You earn a little bit more money, and it is just as playing with vanilla items. Fuma is an example we know all, but lots of other players think the same way:
Adal uses a Nordic Short Sword +3 instead of a Nordic Short War Sword, Mala uses a Short Arming Sword +3 instead of a Broad Short Sword, I use a Nomad Sabre +3 instead of a Liuyedao...

Who would bother looming these items at the opportunity cost of leveling with 50% speed? I want to see rare looms in the battlefield in the future, too.

Besides, what do you think when you introduce an eternal double exp system for players who don't use looms or are gen1 will happen? The Hetmans and kinngrimms and Egos among us who are level 35+ will not level to 36, but to 37 just because they can. The difference between their level and the one of a noob who just started playing will be even greater. It would even be realistic to plan a level 36, 37 or 38 build to reach one day, and as soon as these people are done, they get their looms out their closets and dominate all the servers.

Gotta respect the rules, man.
Logic reasoning works only when there is no argument about the observed facts. If you want to prove that C causes A, therefore no B, gather data and run a regression analysis. Then you can come back with your inferences. Otherwise, how about we just respect that one can see this differently and we stop arguing about it?

Refering to your avatar: A real sir does not downvote every post of people they don't agree with. It's not a nice way of discussing. Different opinions help finding results and thus, help the developers. You can downvote kinngrimm when he designs a TC about himself in the EU TCG thread to tell him he's not the centre of the universe, or a Kapikulu who gets all mad and makes a thread about it when someone jokes about the correlation between teamkills and his clan, or Nightmare798's posts out of tradition...

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 04:27:28 am »
+1
This would remove all the negative externalities:

This shouldn't apply for looms but for gens and more xp should only be aquired below lvl 31 otherwise someone who has no looms easily gets to a high level, afterwards he starts a character and farms his looms. You don't need any looms to become a high level so that's not making sense.

x2 xp for first gen below lvl 31. x1,5 xp for second to fifth gen below lvl 31.
x1 xp for any gen lvl 31 and plus

Supporting this. Maybe I can even get some friends with their very limited frustration tolerance to start playing cRPG this way :lol:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:32:26 am by Panuru »

Offline Dark_Blade

• Count
  • Renown: 210
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Dark_Blade, Fallen_Templar_the_Grey, Jeric_Whistlebone
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2013, 10:27:52 am »
+2
worst suggestion ever
I spent much time for getting all those mws because i wanted to get advantage. i had to fight on public servers and strat battles with lvl <=30 so it made alot of discomfort... and you, poor fresh player(i dont know who are you but if you are suggesting this - you have no looms probably) want to fight with simple equip against full loomed players without any penalty to you but for them... what a bullshit. actually masterworks are not as good as much money and\or time you have to spend for getting one.

its nice suggestion for leechers also.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login