Author Topic: LolStab blocking  (Read 290 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
LolStab blocking
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:55:41 pm »
I'm still seeing some disagreement with stabs, and I know it isn't just 1 handers. Pretty much any melee stab causes someone's butthole to pucker. So here's a thought:

What would be the effect on the game if a block in any direction were to block a stab. Would that make it better for people who have an issue with the way stabs work now? I think Tydeus has tweaked the stab itself as best he can, so would something like this help at all?
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wolfsblood

• Baron
  • Renown: 145
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murder Boner
  • Game nicks: Wolfsblood_MB, Wolfsfang
Re: LolStab blocking
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 06:47:09 pm »
+1
That would make it too easy to block stabs imo. unless of course we made it so that if u have to block the direction the stab is coming from for it to effectively block

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: LolStab blocking
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 07:20:54 pm »
+1
Despite the fact that it sounds ridiculous, I don't think this would solve anything. Everybody can block down properly nowadays (upblock still slightly wins if we start discussing which simple blocks people are the least proficient at doing IMO).

The issue with stabs is that you frequently have to block them:

• When you don't think you have to block, such as:
    • Hitting after the weapon stopped moving (mostly a 2h problem)
    • A new thrust after a voluntarily missed thrust in very quick succession (it's mostly expert pikers doing this)
    • You are very close and you have a lot of armor, you think the stab will glance (sky stabbing trololo)
    • You think you are out of range, because it is much harder to perceive the range of a weapon if the only thing you see is thrusts.
  • Before you can humanely realise you have to block (instastabs, pretty much any kind of weapon can do it, but awlpikes are probably the best)
  • Just after being kicked, as when using 2D polearms and the playstyle that goes with it, landing kicks is really much easier, even against players with relatively long reach.