Author Topic: Just interesting: turtle and atacking shieldwall  (Read 1562 times)

Offline DonNicko

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Remont
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Nicko
Just interesting: turtle and atacking shieldwall
« on: December 14, 2013, 06:11:16 am »
I wonder if this is possible to bring it to c-rpg or M:BG?
Just imagine that your team can make a shieldwall of hoplites and without putting shield down atack with the spear like spartans (of course this ability can be used only for example when there is 5 or more hoplites in the shieldwall using special shields) = new tactic for strat)
Or new formation like a roman turtle for moving forward or building something.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
Re: Just interesting: turtle and atacking shieldwall
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 06:51:33 am »
+11
Are you back?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Skyrim UI

Offline oreshy

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Braxli
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 07:01:05 am »
+1
yes

Offline DonNicko

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Remont
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 07:18:44 am »
Are you back?
Not yet. I have 8000 ticks on the strategus, so I just put troops to the castle and read forum sometimes, watched historical video and an idea came to my mind)

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 08:27:28 am »
+4
cRPG is not made for close formation fighting, for two reasons:
1) Teamhitting
2) Stab attack getting stuck if someone stands close to you on the right.

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:13:43 am »
kicking shieldwall is fun while downblocking
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 03:39:19 pm »
5 hoplites and 1 piker can do something like this.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 05:16:12 pm »
Due to the nature of the game mechanics rigid formation tactics are (usually) doomed to fail in WB. Can still be fun, though, I've often thought of classical renaissance pike and crossbow formations. Against random pubbers (especially with all the new players there seems to be on the EU servers of late) it might even be semi-effective. But no, in general footwork is emphasized in the game.

Offline Dermik

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • DEFENDING_THE_STAIRS
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Defending_the_stairs,Conqueror_litchin,Fagssassin
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 11:35:54 pm »
Due to the nature of the game mechanics rigid formation tactics are (usually) doomed to fail in WB. Can still be fun, though, I've often thought of classical renaissance pike and crossbow formations. Against random pubbers (especially with all the new players there seems to be on the EU servers of late) it might even be semi-effective. But no, in general footwork is emphasized in the game.
Well guys then i suggest you to try Vikingr mod for warband. There are monthly shieldwall battles. Rarely big historical battles :)

AKA : DEFENDING_THE_STAIRS

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 12:12:52 am »
Not yet. I have 8000 ticks on the strategus, so I just put troops to the castle and read forum sometimes, watched historical video and an idea came to my mind)

Historical video as in, he watched 300. Yeah, real historical.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline Sari

• Duke
  • Renown: 507
  • Infamy: 111
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 01:24:38 am »
My clan and I try to make a shield wall before we attack but it's a small wall. Most of my clan gets on different times of the day. We need more members that would join the shield wall.

Hoplites of Greece!

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 03:45:42 pm »
My clan and I try to make a shield wall before we attack but it's a small wall. Most of my clan gets on different times of the day. We need more members that would join the shield wall.

Hoplites of Greece!
Is it NA or EU?
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 04:24:20 pm »
+4
We had some nerdy formation experiment some years ago, think Guard_Tristan organised it, where like twelve people gathered on a server to practice moving in formation and fighting while maintaining formation.

We then took it to EU_1 and got completely wrecked. We moved in a semi circle shield formation with half hoplites and shielders and behind that we had a piker and a few great mauls for damage dealing. Moving and fighting in a formation looks epic, but your enemy doesn't give a shit. What happens is as soon as you charge, enemies run away because they were scared to take on a dense group, which meant that we basically fought with no one all round. Only when our formation was thinned out by ranged that just encircled us and all of our teammates were dead, we would get charged and quickly overwhelmed.

Battle size is too small for formations to have any use and would only work if both teams would have formations that could clash. A formation moves too slow to catch any enemies and people are going to avoid taking you on. Also when we did get in a good fight we performed poorly because we were constantly paying attention to the formation instead of actually fighting. It was a fun experiment and it allowed us to firmly conclude that actual formations beyond just sticking together loosely are useless in cRPG.

Offline DonNicko

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Remont
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 05:37:09 am »
Sorry guys, seems nobody understood me. I'll try to explain. For example when 5 hoplites stay together with special shields, then the new option apears on the screen, which you can choose and when you choose this option the linked shieldwall of 5 shields appears, which has new abilities: 1) all hoplites moves together without breaking the linked shieldwall 2) they can atack with spears without breaking and openning linked shields. So they become like one organism. To separate they need to deactivate this option
Well this is just idea to make some formation on the field. And I dont know if it is possible in C-rpg. Maybe it will be possible in M:BG

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 06:03:40 am »
kicking shieldwall is fun while downblocking

I should be able to stab you in the face or the balls while you down block around your stomach.