Poll

Build? or Buy? (I suggest voting after you watch the video)

Build
Buy

Author Topic: Build VS Buy Gaming PC  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Build VS Buy Gaming PC
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2013, 03:14:10 pm »
+4
Wish me luck, I'm replacing my TX650 with a semi-modular. The day I see the delivery truck shall be the day the fiery octopus which current lair is my PC case is finally vanquished.

I mean, seriously...

(click to show/hide)

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2013, 03:32:23 pm »
You should see my PC, i can't even put the sideplates on, it is so cramped, with drives just sitting freely (because no space to screw them in) :lol:

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2013, 03:37:07 pm »
+1
Wish me luck, I'm replacing my TX650 with a semi-modular. The day I see the delivery truck shall be the day the fiery octopus which current lair is my PC case is finally vanquished.

I mean, seriously...

(click to show/hide)

Nice I would like a modular or semi-modular power supply myself.  My cables are always a mess (even when I try to organize them). 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2013, 03:42:22 pm »
+1
That's also a good reason to ask professionnals to build your custom pc, cable management is a chore.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2013, 04:01:06 pm »
+1
That was always the worst part when I started out in IT support (doing desktop support).  When you setup someone's computer (or build a computer) managing cables was the biggest pain in the ass.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2013, 04:46:41 pm »
+1
That video was pretty awful when it came to the actual reasons to build or not to build a PC. What if you're low on money, or just think it would be a fun project? Not everything can or should be cost efficient. Hell, if you're building a Gaming PC that's the least of your worries.

If you can read and comprehend a  LEGO manual you can build a PC.
Monkeys!

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2013, 04:53:30 pm »
+2

Here is a good informational video.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2013, 05:02:18 pm »
is this guy for real

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2013, 05:07:16 pm »
I followed it through and made many a succesful tweet.

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2013, 05:43:50 pm »
Depends on the cost :p

If I could get the same quality of components pre-built as I can with building my own, it would be a no brainer :).
Though I don't plan on buying a pre-built ever again, as I find building so much more satisfying and you get quite a bit more for what you pay.

Laptops are another kettle of fish :p.

Offline Lars

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2013, 06:16:05 pm »
Only separate CPU and heatsink if you really have to (because the heatsink is blocking stuff you want to get at, or whatever), or if you notice with temp check tools that it's getting hotter over time for some reason. I usually remove it with a turning motion, when the CPU is still in the socket, and the socket is closed. If you pull it, and the CPU gets pulled out of the socket with it (with the socket still closed, the CPU connector feet can get bent, making it hard to re-insert into the socket. If it's already out of the socket and still glued to the heatsink, and you want to remove it, i recommend gently squeezing it between two straight plastic or wood parts, then apply a turning motion to separate it from the heatsink.

If you reapply thermal paste, make sure you remove the old paste first. Don't apply too much, if the CPU is covered in a very thin film, that's enough. Use a piece of hard cardboard or a spattle to distribute it and remove excess paste.

Thanks. At the moment my old cpu  is in its box with the connector feet up . Shouldn't i heat the thermal paste with a phon or something like that  in order to make it "softer"? It looks like it's really glued to the heatsink.

Before i decided to open my case and clean my pc, i also had an extra hard disk connected that i don't use, so i wanted to remove it .
After i removed most of the dust with a vacuum cleaner and a air duster can(  which sucks, i want to buy an air compressor, i could also  use it for other stuff), i reconnected all the cables and turned my pc on, after few seconds i got a bad surprise "error something" ... so i checked if the hard disk was properly connected, tried again, but got the same error.
I re-mounted the hard disk i previously  removed, (that i thought was empty) and it worked. Then i opened the "disk management" program and i noticed that i have a partition of 100MB reserved for the system on that disk lol, i guess i screwed up something when i formatted and reinstalled windows, thought i had installed everything on one disk.

Temperature of my cpu before i cleaned my pc (no programs running) 
(click to show/hide)

After i cleaned my pc( no programs running), pc turned on since ~ an hour
(click to show/hide)
There was a lot of dust inside.

My pc "Hal 9000" 
(click to show/hide)

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2013, 09:24:12 pm »
+1
How much did it cost you ?

Next upgrade is going to be cpu and mobo if required for me so I might as well get an octocore

It cost me £125 about 3 months ago, it was on offer so for that price I was laughing. It's a good CPU for the price, you can't compare it with the current Intels, AMD have fallen behind and the Intel CPUs are clearly superior, but as I said, the bang for the buck is nice and it's gonna be the last upgrade for this system before I go back to an Intel build which is going to cost me an arm and a leg. It does beat quite a lot of the more expensive Intels since they revised it with the Piledriver architecture, the original fx 8350 was lackluster and upset a lot of people.

I am however happy with this CPU's performance in a majority of my gaming experiences, the only downside is, games that don't even try to use multiple cores properly will suffer a lot more on this CPU than an Intel. I pretty much run all these new games on mostly maxed settings with this CPU and a Gainward golden sample GTX 660 with good performance.

I never applied the thermal paste on my cpu, because it said in the instructions that the heat sink/fan has pre-applied thermal interface material.
For example my old cpu is like one piece "glued" with the heat-sink,  but i'm not sure how i could  separate it without causing any damage, should i use a phon or something like that to heat the paste? i don't need that cpu anymore btw.
Also, should i reapply the thermal paste on my cpu after X years?

The pre-applied thermal paste is usually shit and you can't really be sure what quality of paste they used on it even if you can determine the material. I have always cleaned any of the pre-applied paste off of heatsinks using Nail varnish remover ( acetone based stuff ) and some cotton wool. It cleans the paste off pretty easily and it evaporates within seconds.

I personally use Arctic Silver thermal paste, put a blob of that onto the CPU, which I then smooth out over the CPU with a bank card and place the heatsink down onto. You can seperate the CPU and heatsink just by pulling it off, slowly and firmly. It will of course help if you heat the CPU up before you unplug the PC and take the heatsink off as the paste will be softer. Once separated clean with nail varnish remover or something else acetone based as I mentioned before.

Personally I've never had to reapply my thermal paste, because I've always used a good quality paste and applied it correctly, you might notice temperatures rising after a couple of years and if they're a problem then just reapply. You always have to reapply paste anytime you take the heatsink off.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:28:54 pm by Leesin »

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2013, 09:51:01 pm »
+1
Even if you get a prebuilt you should at least learn how to clean your fans, how to remove/reapply thermal paste, and how overclocking works if you are going to use an overclocked system.

It's weird that he included parts research/installing OS into the build time for a high end computer since you'll have to learn with the prebuilt eventually anyway unless you want to spend more money (lol geeksquad).

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2013, 04:53:47 pm »
+1

I mean, seriously...

(click to show/hide)

Yeah, having a case where you can route the cables behind everything works wonders. Then it just takes a few cable ties.

(click to show/hide)
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2013, 05:51:42 pm »
Yeah, having a case where you can route the cables behind everything works wonders. Then it just takes a few cable ties.

(click to show/hide)

Is this yours ?