Author Topic: Lolstab - beyond the over power  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Sanxus

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Infamous.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: United Kingdom of Poland and Lithuania!
  • Game nicks: Sanxus_Warthog_of_Lithuania ; Sanxus_Knyaz_of_Lithuania ; Sanxa_Kniahini_of_Lithuania
Lolstab - beyond the over power
« on: December 06, 2013, 09:23:17 pm »
Alright, it started to annoy me very hard. Once I was happy, I lived in my hood, I was riding on mah pony all day everyday, coudn't stop it. But then, they stopped it! They ruined everything! LOLSTABERS! Pike, awlpike, long spear, or just a pitch fork. Those suckers can stab your horse from a side, and then swing their weapon like it weighs nothing and stop it like stabing from front. Ya all know what I'm talking about! U can't hide it!

Here is my fascinating, and brilliant and original idea. Make it impossible to move your weapon while making stab. For example, with pike you can stab a man standing like 4 meters away cuz of it's range, but you can also kill someone standing next to you, no matter it has 3 meters and weighs 3 kilos (or whatever the units are) but you still are able to stab the air and then swing that shit into your oponent. The same, but worse is with awlpike - faster and more deadly - lolstab is why it's the way it is. Without it knitler would be just a little prick normal player :P ;).
It affects 2h and 1h aswell, spamwhores with 1h lolstab wouldn't be OP, also that would make rondel dagger less annoying.

@haters: don't give me more infamy than I deserve just cuz I want to make this game playable...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Lolstab - beyond the over power
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 09:50:46 pm »
Stop being a douchebag.

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:56:15 pm »
Interesting, a horseman complaining about polearm stabs.

@haters: don't give me more infamy than I deserve just cuz I want to make this game playable...

No, you deserve this minus. This is a bad idea that would make all stabbing weapons very, very shitty, and with that, combat would become collectively shittier. Polearm stab has always been the same so it is interesting that you start complaining about "lolstabers" now.
Granted, the pike and long spear are pretty crazy weapons. But here is a piece of advice; when that thing is swinging every which way, block down.

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 10:27:34 pm »
+1
But here is a piece of advice; when that thing is swinging every which way, block down.

Once you've blocked, hit back, and hit fast. He won't even be able to block if you do it right.

Btw. There is this place called Chamber of Tears for these kind of threads.

Offline Sanxus

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Infamous.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: United Kingdom of Poland and Lithuania!
  • Game nicks: Sanxus_Warthog_of_Lithuania ; Sanxus_Knyaz_of_Lithuania ; Sanxa_Kniahini_of_Lithuania
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:01:28 pm »
I'm not talking about duel or shit like this (cuz pike is definitely not the weapon for it), but particularly bout strat where you got pierced by shitload of pikes at one second and can't do a shit. Maybe immobilizing is bad, but at least make it real enough and slow the movement down. Not the weapon speed, but character spin.

PS: so much hate ;_;

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 11:14:18 pm »
Newmy old friend?

cause turning got hugely nerfed, it used to be almost as fast as you could do it, now you can easily make your camera outturn your polearm. This raises a different problem, but not with stabs.

I think whatcha want to do in strat is not charge into the pike/longspearmen. They are watching and waiting, there is nothing they ("we" actually since I tend to pike in strat if there are limited numbers of awlpikes and becs (leave that shit to the tryhards, they will cry if it runs out)) enjoy more than stabbing the shit out of your horse. Nice big armoured horse and rider, piked! And off course its funny to see the vultures on our team tear the rider and horse apart once hes stopped. Usually dont even go in for second stab if I stopped the horse amongst my teammates.

So watch out, a decent spearman will always try to get the front half of your horse even if you are passed him, because cav is fucking dangerous, us lifelong infantry dont like being horse doormats, we spend many hours stabbing dem horses, and even while defending myself from a gank I will try to pike any enemy horse that comes near.

Pitchfork shouldn't be a problem BTW: even 1hand cav can reach the pitchforker if you time it right. Ive seen many guys with pitchforks get 1hit by the massive ghost reach of 1handers: they fork the horse, as it rears the 1hcav releases a stab or overhead = dead farmer.
I don't know enough

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2859
  • Infamy: 2396
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 11:27:49 pm »
+2
Pike, awlpike, long spear, or just a pitch fork.

:oops:

Ya all know what I'm talking about! U can't hide it!

Of course I know what you're talking about. It's that Nordmen vs Balde battle earlier today, where you kept going for our village, trying to break ladders and was dehorsed and killed almost every time, by me or Lamerina. So now you're mad because we ruined your fun, poor baby :P

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 11:31:59 pm »
Pikes aren't a big deal, they're fine, even with occasionally slightly silly turns you will have plenty of time to block down if you're infantry, and if you're cavalry, you're a shit cavalry player and deserve to get reared, I really wish strat used lighter horses (and lighter gear in general, if only the exp system there wasn't totally retarded) that way shit cav would die like flies and people who know how to ride wouldn't be limited to heavy horses due to them being the only ones there.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 11:35:38 pm »
He's probably right about Knitler tho :D

:oops:
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 122
  • Infamy: 2242
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 11:35:56 pm »
+2
He's one of those kamikaze players in strategus battles. Him, Pandemona, Odysseus, Fifi.. can't remember others right now but there's quite a few. They just charge the enemy spawn whole time, no matter if they do something useful or not. Very skilled at ticket wasting :mrgreen:

He's probably right about Knitler tho

No he isn't. Awlpike isn't that easy to use. If you can do exceptionally well with it, you can do well with pretty much anything.

I find pitchfork way easier, probably because I'm used to it. Hitbox seems to be a lot bigger, shame that damage is a bit poor so glances can be quite common.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 11:39:00 pm by Leshma »

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 11:41:03 pm »
+3

No he isn't. Awlpike isn't that easy to use. If you can do exceptionally well with it, you can do well with pretty much anything.

maybe... but then, you are his bumboy atm and in his clan. Knitler runs from 1v1's all the time tho, so.... yeah, theres that. The main danger of Knitler is that he doesn't miss a single opportunity to stab someone when they arent able to fight back.

I put him in the same groub as Royans, Blackbow, Riddaren etc: VERY VERY good at killing people who cannot fight back.
I don't know enough

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 12:17:17 am »
+4
Wrong. Using the Awlpike to it's full extent requires some gimmick skill, ergo being able to up down stab at face hug range without getting disoriented or missing. Which in itself is not even that hard to learn anyway. Even without that though, the awlpike hits even when stabbing straight or side to side until pretty low reaches, so if you do just that and resort to overheads for the very close encounters, you have a 36p extremely long and fast stab which is also okay in a 1 vs 1. Walking around point and clicking with the current bullshit stab mechanics is not hard by any measure. Very mediocre players get top notch scores all of a sudden by going Awlpike.

Now if you are a half decent player and you learn to kick and facehug stab, you turn the awlpike into an excellent 1 vs 1 weapon, while it becomes godly in supporting roles. Two-directional polearms are simply the most OP weapons in the game with the current state of ridiculously OP stabs. Awlpike and Long Awlpike stand out a little more due to their hard to gauge reach and incredible damage values.

If you see someone using an Awlpike you should halve his score and number of kills to get to the numbers the player actually deserves based on his skill, the rest is the weapon. Of course Knitler and Heibai are top notch players and they would be with any weapon, but the fact that they usually go twice the kills of  most the other classes is simply because the weapon is ridiculous. Especially on Strat where the high armour makes the 36p the best thing. I found today that on my swashbuckler character I was able to boost my k/d immensely by switching from a Military Hammer to an Awlpike with 20 carry over wpf.

I am not sure what the OP is blabbering about, but I agree with the sentiment. Stabs in general are fucking OP and it is probably my number one source of frustration and GTXs these days. Can't be arsed with all the two-directional bandwagon scrubs. It's the biggest problem present in the game and should be fixed asap.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1899
  • Infamy: 640
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 12:42:43 am »
+1
maybe... but then, you are his bumboy atm and in his clan. Knitler runs from 1v1's all the time tho, so.... yeah, theres that. The main danger of Knitler is that he doesn't miss a single opportunity to stab someone when they arent able to fight back.

I put him in the same groub as Royans, Blackbow, Riddaren etc: VERY VERY good at killing people who cannot fight back.

You already noticed that I joined Blood Legion... No, I'm not Knitler's bumboy. I joined the clan for different reasons, mainly to be able to share some looms and play in the same team with Switch.

@Teeth: You are right. Players use awlpike in strat because there's so much plate. For the same reason they use Bec, Morningstar and blunt/pierce one handers. But alwpike is my preferred weapon because it's good against cavalry as well and there's ton of heavy cav in every strat battle.

You're probably right about awlpike abuse mechanics being easy to learn and stuff... but the thing is, there isn't that many players who can pull that off every single time. I don't know how to do it, for example. And there's many players like me around. For me, learning that is just as hard as anything else melee related. Just another "technique" which shouldn't be possible in the first place. Like hiltslash, bumpslash and stuff like that.

If you ask me, currently there's nothing easier than playing kinngrimm's build. High AGI/ATH/WM build with 4/5 PS and steel pick. You just need basic feinting skills to be successful with it. You have auto block (shield), massive damage output, high speed which allows you to abuse clipping/collision issues this engine has. Just make sure you position yourself properly to avoid being hit or kicked while being inside opponent model and you're set. They buffed shielders so much during last few years, I find it disgusting when anyone complains about 2h, polearms or 1h without shield. It's not OP because it still takes way more skill than to play a darn shielder, who has bash, forcefield, speed if goes agi, 360 block. Not to mention that playing a shielder completely denies directional blocking mechanics which makes this game so unique.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2123
  • Infamy: 858
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 12:59:18 am »
+3
Want to add something important, so I'll put it in separate post. What you over the top pro players forget, is that there's very few like you around. Game shouldn't be balanced around you and your knowledge of the game. For average and bellow average player having autoblock (shield) is huge advantage. Those players can't abuse awlpike or anything similar because they can't block reliably, they can't lolstab, they can't "knit". I'm sick of seeing weapons nerfed just because few players are performing very well using those weapons.

You know very that you can kill same amount as lawlpiker, piker, so called swashbuckler, using katana, longsword, danish sword, great maul, even using a bloody pitchfork. That is because you know how to play. But most still aren't up to that level.

Basically, you're mad because players use your weapon and it's not cool anymore so like typical hipster you want it nerfed so you could keep using it only by yourself. Well, I've got a solution for you. Use a pitchfork like I do, no one is using it beside FOB peasants. Fuma uses Trident, me Pitchfork. Viking_Berserk used it a bit, but that's all. Find some unique weapon, doesn't have to be strong. You'll do well with it.

Edit: If you want to nerf stabby polearms, than fix lolstab, face-hug stab mechanics. But don't nerf weapon stats because something is wrong with animation. Because that's bullshit. I don't lolstab and don't deserve nerf just because someone found a way to abuse said weapon. I use that weapon like it's supposed to be used, from range. No reverse attack bullshit, proper weapon control mechanics without secret buffs that come with reversed.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:03:56 am by Leshma »

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 01:12:00 am »
Stabs in general are fucking OP

Agreed here, but I don't think the awlpike is OP. Despite kicks and nudges its still a two directional weapon and simply doesn't have the same 1v1 power of other four directional weapons, especially when faced with a shielder.

Stabs have gone to shit lately, where they (possibly?) are more balanced but just unpleasant to fight against.