Author Topic: Can we fix some animations? (1h stab, 2h stab, Pole instaswing and thrust)  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Can we fix some animations? (1h stab, 2h stab, Pole instaswing and thrust)
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 03:09:48 am »
I think the problem with polearm swing speed is tricky. First, polearms seem to have the animation in which the weapon reaches maximum extension the quickest. In other words, turning into your swings is much more efficient with a long polearm, as other categories perhaps won't glance when not yet inside their sweetspot, but will probably miss due to poor reach. Second, polearm animations seem to be skipping frames and are generally jerky compared to smooth 2h or 1h swings, hence why I often find myself lacking time to block a polearm after the swing is released, even though there's no real problem doing that against fast 1h or 2h.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 09:16:26 am »
+2
Recent months I really havent concerned myself with the 2h stab anymore like I used to. Thats because 1h stab is gamebreakingly good and the stabby poles are extremely frustrading to fight against. It really makes me ask, whats up with the stabs in this game? Why is it so hard to make them descent? I mean we have been arguing about them for years now and things just keep getting worse, not better.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2013, 01:38:52 pm »
Recent months I really havent concerned myself with the 2h stab anymore like I used to. Thats because 1h stab is gamebreakingly good and the stabby poles are extremely frustrading to fight against. It really makes me ask, whats up with the stabs in this game? Why is it so hard to make them descent? I mean we have been arguing about them for years now and things just keep getting worse, not better.

People got used to how unwordly broken the 2h stab is, and now that 1h stab was partially buffed closer to the state of the 2h stab, people realise it's broken. Derp.

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2013, 08:16:16 pm »
With the recent changes to 1h and polearm overhead attack speed, the 2h overhead attack is now underpowered by comparison.

Please correct this imbalance as soon as possible.

P.S. the rest of this thread is probably dumb, idk because I didn't read it.
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2013, 08:50:48 pm »
+1
Probably just need to nerf stabs all around since I imagine most would agree it's the most unrealistic and broken attack for all weapon types.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2013, 09:09:20 pm »
With the recent changes to 1h and polearm overhead attack speed, the 2h overhead attack is now underpowered by comparison.

2h overhead does look like it's underwhelming, but I can't really say how the numbers correlate to how fast the overhead should move visually. + Almost every 2hander I fight never uses overheads so I'm just going off of memory here.

Offline Lecram

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Speaker of Libere Equites
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Libere Equites
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2013, 09:58:09 pm »
The think ist hat all stabs are op 2h Stab is nerft already (stun when blocked) and you can not AIM so high like polearm,1h or down like polearm, 1h stab the only gold think is the range and the dmg for the 2h swords
But hat is my opion

Offline Lecram

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Speaker of Libere Equites
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Libere Equites
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2013, 10:06:29 pm »
Another think is the Speed of weapons for example a polearm weapon with 97speed is another Speed as a 1h sword with the same speed.So you cant say that my 1h sword with 97 Speed habe the same speed as my 2h sword

But that is my opion

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2013, 11:17:59 pm »
+1
2h overhead does look like it's underwhelming, but I can't really say how the numbers correlate to how fast the overhead should move visually. + Almost every 2hander I fight never uses overheads so I'm just going off of memory here.
you almost always hit something else than target with 2h overhead
problem is not that big with shorter 2h weapons
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2013, 01:07:11 am »
you almost always hit something else than target with 2h overhead
problem is not that big with shorter 2h weapons

Bobby means that your weapon tends to bounce on the ground each time you do&miss an overhead, and as you can adjust the overhead with turning when you are polearmer and 1h, 2h overhead tends to behave like if you had a rubbersword and bounce back up which usually gives the enemy enough time to attack even if it seems that the enemy was perfectly in the line of your attack.

Skyrim UI

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2013, 07:35:51 am »

Actually this isn't true.  Maybe in a straight up spam fest, but most 2hers I see will throw an overhead 90 degrees to you, then drag it through your feet, for full damage.  It's quite ridiculous.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2013, 10:15:41 am »
+1
i think the animations, dmg, reach and speee of every weapon is quite balanced atm.
but
those invisible animations really suck.
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2013, 01:12:34 am »

The way I see it, there is only one reason(but two perspectives) you should ever consider editing an animation. This is to make sure it's intuitive to use and understand. It's one of only 4 basic attack directions in the game, it has to be intuitive. I recently edited the 1h thrust(with a very minor adjustment to the polearm animation) specifically because proper use of the animation was unintuitive and required prior knowledge as to what the appropriate method of use was(turning into your swing as a means to delay when you hit. Remember, sweetspots are separate from what happens during an animation, damage is found by progression through the total duration). The second part of this, is to make the visuals represent more closely what players can expect from damage.

I believe, with the exception of the polearm thrust, where the arms appear to extend forward slower, but for a longer period of time(thus slightly harder to distinguish sweetspot locations visually), we are already where we need to be. The problem, is that due to previously mentioned mechanics, there exists large variation in damage outcomes as well as practical uses, which are generally referred to under a single term(concept).

My conclusion? Abandon ship and start from scratch. My opinion is that sweetspots and thrust durations probably shouldn't be so easily affected as they are by such things as weapon speed and weapon proficiency. Speed bonus shouldn't vary as drastically as it does. That is, damage modifiers from speed should probably be cut in half. Don't have some thrusts originate near head level while others below the waist, as long as the head remains as the target hit capsule for maximizing damage.

I'm sure there's more I could add, but at this point I'm rather exhausted from writing and I doubt many people will actually read this as is.

Not sure if the current implementation of 1 hand stab improves intuitiveness or if it simply reduces the difficulty of the attack. Most people play for the challenge and finding out how best to use the attacks and this current 1 hand stab flies in the face of that. Its too simple and easy, it reaches too far, activates too soon and the damage is too high.

Same with right swing, its been made too easy when you add in the shield as well and outreaches weapons they shouldnt outreach. You or someone also increased 1 hand weight (less weapon stun), buffed several with their damage, made more 0 slot for ranged. Its not what the game needs atm
If you have ranged troubles use this: