Author Topic: So, was the throwing lance nerfed with this recent wpf change?  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
So, was the throwing lance nerfed with this recent wpf change?
« on: November 22, 2013, 10:55:45 pm »
To use Throwing lances: 7 PD
So, you need 21 strength. This then limits you to 21/15 or 21/18.
To get 21/18, though, you need to burn 6 points. At level 30 you get 31 Skill Points. That's 13/31 or almost Half of our total Skill points for what ever else.

There's other things as well, but it seems that a throwing lance was hurt way more by the WPF change than most other things since you NEED WPF to use it.(minimum is now 77, versus 91).

You definitely can't hybrid it at all and it is a useless weapon cause there's only 4 of them. Perhaps buff it in compensation or is there other things?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:59:59 am by Kalam »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
Re: So, was the throwing lance nerfed with this recent wpf change?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:59:12 pm »
+5

Maybe make throwing wpf gain same bonuses from other profiencies as melee does. This would help throwin hybrids a lot. Or simply just reduce the wpf requirement even further for throwing. But yeah, IMO throwin got really bad after the patch.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:45:24 pm »
But yeah, IMO throwin got really bad after the patch.

O_O Are we living in the same patch?

The throwing lancers I see in-game are doing just fine, too. Granted, they're way more skilled than the average player (Gafferjack and Sauce)

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 11:52:04 pm »
Throwing got worse, even though the minimum wpf requirement was lowered.

Makes sense.

Offline Mendro

• Count
  • Renown: 236
  • Infamy: 53
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 12:00:48 am »
As thrower my feeling is throwing is fine, problems come from others rangeds too op sometimes (even if I think thrower is not a ranged class).

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • Renown: 208
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vermilion
  • IRC nick: Vermilion
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 01:05:02 am »
IMO throwing lances are balanced for a pure thrower.

However, for hybrids their requirement is too high for the WPF possible (unless you're level 36).

So unless you can find a way to lower their requirements for hybrids (which I think would be impossible or very easily abusable), I don't see anyway you can change their stats without unbalancing them.

Maybe some sort of system where for every 40 WPF (random number as an example) you put in melee, the WPP requirement per WPF drops by 1.
So if you had 120 in melee and 120 in throwing, instead of it costing 10 WPP to gain 1 more WPF in throwing, it cost 7 WPP.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:11:01 am by Vermilion »

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 01:14:29 am »
+3
However, for hybrids their requirement is too high for the WPF possible (unless you're level 36).

Level: 31
(click to show/hide)

looks fine according to me.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 02:19:21 am »
(click to show/hide)

I'm not 100% sure on that. 113 is fine for most others, but lances are still bloody slow. I mean, you STILL benefit from wpf before the patch, you just needed more minimum. 100 is optimal for a thrower, but you can't really hybridize (well, with a shield anyway.)

I'm still torn. I used to be 110/100 or so before patch (1h/thrower) and Now I'm 100/85(roughly). Playing a themed character(a Roman Legionnaire) was hard before, now it's just not fair.

Then of course, lances were not very good as throwing weapons to begin with.(As in choice) and this patch makes them less nice.(21 str Min requirement versus >18 for everything else.)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 02:30:33 am »
Throwing lances are fine
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 03:57:25 am »
Before the patch my throwing lancer was 21/18 with 140 throwing and 89 polearm, now 21/18 135/76 is the best I can do. Slight nerf so, a point or 2 in accuracy/speed (for throwing, I wouldn't touch the melee side) would seem a fair enough buff to compensate the lower maximum wpf.

The lowering of the minimum throwing wpf needed has had absolutely 0 effect imo, since you'll still need the same amount of wpf to get the accuracy and speed you had before the patch. In other words: needing less minimum wpf is a stupid "buff" when you'll still need the same amount of wpf as before to maintain your effiency with a weapon.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 04:05:54 am »
Before the patch my throwing lancer was 21/18 with 140 throwing and 89 polearm, now 21/18 135/76 is the best I can do. Slight nerf so, a point or 2 in accuracy/speed (for throwing, I wouldn't touch the melee side) would seem a fair enough buff to compensate the lower maximum wpf.

The lowering of the minimum throwing wpf needed has had absolutely 0 effect imo, since you'll still need the same amount of wpf to get the accuracy and speed you had before the patch. In other words: needing less minimum wpf is a stupid "buff" when you'll still need the same amount of wpf as before to maintain your effiency with a weapon.
Unless I'm horribly mistaken in regards to how the mechanics work then the PT/PD wpf penalty takes off of your wpf, it's not just a minimum requirement, so reducing the penalty by 2 would count as giving you 14 more wpf if you have 7 pt.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 05:53:02 am »
+2
Having 7 PT doesn't make you a hybrid IMO...it's more of a "pure" build.  Maybe throwing lances are for pure throwers?  It would make sense that the highest tier of any weapon would be for "dedicated" builds.  I don't see a problem.  Use javelins.  And you could still use Falka's build and have throwing lances. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 06:42:19 am »
Unless I'm horribly mistaken in regards to how the mechanics work then the PT/PD wpf penalty takes off of your wpf, it's not just a minimum requirement, so reducing the penalty by 2 would count as giving you 14 more wpf if you have 7 pt.
Indeed, so unless he changed his armor, he actually has higher effective throwing wpf than pre-patch. Furthermore, 2 accuracy and speed is worth a lot more than a mere 5 wpf.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 06:48:21 am »

Before 13*PT it substracted from your wpf. Now 11*PT.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 07:26:05 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)

I feel like this is pretty acceptable for a level 31 build. I'll  never be able to live out my dream of a shield/throwing/pole hoplite with throwing lances though. Unless I respec my main.

edit: Like horse archery, builds below 31 will always be lacking something.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far