Author Topic: Thoughts on Religion and the State  (Read 23623 times)

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Religion and the State
« Reply #315 on: December 07, 2013, 12:48:14 pm »
Islam is the one true religion.

how can it be the one true when its the youngest?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 07, 2013, 01:11:47 pm »
how can it be the one true when its the youngest?

It's funny because if you ask some muslims, Islam must be the one true religion precisely because it is the youngest, disregarding the fact that countless other religions appeared after 632.

Offline BASNAK

• King
  • Renown: 1349
  • Infamy: 170
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MolonLave_Garlic
« Reply #317 on: December 07, 2013, 01:15:32 pm »
It's funny because if you ask some muslims, Islam must be the one true religion precisely because it is the youngest, disregarding the fact that countless other religions appeared after 632.

Wat. Muslims believe that there were prophets before Muhammed. Like Jesus, Abraham, Moses etc. They consider it being the oldest religion.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 07, 2013, 01:30:09 pm »
Wat. Muslims believe that there were prophets before Muhammed. Like Jesus, Abraham, Moses etc. They consider it being the oldest religion.

Well of course it depends on what meaning the word "religion" has for you. If you consider there can only be one and you are muslim, then Islam is the only thing that can be called a religion. That's not what I was talking about. Avoiding using the word religion, Islam is still the last main offspring of the Abrahamic mythology.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 07, 2013, 02:10:15 pm »
christianity (if you live in europe or north america) is a foundation of everyday life cos its reflected in law you follow everyday

Any examples? Neither do I see laws like the ones described in Leviticus, nor laws like the ones described by Jesus.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 07, 2013, 02:19:02 pm »
Yeah, modern day laws and morals have nothing to do with Christianity.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline KingBread

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: KingBread
« Reply #321 on: December 07, 2013, 03:13:21 pm »
Yeah, modern day laws and morals have nothing to do with Christianity.
Not sure if troll...
Any examples? Neither do I see laws like the ones described in Leviticus, nor laws like the ones described by Jesus.
I dont know mayby "dont kill" or "dont steal" and stuff it is not literally taken from bible but christian moral philosophy is what our law is based. Christian morality is REFLECTED not literally taken from bible in our law. You have thousands of diffrent robberies you can perform and many diffrent law executions for it but still in general the moral sentence behind it is "dont steal". Im not a lawyer but this is what lawyer said to me.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 07, 2013, 03:20:24 pm »
Again, that has nothing to do with Christianity. Every society needs said laws to function. Hunter gatherer tribes that have never heard of Christianity don't go around killing each other and stealing stuff... Because a community can't work like that.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 07, 2013, 03:30:40 pm »
Not sure if troll...I dont know mayby "dont kill" or "dont steal" and stuff it is not literally taken from bible but christian moral philosophy is what our law is based. Christian morality is REFLECTED not literally taken from bible in our law. You have thousands of diffrent robberies you can perform and many diffrent law executions for it but still in general the moral sentence behind it is "dont steal". Im not a lawyer but this is what lawyer said to me.

You seriously think "don't steal" and "don't kill" is an achievement of Christianity? So, before Christianity, it was totally okay to kill and steal whatever you could?

Offline KingBread

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 07, 2013, 03:48:57 pm »
I dont think you are reading what im writing or my english is so bad that my sentences are completly missing the point.
You seriously think "don't steal" and "don't kill" is an achievement of Christianity? So, before Christianity, it was totally okay to kill and steal whatever you could?
?? Achievment ?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 07, 2013, 03:50:14 pm »
I dont think you are reading what im writing or my english is so bad that my sentences are completly missing the point. ?? Achievment ?
So what is your point...?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 07, 2013, 03:57:23 pm »
+2
I dont think you are reading what im writing or my english is so bad that my sentences are completly missing the point. ?? Achievment ?

You claim our current laws and morals are influenced heavily by Christianity, yet you fail to show how. What you brought to the table so far are very generic social rules that have existed for tens of thousands of years in human tribes. Also, technically, they aren't even Christian values, because Christianity starts with Jesus Christ. Before him, it's just the general abrahamic root religion. You can't really claim the ten commandments, because they also exist in Judaism and Islam. So if you want to show Christian influence on our laws, I suggest you start with Jesus Christ. So where is the law that you have to share your stuff with those in need? Where is the law that says you have to offer your other cheek if you are slapped?

No, our laws have nothing to do with Christianity. We don't live in a Christian culture. Jesus Christ was warning against greed and corruption, yet those are the strongest driving factors in any modern society. I don't think he would be very proud of what is claimed in his name.

We live in a Mammonist world. It is not far from the very opposite of what Jesus Christ was preaching in the bible.

Offline KingBread

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 07, 2013, 04:12:26 pm »
I said it is reflected.

3. To make apparent; express or manifest

And you take it literally like if christians achieve sth. I think it other way around Jesus and stuff are/were vessels of human morality through years and therefore this moral patterns have been reflected in law later on. Thats why mammonists described by you have negative moral assesment. And furthermore christian morality is not even set by bible but by many thinkers after that.

I feel misunderstood cos you behave as if i say that law is literally based on religion.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 07, 2013, 04:20:11 pm »
No, the values aren't reflected in modern law. Laws would be the same even if Christianity had never existed.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 07, 2013, 04:25:48 pm »
+1
You are misunderstood because you only make claims without providing either examples or steps that could be reproduced to arrive at the same conclusions.