Author Topic: Global warming, more like global hoax.  (Read 8916 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Global warming, more like global hoax.
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2013, 07:53:59 pm »
If there is one thing that pisses me off it's the preserve the rainforest bullshit, Eurasians wiped out the vast majority of their forests and built shit there, then go off crying how the people in Brazil shouldn't be allowed to do the same, if you want forests, go get rid of some of your cities or farms and plant shit there.
Well, of course, the whole "rainforests are the lungs of earth" thing has been disproven also.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2013, 08:17:31 pm »
+2
If there is one thing that pisses me off it's the preserve the rainforest bullshit, Eurasians wiped out the vast majority of their forests and built shit there, then go off crying how the people in Brazil shouldn't be allowed to do the same, if you want forests, go get rid of some of your cities or farms and plant shit there.

Just like the Europeans and American's calling on other countries to stop "slavery" and having second class citizens.

It was like my Doctor who smokes and suggested that I should quit smoking or I might get lung cancer.

How dare they! Those hypocrites!

I get what you're saying, and generally agree.  But using the "but they did it first!" is a pretty terrible excuse for continuing something that is generally seen as negative.  Especially considering that none of us were alive 100 or 200 or 300 years ago.

That being said, these people are clearing the rainforests because it's how they are able to make money and food.  Kind of hard for us to sit back in our computer chairs eating cheetos and tell these 3rd world people to stop making money.  Sure we should try to stop clearing rainforests, but there needs to be viable alternatives for the people doing it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2013, 09:26:43 pm »
+1
It was like my Doctor who smokes and suggested that I should quit smoking or I might get lung cancer.
Tu quoque in response to criticism

The first common variant of the fallacy is the "you criticize X, but you use something related to X" argument:

Bob: "Smoking and alcoholism are well-known risk factors for cancer."
Alice: "But you yourself smoke and drink a lot! You're wrong!"

The fact that Bob is a smoker and drinker doesn't mean that he is wrong about the effects of those habits. Still confused? A better rebuttal would be to accept the premise that alcohol and smoking really are cancer risks, but then ask why Bob continues to do them. Perhaps Bob knows full well about the dangers of such addictions, but he may or may not be a Hedonist with no sense of self preservation, or it's just because he cannot or is yet to break from his very own addiction, hence why he continues to do it. Or because he is consciously or unconsciously suicidal, which makes his self-harm a logical consequence.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2013, 09:52:32 pm »
+1
Just like the Europeans and American's calling on other countries to stop "slavery" and having second class citizens.

How dare they! Those hypocrites!

I get what you're saying, and generally agree.  But using the "but they did it first!" is a pretty terrible excuse for continuing something that is generally seen as negative.  Especially considering that none of us were alive 100 or 200 or 300 years ago.

That being said, these people are clearing the rainforests because it's how they are able to make money and food.  Kind of hard for us to sit back in our computer chairs eating cheetos and tell these 3rd world people to stop making money.  Sure we should try to stop clearing rainforests, but there needs to be viable alternatives for the people doing it.
It's not like slavery and second class citizens, it'd be like slavery if we kept the slaves we have, and the children they breed, as slaves but just stop importing new ones and then demanded that no one ever imported slaves in other countries, fact of the matter is that our ancestors got rid of our forests, now we're being massive dicks to some people who want to get rid of some of theirs, the "cause" of saving the rainforest can only be anything but bullshit when Eurasians/North Americans start planting trees in the large farm spaces or cities we have.

"Hey, stop tearing down your trees, trees are important."
"But you tore down all your trees, if you cared about trees you could plant some yourself and deal with the various shitty living conditions they bring to you."
"No, stop tearing down your trees, we tore down our trees back before we started caring about them, and for some reason we deserve shitloads of land cleared of trees while you must be 100% rainforest."

Also there are no viable alternatives to clearing some land, people need space, it is however still possible to reforest some of Eurasia and North America so that there won't be insanely serious consequences when 50-90% of the rainforest has been replaced with farms and cities.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:55:53 pm by Zlisch_The_Butcher »
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2013, 10:37:13 pm »
Lots of 'murica is still forested (well parts that natively were).  Even plains are being forested in a lot of areas due to the benefit it provides to combating soil erosion. 

But I do understand your point and generally agree.   No need to resort to -1'ing  :cry:
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2013, 11:36:13 pm »
Lots of 'murica is still forested (well parts that natively were).  Even plains are being forested in a lot of areas due to the benefit it provides to combating soil erosion. 

But I do understand your point and generally agree.   No need to resort to -1'ing  :cry:
Come on mate, gotsta keep my title as 1# post voter.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2013, 11:39:27 pm »
+2
Lots of environmental scientists report that climate change caused by human impact is a real thing. I choose to believe them.

I'm not saying that my opinion is invalid due to a lack of education in their specialty, just that if a majority of them agree on something, it's probably got more truth in it than the reverse.

A lot of the arguments against climate change are, well, similar to the arguments for Abrahamic creationism and other science vs. religion discussions.

It's like us disbelieving our best duelists about how the combat mechanics of cRPG work, except in real life there are no devs to back up or discount your views. All we have are the estimates of people who care about a subject more than everyone else, and if they agree on something, I feel like they're more likely to be right about it than any other group of people.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2013, 11:57:36 pm »

It's like us disbelieving our best duelists about how the combat mechanics of cRPG work
And this might not be such a good idea for the same reason: bias. You might want to take what the two-hander duelists say about two handed weapons with a grain of salt.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2013, 01:01:20 am »
Scientists also have their own agendas. If they come up with something 'relevant' that will spark a lot of attention and is to do with the current issue then they will likely get more funding, advance their own career ect.

So just because scientists agree, doesn't mean they aren't bullshitting or stretching the truth to some extent to suit their own needs in life.

Offline Hoppster

• Count
  • Renown: 210
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Billy_Bad_Ass
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2013, 02:11:54 am »
+1

i dont listen to anything the daily mail says.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2013, 02:13:58 am »
And this might not be such a good idea for the same reason: bias. You might want to take what the two-hander duelists say about two handed weapons with a grain of salt.

Best duelists use all melee weapons. Just sayin'.

There is bias in everything, but if I had to choose between bias that scientists have and bias that the people who actively attack climate change have, I'm more inclined to believe the scientists. I'm not sure who disbelieves climate change in your country, but the same people who do that here tend to believe a number of other things I do not. So it's easy for me to believe the opposing group more easily.

Call it my bias.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2013, 02:40:07 am »
Best duelists use all melee weapons. Just sayin'.
Uh.. there's no rule woven into the fabric of the M&Bverse that says "you must use all melee weapons to be the best duelist."
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline polkafranzi

• Marshall
  • Renown: 814
  • Infamy: 276
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • pronouns: Nick/her
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fun clan - Burg Krems, join with main or alt!
  • Game nicks: Adelheid, Wulfing, Hildebrand, Vulferam, Sepp, Pippa (r.i.p), Minjy
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2013, 02:55:37 am »
you're all cunts.

nuff' said.

2024: selling my thirty odd +3 items for rl money, don't think i need them anymore tbh. pm me

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2013, 02:56:46 am »
Uh.. there's no rule woven into the fabric of the M&Bverse that says "you must use all melee weapons to be the best duelist."

It just so happens that the NA ones do.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2013, 03:26:10 am »
It just so happens that the NA ones do.
NA =/= the whole world.

Shocking, I know.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.