• Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
Re: CTRL-J
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 06:07:07 am »
+1
Most of the time when someone rears their horse it is a death sentence. Unless of course the enemies are stupid or there are no enemies around. This is like saying why should kicking be in the game, no one would do that and it probably wouldn't make someone stagger back.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 11:53:34 am »
This is like saying why should kicking be in the game, no one would do that and it probably wouldn't make someone stagger back.
Except it's not as kicking has clear intended functionality, it allows you to punish people that stick close to you with very fast weapons and to be able to hurt turtles who stand in a corner or are otherwise very hard to hit with regular attacking.

Offline JackieChan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 118
  • Crève salope / Master of left spam
    • View Profile
    • CRPG PATCH!
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_BD_JackieChan
  • IRC nick: JackieChan
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 12:21:29 pm »
+4
This sounds more like a rage post that anything else. Did you just get killed because of it?

Should be moved to the The Chamber of Tears.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Wهاهاهاهاهاهاهاهاهاه

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 12:24:25 pm »
It did happen when I made the post but it didn't really hurt me at all, but it reminded me of making this thread which I have been intending to do.

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 12:32:59 pm »
+2
 :rolleyes:

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 06:56:08 pm »
+2
This sounds more like a rage post that anything else. Did you just get killed because of it?

Should be moved to the The Chamber of Tears Teeth.
FTFY and +1
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 07:16:58 pm »
+1
Rear horse was in native as well I believe.  CTRL+J sucked so it was never used.  With WSE2 we can map it to whatever.  I used to be in the habit of jumping whenever I was about to run a teammate over, now I'm starting to get used to pressing my "rear horse" button.

I have never seen a friendly cav do that.  :|

It's very difficult to overcome the urge to jump instead of rear (due to having to press ctrl+j for years), but when I remember to do it, I'm thankful.  Because instead of jumping down a hill, I will rear the horse and not take damage to horse, or to teammate.

Also being able to bind a key to dismount has saved me so many headaches as well.  I used to always pick up items on the ground instead of dismounting.

I think you should also be able to dismount while moving (a la GTA style jumping out of moving vehicles).  You should take damage depending on how fast the horse is moving, and obviously should "roll" or otherwise fall to the ground (or stumble if at really low speeds). 

About "insta" stopping, your horse rears and you are stuck on the horse for a good full 2 seconds before can dismount when you rear.  It's a pretty pointless act to do for any sort of offensive attack.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 07:19:57 pm »
Because it is desirable for gameplay to have things behave unrealistically like that. Is it desirable for gameplay to allow players to stop their horse instantly when moving at full speed? I don't think it is.

rearing a horse from the side is also very unrealistic, fix that polearms can only rear from full frontal stabs, and im fine with the ctrl j tweak

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 07:22:15 pm »
I think it's a good and needed feature for the game balance. If they ever add collision damage for horses - that would be even more necessary. If you speak about impossibility to rear a horse like that - why don't you think that rearing a plated charger roaming on full speed while glancing from a bad angle is any kind of realistic? I would start changing rearing mechanics from that point so you need to deal some certain damage to stop the horse (so you can actually glance without rearing it like you do against players).

If you really find it that necessary - I can suggest something like a skill check: i.e. if you have (riding requirement + 1) or more - you can rear a horse, it would benefit dedicated riders with high riding amounts. But then again - it would only benefit horse ranged, who would need that?

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 09:49:05 pm »
+1
Rearing has one niche function also.

If you get slowed for any reason, hittin rubble, glancing a tree or wall, etc...  and see that pesky crossbower or thrower lining up the killshot.

You can rear the horse at the right moment. And the horse will tank the dmg or die instead of you getting hit.

Protip! :D

Offline Suchechka

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: guess
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 03:30:38 pm »
+1
Teeth, BULLSHIT!