Author Topic: Help: how bad is my first build?  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Adrian_Cyrius

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Patcha
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Italy
  • Game nicks: Adrian_Cyrius
Help: how bad is my first build?
« on: May 14, 2011, 06:33:51 pm »
Hi all, I started playing the game 4 days ago, and now I'm level 27.
I have some difficulties sometimes, expecially related to attack speed. I know most of problems are just related to my low experience and "players" (mine) slowness and low reflexes! ^_^

But just to be totally sure, I want to show you my build, to know if it can give me some "limts" too, or at the end is just totally about me...
can you help me? :) Ok...

My build is:
Attributes
Strength   15   
Agility   18   
Weapon proficiency
One Handed   151   
Two Handed   1   
Polearm   1   
Archery   1   
Crossbow   1   
Throwing   1   
Skills
Iron Flesh   5   
Power Strike   5
Shield   5   
Athletics   5   
Riding   0   
Horse Archery   0
Power Draw   0
Power Throw   0
Weapon Master   6
Next level I foresee 1 more to shield and strength, and keep raising one handed.

I use sword and shield, and I use equipment based on actual multiplier, to be sure to keep save money, and up to now I used two shields, 'cause I'm totally unable to stop attacks by blocking with weapon. I also carry an axe, if I'm 1vs1 with another shielded (and not too long weapon) enemy, to break his shield faster.
(Note: no ranged and no riding.)

My equipment on 1x and 2x multiplier I use:
head - Steppe Cap
body - Light Leather
hand - Leather Gloves
legs - Hunter Boots
slot1 - Horseman's Heater Shield
slot2 - Scimitar
slot3 - Hand Axe
slot4 - Horseman's Heater Shield

On 3x and 4x multiplier I use:
head - Barbutte
body - Druzhima Mail Shirt
hand - Mail Mittens
slot1 - Knightly Kite Shield
The rest is the same than before...

On 5x I use:
body - Coat of Plates

Lately I bought:
- Long Espada Eslavona: I wanna try it on 5x. It's a bit slower, so I'm not sure I'll get accustomed soon... seeing also I feel lack of speed like my main problem... but I'm thinking to "inherit" it twice on next retires, so it would be fast 100 (Scimitar is 101, by default)... so maybe I would get accustomed with time.
- Steel Buckler: somebody told me with 5 (going to 6) points on shield, this small buckler is enough to defend me, in addition it would almost never break. So the plan is to use it and no other shield (so slot 4 would be empty)... I'm a bit thoughtful anyway: my current shields are fast 100, while buckles is fast 99... but I wanna try it.

Anyway, as said, I still have to try this two lats equipments...

Do you see something very wrong in this build?
Thank you all!

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Re: Help: how bad is my first build?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 06:51:29 pm »
Pretty solid build.  You might want to try using a pick/hammer class of weapons because of your lower powerstrike instead of the 1her swords.  (Generally I go 21/15 or 24/12 or 27/9 even if I am using a 1her sword).  Also, don't worry so much about switching between items based on multiplier.  Use the druzhina mail shirt and mail mittens (maybe a slightly cheaper helmet) all the time and on average you should steadily accumulate money, saves a lot on the hassle of constantly switching equipment.  As you have money saved up just use your most expensive armor whenever you feel like it or it fits the battlefield situation.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 08:03:17 pm »
you have plenty of WPP but if you stack up the heavy armor you're really killing your swing speed, being a lower str character.

I would stick with medium armor.

Remember, helmet weight x3 = actual weight.  How often do you really get headshot?

Like Kesh said, try out either a pierce of bludgeon weapon.  Even though they're damage is lower, they'll end up doing more damage to heavily armored opponents
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:05:09 pm by Digglez »

Offline Adrian_Cyrius

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
  • Patcha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 08:04:18 pm »
(Generally I go 21/15 or 24/12 or 27/9 even if I am using a 1her sword).
Are you talking about "Strength/Agility"? So I put too much agility for sword?
Well I care to be "sword and shield" 'cause of a sort of affection to this kind of character! ^_^
(I always play like that in RPG games.)

Well I wanted also to ask about this, but forgot. ^_^
I put enought athletics 'cause somebody told me it faster your weapon. But I'm not so sure. Maybe it's only for bowmen? Or he was right? Does athletics faster my sword?

That's why I put lot of points in Agility, 'cause it let me raise interesting skills, like athletics (if it works like said), shield and weapon master (to raise one handed much more).

So the question is: what I should do differently to have a good "sword and shield" character after retirement?

EDIT:
Remember, helmet weight x3 = actual weight.  How often do you really get headshot?

WOW! I didnt' know about this!
Well actually I noticed also not so much headshots... infact I used no helmet at all for some periods.
But at the end I decided to buy a new one when I had enough "lot of" money...

I don't dislike the idea to go around without helmet... so you think I should renounce to it?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:05:56 pm by Adrian_Cyrius »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 08:10:15 pm »
I didnt say completely go without helm, just dont wear something so heavy.  A medium armor helm is going to give you more protection for the weight and prevent 1 shots.

Use medium-light armor and faster speed weapons.  This will give you the small swing speed advantage you need to get the drop on people.

Try out Steel Pick, Winged Mace, or any sword over 102 speed.  My guildmate that is hoplite shield/1h uses a Niuweidao to very good results.

Offline Adrian_Cyrius

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
  • Patcha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:16:44 pm »
I didnt say completely go without helm, just dont wear something so heavy.  A medium armor helm is going to give you more protection for the weight and prevent 1 shots.

Use medium-light armor and faster speed weapons.  This will give you the small swing speed advantage you need to get the drop on people.

Try out Steel Pick, Winged Mace, or any sword over 102 speed.  My guildmate that is hoplite shield/1h uses a Niuweidao to very good results.

Uhm... well... I noticed all helmets before Barbutte are ugly... :D
Maybe I should search better then. ^_^
Around how much armor and weight should I look about?

Druzhima Mail Shirt is enough "middle" armor?

I chose Scimitar 'cause I thought it as the best length/speed/damage/cost choice...
It is fast 101 (and long 97).
If I renounce to "inheredit" Long Espada Eslavona (which is fast 99 and would be 100), I can make Scimitar became 102 on second retirement.

What do you think about?

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 08:51:15 pm »
Scimitar has neither the weight nor damage to really threaten heavily armored enemies.  Light swords like that will glance off alot.

Either pick a HIGH damage cut weapon or try out bludgeon/pierce weapons.

If you're fine with sticking to killing peasants, archers and lightly armored ppl thats fine.  As a 1h+shielder myself, its the armored guys that normally kill me, so I want stuff to counter them.  I started carrying flanged mace or iberian and its doing wonders on armored folks.

Since carrying a shield already slows you down quite a bit, I would try to stick to under 15 lb of armor.  Also, you will move faster if you stealth your shield and weapon, so make sure you know your stealth key!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:54:48 pm by Digglez »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 09:23:31 pm »
Athletics is useful especailly for shorter 1hers like the pick/hammers, but it doesn't increase swing speed, only helps with good footwork.  If you want to use a really lightweight 1handed sword like scimitar (not a bad choice) then focus on a strength build with at least 21 strength and 7 powerstrike or you will bounce off people's medium to heavy armor a lot.

Offline Adrian_Cyrius

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
  • Patcha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 12:07:55 am »
Scimitar has neither the weight nor damage to really threaten heavily armored enemies.  Light swords like that will glance off alot.

Either pick a HIGH damage cut weapon or try out bludgeon/pierce weapons.
How weight on weapons reflect on efficiency?

Scimitar has 97 length, 1.3 weight, 101 speed, 30 cut
Niuweidao has 88 length, 1.5 weight, 101 speed, 33 cut
Italian Falchion has 70 length, 1 weight, 101 speed, 34 cut

Those are the most "cutting damange" swords with speed at least 101.
But the last two are far away shorter than Scimitar... lenght is not so important?

at least 21 strength and 7 powerstrike or you will bounce off people's medium to heavy armor a lot.

Uhm... next "generation" I'll do 21/15 then? So I can have 5 on shields, which lets me use buckler, which is way a lot lighter than usual shields.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:09:14 am by Adrian_Cyrius »

Offline RamsesXXIIX

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Yes, I prey on the weak.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ramses
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 01:09:34 am »
I use sword and shield, and I use equipment based on actual multiplier, to be sure to keep save money, and up to now I used two shields, 'cause I'm totally unable to stop attacks by blocking with weapon. I also carry an axe, if I'm 1vs1 with another shielded (and not too long weapon) enemy, to break his shield faster.
(Note: no ranged and no riding.)

Don't use 2 shields, it slows you down way too much.

Other than that, i think your build looks fine. You might want to look at your equipment though, but the other guys got that covered :)

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 01:42:39 am »
Yeah a second shield slows you down by an enormous amount.  Especially your acceleration.  Probably the worst thing you can do to your mobility.   

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 01:45:04 am »
How weight on weapons reflect on efficiency?

Scimitar has 97 length, 1.3 weight, 101 speed, 30 cut
Niuweidao has 88 length, 1.5 weight, 101 speed, 33 cut
Italian Falchion has 70 length, 1 weight, 101 speed, 34 cut

Those are the most "cutting damange" swords with speed at least 101.
But the last two are far away shorter than Scimitar... lenght is not so important?

Uhm... next "generation" I'll do 21/15 then? So I can have 5 on shields, which lets me use buckler, which is way a lot lighter than usual shields.

Length is important as you need more athletics and footwork the shorter your weapon.  Of those 3 the scimitar is the best way to go if you plan on using a sword.  If you are going to use  aweapon as short as an italian falchion, you are better off using hammer/pick of the same length but far more damage agaisnt armored opponents.

Offline Adrian_Cyrius

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
  • Patcha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 04:19:49 am »
Yeah a second shield slows you down by an enormous amount.  Especially your acceleration.  Probably the worst thing you can do to your mobility.   
Don't use 2 shields, it slows you down way too much.

Other than that, i think your build looks fine. You might want to look at your equipment though, but the other guys got that covered :)
Yep, I noticed today and renounced. I tried buckler... sometimes it seems great, sometimes not. Anyway versus Bardiche and Axes it lasts few like every other shield... I also felt to get hurt by much more arrows, even if somebody told me I shouldn't with 6 on shields...

Anyway today even I used an even lighter armor (Sarranid Leather, 4.5 instead 11), lighter helmet (Nordic Leather Helmet, 0.5 instead 3), no second shield (5 weight), but still some skilled people can attack me twice after I block them...
They said it's 'cause of experience and the way they move their PG, but I can't understand how possible!
With my speed (I can walk faster than crosbowmen often) I would expect I can counter-attack after blocking!

Offline Dumertone

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: iFail
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 09:01:03 am »
With my speed (I can walk faster than crosbowmen often) I would expect I can counter-attack after blocking!

It really comes with the in-game experience (not only cRPG)

Maybe you're getting into situations like this :
Let's assume you and your opponent started an attack at the same second.

YOU: Swing to the right while standing still (or shifting right yourself)
HE:   Swings to the left while approaching your left side

In this situation even if you both have same weapons and started swings in one moment, his will land faster.

Even though I imagine these mechanics perfectly, I often forget about this in the battle rage and get in trouble.

Good luck!

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 12:00:29 pm »
Yep, I noticed today and renounced. I tried buckler... sometimes it seems great, sometimes not. Anyway versus Bardiche and Axes it lasts few like every other shield... I also felt to get hurt by much more arrows, even if somebody told me I shouldn't with 6 on shields...

Anyway today even I used an even lighter armor (Sarranid Leather, 4.5 instead 11), lighter helmet (Nordic Leather Helmet, 0.5 instead 3), no second shield (5 weight), but still some skilled people can attack me twice after I block them...
They said it's 'cause of experience and the way they move their PG, but I can't understand how possible!

Make sure you get in close and turn into your attack against the 2h spammers.  So if you do a left attack turn right so it hits a little sooner.  Left attacks seem to be fastest and usually hit high so I tend to favor those against people who I know suck at blocking. 

You should probably use better stuff even on x1.  I use 20-25k worth of gear at the cheapest and you could probably go up to 30k and still make a good bit of money.  Stronger armor will allow you to not get one shotted all the time.  I'd also recommend using the long espada more because even though the speed is slower it has a longer range, which makes the swing connect faster and gives you more room for error.  As a bonus, poking people in the face with it is extremely satisfying.  I've been using it a lot lately and I'm always surprised at how much more space I have to work with compared to the Iberian mace I usually use. 

I only started playing somewhat recently and the two things that helped me most were turning into my attacks, going for headshots when possible, and getting some real armor.  I use the first kuyak as a hybrid but since you're a full blown melee it might be worth it to go for banded armor or even a coat of plates.  If you need a shield check out the elite cavalry shield or huscarl.