Author Topic: Is thowing lance hoplite viable?  (Read 660 times)

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
Is thowing lance hoplite viable?
« on: October 21, 2013, 08:41:29 pm »

I kind of cant decide whenever to use shortened spear and throwing spears, or three throwing lances and shield.

Does anyone use this build?
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
Re: Is thowing lance hoplite viable?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 08:46:17 pm »
I use it, and apart to get used to the time it takes from shieldblocking->throwing it's doable.
Throwing lances are very nice in melee mode. Btw I prefer them without a shield because I'm a bad hoplite.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 08:47:25 pm »
+12
(click to show/hide)

Glorious

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 08:48:33 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Glorious

Awesome!

Thanks, I think it will be worth it after all...
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.

Offline Warborn304

• Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 139
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Saint_George_Zimmerman
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 08:54:51 pm »
+3
My opinions:

If you have the right play style you can make it viable. I'd probably do like a 21/15 ordeal

120 weapon length isn't really hoplite zone compared, to 160ish of ashwood.

You'll also have to really tweak the wpf distributions to what YOU like.

I personally enjoy the throwing lance in melee (without shield).

Overall, I think if you are looking to do this STF first so you can get a feel for it.
You'll probably end up being more of a shielder with throwing, not glorious hoplite overlord.
It'll be more difficult to get the hoplite feel and assists with such a short length.

Throwing lance kills are so fucking hilarious though, best of luck.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 08:57:35 pm »
My opinions:

If you have the right play style you can make it viable. I'd probably do like a 21/15 ordeal

120 weapon length isn't really hoplite zone compared, to 160ish of ashwood.

You'll also have to really tweak the wpf distributions to what YOU like.

I personally enjoy the throwing lance in melee (without shield).

Overall, I think if you are looking to do this STF first so you can get a feel for it.
You'll probably end up being more of a shielder with throwing, not glorious hoplite overlord.
It'll be more difficult to get the hoplite feel and assists with such a short length.

Throwing lance kills are so fucking hilarious though, best of luck.

Thanks.

I dont want my weapon too long, because that usually means you have to pay with speed for that.

Methinks 120 would be enough to have both decent range and speed.

King Leonidas FTW.

Offline Warborn304

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 09:02:51 pm »
Thanks.

I dont want my weapon too long, because that usually means you have to pay with speed for that.

Methinks 120 would be enough to have both decent range and speed.

King Leonidas FTW.

I'd give it 120/100 split wpf to start, then tweak it from there. Also realize that with heavier armor the WPF reduction of the weight will not let you pick up your lances once thrown. You may want to consider 12 weight or lower (assuming that's the wpf reduction cap until you start getting penalties >12). That's probably why in the video everyone was wearing those byrnja's...

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 09:06:56 pm »
I'd give it 120/100 split wpf to start, then tweak it from there. Also realize that with heavier armor the WPF reduction of the weight will not let you pick up your lances once thrown. You may want to consider 12 weight or lower (assuming that's the wpf reduction cap until you start getting penalties >12). That's probably why in the video everyone was wearing those byrnja's...

I use peltasos [or what is it named] armor and no helmet [for now], so I think that encumberance wont be a problem.

There are unfortunatelly arent leather boxers with cape as an armor [yet, ill post a suggestion], so I guess ill keep that for now.

Is there any way or trick to make my stabs faster please? shortened spear and over 100wpf and I still feel kinda slow...

Offline Warborn304

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 09:14:27 pm »
I use peltasos [or what is it named] armor and no helmet [for now], so I think that encumberance wont be a problem.

There are unfortunatelly arent leather boxers with cape as an armor [yet, ill post a suggestion], so I guess ill keep that for now.

Is there any way or trick to make my stabs faster please? shortened spear and over 100wpf and I still feel kinda slow...

The only way to increase the stab speed that I'm aware of is through raw AGI or WPF. So I'm not really sure how to achieve that with that build since you'll have to have such a high STR base in order to even equip the lances...

So again you might want to play STF and mess around with the WPF.
Although I believe that I've read that the WPF does miniscule speed reductions, and that most of the speed is based on animations... Who the fuck knows, I still prefer 170 wpf over 125.... just food for thought.

Well timed stabs are probably better than a quantity of stabs, just like a well timed thrown is better than throwing large stacks. I only carry 1 throwing lance, but I know if I hit someone with it I'll 1 shot them 80-90+% of the time...