Author Topic: What do you think counters ranged?  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think counters ranged?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 05:14:58 am »
Other ranged
Lots of shielders
Winning a decisive melee fight that makes the teams lop sided
Camping

They can be countered, its just they have a negative effect on the overall fun of the core gameplay when there are too many. Even ranged complain about ranged

So many choose to play ranged because you don't always have to fight other players in a pvp situation to do some damage. You can play passively and often in safety, and you can still hold your own if you are forced into melee (especially with new 1 handers). Risk versus reward is very very bad (injustice etc)
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 05:45:42 am »
+1
What counters ranged? More ranged...that's pretty much it.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 05:58:14 am »
+1
I hardly ever see cav getting dehorsed by ranged survive their ground napping.

I've done it many times in only 56 body armor (but 25 strength and 8IF). You have to be smart about where and how you get dehorsed when taking a risk. Definitely a 'no' in front of arbalests and throwers, for instance.

Offline Legs

• Marshall
  • Renown: 819
  • Infamy: 88
  • cRPG Player
  • Loco Motive
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arms, Legs
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 06:29:30 am »
The best way to kill ranged is with an armored horse and a shield. You're tanky enough to just eat their arrows, they can't outrun you, and even if you miss your actual attack they're squishy enough to be really injured by a good bump.

If you're too poor or if you don't want to be "that guy" bumpslashing on a heavy horse, you could try beating them at their own game. Get a crossbow and counter-snipe. Other ranged tend to be easy to hit since they stand still to shoot and don't carry shields. Of course depending on how sneaky you are and what kind of cover you're using they could try to surround you and shoot while you're reloading.

A third option is to use a high-agility build. Archers tend to get tunnel vision, zooming in and focusing on their target, and with a sneak attack you can often kill them with the first 1-2 hits before they can even switch weapons. You also approach more quickly with more athletics, giving them less time to shoot or even to notice you. It makes dodging much easier and prevents them from kiting or just straight up running away from you. The downside is that you'll still probably get noticed/kited/shot up if you try to approach a group of archers like this.

Some people might be tempted to try using heavier armor or getting a shield but these are poor choices imo since they just slow you down and make you easier to hit.
Legs are used for standing, walking, jumping, running, kicking, and similar activities.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 10:27:29 am »
+6
Shield and throwing weapons counters just about anything on the battlefield, pikemen, archers, cav and 2h/polearm heroes  :lol: :lol:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1202
  • Infamy: 2108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 12:52:33 pm »
+1
That's correct Tzar. But way too many shielders are scared of everything, even ranged. For example, I'm easy prey for any shielder if they keep spamming me at point black range. Sadly for them, most are very cautious and try range game and thus die. Same goes for shielder vs ranged, many smart-asses try to kill little buggers from a distance. First bump, then slash, golden rule of fighting ranged when you're carrying a shield.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 12:58:48 pm »
+5
A heavy lance that can actually kill with a blow to an unarmored head,  mounted on a ninja cav.  good ol times :'/
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 01:13:12 pm »
+1
High speed ultra light armour shielders.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 01:15:44 pm »
to be honest i rarely ever see ranged as a threat; they're more like sheep to be sheperded, or more frequently, free kills. This could have something to do with me being an agi shield build.

Even so, the way cRPG is balanced, I would rather have 5 heavily armoured noob cav on cataphracts with arabian cavalry swords; or 5 noobs in heraldric transitional with 2h / polearms, on my team than 5 archers.
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 01:17:33 pm »
+7
il just sneak in here and say ranged needs stagger atleast halfed. this is not rufio posting, this is someone else who never lobbyd against ranged,just borrowing his account.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 01:42:31 pm »
il just sneak in here and say ranged needs stagger atleast halfed. this is not rufio posting, this is someone else who never lobbyd against ranged,just borrowing his account.
I agree with this.

Offline Sharpe

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • I like Sheep.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wales
  • Game nicks: Sharpe, Llewllyn
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 01:54:30 pm »
+1
People on forums , saying nerf ranged are a good counter
Then in game it goes
Ninjas
Shielders
Cavalry
Other Ranged

“I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2013, 02:01:52 pm »
Other ranged, if the usual classes can't seem to get organized.

But quality of ranged rather than quantity. Ballance the game in a way that the most efficient shooters are the ones who also fight in melee. Thus the large numbers of light archers are gone, as they wont be able to play properly anymore.

Bring on the hate.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2013, 02:11:38 pm »
+1
First of all, the biggest counter to the class x is always class x.

You need infantry to stop infantry
You need ranged power to combat ranged power
You need a unit with high mobility to match the enemies' high mobility units

From a strategical point of view, if you're lacking any type of unit in your team, you will always be in a trouble; in most circumstances at least.

That doesn't mean, however; there are no counters to each class. Like:
- shields
- throwing weapons
- yet better, throwing weapons and shields
- cavalry, to prevent them from kiting
- killing the enemy main force, in other words infantry before the archers can do enough damage to your team; as the ranged damage/time ratio is no match for melee damage/time ratio.
- and most importantly, carrying the melee battle to them; high agility infantry excel better in this
- another reliable ranged fire, as it has been already said. And no, throwing is not considered as a "reliable" source of ranged fire in my book. Less ammo, low accuracy, short attack range makes throwing to fulfill a different role, more like skirmishing. (I don't mean any disrespect to throwing weapons. They are very reliable for what they are supposed to be)
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2013, 02:33:45 pm »
+1
Tankcav is the most solid offensive. Ive mostly played an average shielderbuild for quite some time now. 2 or more shielders moving with caution in a way that the rangedgroup cant flank em is the most effective. I occasionally charge em with caution solo. If they cant flank you, they have nothing, so charging with caution in a way that the rangedblob wont encircle you is the most solid way. Occasionally I take too long with this and the assisting gankinfantry arrive and screw me and occasionally I murder an entire towerfull of em at once. Bit of luck is in play here aswell.