Poll

Would you like to see this implemented?

Yes, a commander system is worth a try.
158 (79%)
No
42 (21%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Commander Chat for cRPG - Poll inside.  (Read 6471 times)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Re: Commander Chat for cRPG - Poll inside.
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2013, 04:15:53 pm »
The only thing I could do is some sort of whitelist for commanders that is checked on the poll request.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2013, 04:40:13 pm »
+2
Told you you should've made  the text orange, then it'd work.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2013, 04:51:16 pm »
+2
I have to admit I kinda liked the first impressions

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • Renown: 208
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vermilion
  • IRC nick: Vermilion
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2013, 05:12:32 pm »
There's no way to hide it. Even muting the player, it still appears on my screen.
**Due to the extra tag [COMMANDER] most of the writing is in the center of the screen, it's annoying when fighting**

Also it's on every server even strat battles :(

EDIT added section in **
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:56:01 pm by Vermilion »

Offline Chris_the_Animal

• Duke
  • Renown: 663
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Chris
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2013, 05:31:03 pm »
ive yet to see anyone listen to a commander even when they try to command. Its what happens on pub servers i guess

I had a very good experience at thursday around 10:30 am gmt+1. There were around 30 to 40 players and we had the desert map with the 2 big lakes and the one smaller one. (hope you know the map i mean :/ ) I got to be the commander and just gave some easy commands like "lets make a shieldwall on the small hill. They have more cav and archers. We cant win by soloying so stick together and take them one by one. Thats my suggestion at least guys."
The team did what I suggested and we won every single round with this tactic. So its actually very useful and when there are some people who stick to the commander the rest will follow more likely.

Damn about this Win-Loss-Ratio-Impossibruness :(
Maybe you could change it to a system, where everyone can apply to be commander. This is not shown by a poll, but by a green sign behind the name when pressing "tab". Now the players of a team can choose between those via mouseclick or selection with the "arrow keys" and the guy with the most votes after 15 secs gets the spot.
Opinions?
Bros never die!

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2013, 05:42:35 pm »
+2
Also it's on every server even strat battles :(

Its a good thing that it is also on strat battles.

When the guys in teamspeak will understand its power, they will be asked to vote on the guy currently leading on teamspeak, and he will be able to relay short information through text and continue relaying more complex messages through the microphone.

Offline Chris_the_Animal

• Duke
  • Renown: 663
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Chris
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2013, 05:44:19 pm »

When the guys in teamspeak will understand its power, they will be asked to vote on the guy currently leading on teamspeak, and he will be able to relay short information through text and continue relaying more complex messages through the microphone.

Wheres ma +10 button?
Bros never die!

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • Renown: 208
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vermilion
  • IRC nick: Vermilion
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2013, 05:46:52 pm »

Yes but anyone can apply for it and people are trolls.

Is it possible to make it so leaders automatically have it? Having a poll at the start of every strat battle will be annoying.

Just remove the poll and give the ability to use commander chat to the leaders (like battalion flags and roster control)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:50:05 pm by Vermilion »

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2013, 06:24:14 pm »
For public cRPG servers I agree we could use a form of forced natural selection so that the most able to command are those that will be elected for command most of the time.

But on strat fights it plays right in the hands of the leading faction to have the TS commander as Text commander so it will be fairly rare to have a troll come in and take charge (except in small and disorganized fights).

Basically, give this idea some time to make its mark  :P

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2013, 06:45:47 pm »
+2
thanks and great job for adding commander to the game Paul =)

but i do have an additional suggestion to make ... wouldnt it make alot of sense for commander to be auto-flagged .. like .. automatically has a flag, that people can see ? like , if they where in same battalion ... ya know
it does make alot of sense to me tbh

thanks alot anyways .. i think over time , it will find its use =)

edit: considering, that "if" in the game , batallion flags are used , there is basically always only one flag , thats being used , i suggeest , to dedicate batalion system to comander system ... just melt it together kinda
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:00:27 pm by Micah »
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2013, 11:40:52 pm »
An option to chose a commander should be disabled for the first round if it isn't already. No use applying before banner blance or applying twice because of it.

All in all nice feature, unfortunatley it does become a popularity contest sometimes, a "random" player will never get commander while a known player will and mostly use it to troll. It still might work though and it actually did on several ocassions today.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:45:56 pm by Prpavi »
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2013, 12:40:29 am »
+1
I support all useless features, if they are at least good for a laugh. Weeeee, cyan text! I suggest adding a pope as well, chatting in purple with golden stripes. He can boost moral with his inspiring speeches.

Having a commander would be even more useful though, if this mod had any strategic elements. Then the commander might actually have something to say which isn't common sense.

At the very least, it makes the mod more competitive, introducing a win/lose ratio. K:D, battle performance and duel ranking just aren't enough.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:18:12 am by War_Ferret »

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2013, 12:45:47 am »
*accidental post*

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2013, 02:12:47 pm »
I actually tried some commanding for a few days ...
Its not really easy tbh ; firstly , to become commander isnt easy , and then, to have people doing something you say is ... lets say "challenging" the least.
I mean ... im not claiming, that im the born commander or so ... i just like the idea to have some sort of higher level play in cRPG , than the dull zombie style, which i feel there is most of the time. And i dont mean that people are dump or are doing "stupid" things ... its just , that there is no overall idea to it, like a overall tactics mostly ...

But meta gaming aside ... i had particular problems with groups who... well, they did work together on theirown; yet, they mostly did something completely opposite, anti-synergetic ... like : when i was charging , they would be camping (instead of flanking) , when i was camping , they would be charging (and dieing) ... The point being is, that those groups happen to only dont feel obligated to work with the rest, but also they do not care for taking command, so the rest of the team might adapt to their doings ... props to the few guys , who actually followed me for a bit ^^~
I tried to incoorporate their tactics into mine, but that didnt really work out, because , i had to follow their uncommunicated behavior, which made me unable to give clear commands at start of the round to others ... which means , all others where doing something random -lol-

I want to emphasize, that im not qqing about teamwork here, just want to point out the core stuctural problematic about commanding and teamwork in cRPG , being, that there are groups, that do random stuff , which synergizes sometimes, but mostly it doesnt.

Deriving from my recent experiances, i like like to propose auto-flagging for commander once more. And i was considering to propose proximity gold bonus to that commander flag, but im not sure  this is the right approach, since its kinda seems a bit forced and should be solved on a social level. Again, i like to state , that i dont see commandng as an necessity in the game, just circumstantial tool, which is good to have, when its needed.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:19:53 pm by Micah »
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2013, 03:14:07 pm »
Hopefully devs are looking into it.. :)

Also remember that it takes time and some learning. In the beginnings of cRPG with the proximity based system, players learned to act like a giant blob or fish in a steam, because that was the way to harvest huge XP and gold back then.

Having the W:L ratio's visible for commanders, and having commanders that are respected and liked, developing tactics that work etc are more worked in with the players we will see gameplay changing. Not all the time of course, but sometimes.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.