Author Topic: Bannerlord & Esport  (Read 5705 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Bannerlord & Esport
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2013, 12:36:12 am »
+1
You might not think that Saddam had WMDs, but obviously the US government did. ;)
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2013, 12:40:31 am »
Indeed. Sports is a pretty wide term. You dont really need a special pinkslip from some international council of old fartbags to call something a sport.
Another Great example is motorised sports such as NASCAR.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1181
  • Infamy: 2674
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2013, 02:12:02 am »
+3
Don't get how these are considered sports, especially curling, if competetive pc games cannot be considered e-sports. :P

Funny thing is that ancient sport called wrestling was in danger to lose Olympic sport status it has since, well, ancient times. Just because it's not popular enough. Strange and turbulent times we're living in. We'll see who is right in the upcoming decades, old farts who won't change their views or youngers who like change for the sake of change. Somehow, I have a feeling that whole western world will collapse and end up replaced by eastern values. Their young might be less open minded but they for sure are more efficient at almost everything. Even this so called eSports prove that.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2013, 02:21:46 am »
Leshma, you are wrong. 100%, undeniably, quantifiably wrong.

So many fallacies in one post, dear god. Going to bed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:29:27 am by Bjord »
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2013, 02:32:14 am »
+4
Holy crap this 'debate'

Really?

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1977
  • Infamy: 2088
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2013, 03:06:44 am »
Ever since university course back in 2007 I've decided I'm done with debate (I was the loud one, my opponent was logical one, for some reason he won... that usually does not happen under real conditions, loud mouthed guys always win). Just stating an opinion, if you like it that's cool. If not, oh well... sucks to be you :P

IRL there's no point of having a debate if it's not just for show (politicians ftw), much less on internet where debate is just a waste of time. On internet it's like this for me: read something, don't like it, leave your opinion (while being polite enough to the other side) and run. Some may call it trolling, I personally don't care.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 03:10:08 am by Leshma »

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2013, 03:18:34 am »
+4
On internet it's like this for me: read something, don't like it, leave your opinion (while being polite enough to the other side) and run.

Your post history begs to differ.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 511
  • Infamy: 1624
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2013, 03:23:12 am »
You mean, my warning history? That's correct, I wasn't the most polite chap around. Trying to change that, so far doing good I think.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2013, 03:25:14 am »
+3
Ever since university course back in 2007 I've decided I'm done with debate. Just stating an opinion, if you like it that's cool. If not, oh well... sucks to be you :P

IRL there's no point of having a debate if it's not just for show (politicians ftw), much less on internet where debate is just a waste of time. On internet it's like this for me: read something, don't like it, leave your opinion (while being polite enough to the other side) and run. Some may call it trolling, I personally don't care.
Debates are better had on the internet than in person. On the internet everyone can provide sources and those sources can be immediately verified. Relevant information can be sought when necessary, terms googled, new things learned on the fly. And perhaps most importantly, both sides can take their time to formulate their argument properly and with thought, and then read the opposition's argument with equal care. Previous posts can be quoted or pointed at, and so on. The advantages of the internet in debating are many, yet many people are quick to dismiss it because it's seen as "low status." A cached thought, barely given any individual consideration, or its absurdity would quickly be revealed. My own personal favorite is the "special olympics" image which is thrown around with wild abandon by people who are about to lose an argument.

There is also the fact that one need not fear violence or other retaliation online, making it best to debate contentious issues online. Or any issue at all, for that matter: politics is the mind-killer, and arguments quickly turn heated.

If an university debate course left you scarred and traumatized, that's one thing, but attempting to justify your own personal dislike for being proven wrong by trying to make debating itself appear low status won't fly, especially with such tenuous arguments. And by tenuous arguments I mean nonexistent arguments; a tautology proves nothing.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2524
  • Infamy: 1696
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2013, 03:34:00 am »
Well, that is correct (having sources to back up the claims) but there's that one ultimate opinion of mine which says:

Science = math and everything based on math. Everything else and its sources is blah blah category, imho. History falls into that category, unfortunately, because it's hardly objective. Recent history has certain records but they can be interpreted in many ways and if you have the majority to back you up, it will become a fact... with math that's very hard to do and that's why I like it.

You seem to be into sociology a lot, and sociology is pretty much like history. Opinions, opinions, opinions... (in Steve Ballmer voice)

If an university debate course left you scarred and traumatized

There are things in life that left me traumatized, debate is not one of them.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2013, 04:32:38 am »
+2
Well, that is correct (having sources to back up the claims) but there's that one ultimate opinion of mine which says:

Science = math and everything based on math. Everything else and its sources is blah blah category, imho. History falls into that category, unfortunately, because it's hardly objective. Recent history has certain records but they can be interpreted in many ways and if you have the majority to back you up, it will become a fact... with math that's very hard to do and that's why I like it.

You seem to be into sociology a lot, and sociology is pretty much like history. Opinions, opinions, opinions... (in Steve Ballmer voice)

There are things in life that left me traumatized, debate is not one of them.
Just because your opinion is that science = math doesn't make it so. If you think that the only thing worth discussing is "1+1=2" because it's objective, then that's your loss. An extremely hypocritical point of view, of course, considering that you do throw your opinion around argumentatively a lot. It seems to me that this is little more than a defense mechanism.

http://forum.melee.org/and-all-the-other-things-floating-around-out-there/universe-expanding/msg870974/#msg870974

You were arguing with cmp there and even made a feeble attempt to provide evidence to back up your point of view. When that was refuted, you started spouting crap about "freedom of mind." Your way of thinking is no different from blind faith. Frankly, this is one of the most retarded things I've heard in a while:

Thankfully, there's that beautiful thing called freedom of mind where I can be wrong in the eyes of everyone else and right in my own eyes.

You then go on to call that a human characteristic. But it is only a human characteristic in mentally ill people when you go on believing something despite contrary evidence and despite being unable to back up your 'opinion' with anything other than "well that's just what I believe."

You seem to be into sociology a lot, and sociology is pretty much like history. Opinions, opinions, opinions...

I don't know how much sociology overlaps with what I read and know, but I'm not 'into' it. None of the big names are familiar to me, so I would assume the overlap is fairly minimal.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2013, 08:00:37 am »
+3
xant is opposite of social , yes

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2013, 08:02:07 am »

Edit : wow I just read the whole thing. This thread entirely blew my mind by the level of stupidity. I should really apply this image without any comment also because sniger said he was high which kinda explains the idiotic posts.

thanks man. i dont have very high thoughts about you either :) but i did generate a nice (drama)debate, you gotta give me that.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2013, 08:05:42 am »
+1
thanks man. i dont have very high thoughts about you either :) but i did generate a nice (drama)debate, you gotta give me that.

Good for u.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2013, 08:18:28 am »
oh dat crude flaming xD haters gonna hate

you see me rollin, u hatin