Author Topic: Strategus clarification  (Read 450 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Strategus clarification
« on: October 08, 2013, 07:50:55 pm »
OK, I've never played strat, and don't really have any interest in it (saw that it involved schlepping chipmunk pelts or whatever around a map, and said screw that). But could someone clarify a couple questions?

-Your strategus character has your cRPG main's build, but wears gear according to the strat battle you are fighting in?
-Is this why everyone that is a member of a faction active on strat is a strength build? And hybrid exclusively in xbow (if they hybrid at all)?
-If you like playing a build in cRPG that is incompatible with strat (i.e. my agility 1h/shield/thrower hybrid), you are condemned to suck in strat?
-If you are used to a particular weapon in cRPG, don't expect to get to use said weapon in any strat battles?
-Can you participate in strat battles without participating in the map portion of the game?

It seems like strat has really diluted cRPG, since many old players don't bother playing except for strat battles (better XP/minute) even though most people say they actually enjoy cRPG battle/siege more than strat. Not to mention the fact that strat pigeonholes people into certain builds, reducing diversity on the regular cRPG servers.  Would this game be better off if the devs never undertook strategus and instead focused on new items/gameplay improvements/balance/other game modes (conquest/stronghold)?

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
Re: Strategus clarification
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 07:58:32 pm »
i don't get your point, but whatever just play strat battles, the xp is awesome.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 08:18:23 pm »
i don't get your point, but whatever just play strat battles, the xp is awesome.

My lifestyle (family/job/etc) doesn't allow for fixed time obligations, which is the main reason I haven't tried strat. I like siege because I can play/leave at any time. But I was curious about the above questions because it seems to impact the other game modes, so I figured I should get informed.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 08:20:24 pm »
+2
Yes you use your char and his skills/attributes, but use the gear of the army you're fighting for.  You can also use any character now as your strategus character, but I believe there's a 7 day time delay before it switches to the character you want.

You can participate in strat battles without doing stuff on the strat map, but you need to have an avatar physically on the strat map before you can join a strat battle.

Typically (speaking from experience), strength heavy builds are better suited for fighting in strat battles (both due to sieges being the most important thing about strategus, and that most armies use very heavy armor).  But I think strength heavy builds are the best infantry builds in general for crpg.  I don't think it has much (if anything) to do with strat.  If you said archers or something like that, then yes, I'd say that's heavily influenced by strat.  But not so much any more that you can set an alt as your strat char.

I wouldn't say strat has diluted crpg at all.  I personally enjoy strat battles more than public play on NA1 (even though I like playing there too).  I think it's more fun due to having more organization in the fighting.  If someone was no longer interested in playing crpg, but still played strat battles, that's not taking one from the other...it's simply just adding one to a column.  But there are other people I know who only like playing in crpg and do not play in any strat battles.  It's all personal preference, but I don't think one is detracting from the other.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 08:40:21 pm »
+1
Yes you use your char and his skills/attributes, but use the gear of the army you're fighting for.  You can also use any character now as your strategus character, but I believe there's a 7 day time delay before it switches to the character you want.

You can participate in strat battles without doing stuff on the strat map, but you need to have an avatar physically on the strat map before you can join a strat battle.

Typically (speaking from experience), strength heavy builds are better suited for fighting in strat battles (both due to sieges being the most important thing about strategus, and that most armies use very heavy armor).  But I think strength heavy builds are the best infantry builds in general for crpg.  I don't think it has much (if anything) to do with strat.  If you said archers or something like that, then yes, I'd say that's heavily influenced by strat.  But not so much any more that you can set an alt as your strat char.

I wouldn't say strat has diluted crpg at all.  I personally enjoy strat battles more than public play on NA1 (even though I like playing there too).  I think it's more fun due to having more organization in the fighting.  If someone was no longer interested in playing crpg, but still played strat battles, that's not taking one from the other...it's simply just adding one to a column.  But there are other people I know who only like playing in crpg and do not play in any strat battles.  It's all personal preference, but I don't think one is detracting from the other.

Thanks! This is exactly the sort of reply I was after. I actually made a strat char a long time ago, but took one look at the map and said "nope". He's still sitting somewhere, getting raped and pillaged I guess.

Offline Varadin

• fite me irl
  • Duke
  • Renown: 577
  • Infamy: 353
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Serbian
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/19930206800039/
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Varadin
  • IRC nick: Varadin
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 11:05:40 pm »
+1
Dont worry there is always me in strat battles to bring kills and awesome xp, so play whatever build you wish ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login