Author Topic: Understanding the rise of China  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding the rise of China
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 08:46:44 pm »
First things first, China will become the world leader together with all the developping countries that followed the same rythm, which means all the big ones like Brazil and India and Russia even though Russia is really different. This is why I do not think things will change much for the west. The game will be more level, but not actually tilted in China's favor that much.

Second, China's finest hour will only last that much. In maximum one hundred years from now Africa will boom economically and demographically, overtaking any other continent.

When that is done maybe we will be able to stop touching ourselves and get the fuck out of this shit cradle.
Putting Russia in the same breath as Brazil, India and China is such an overstatement. Russia is very poorly managed. Clear example of a country not using enormous natural resources right, unlike Canada or Norway. I also think you overestimate Africa's ability to maintain a healthy economic climate regardless of their prospected enormous population boom. Africa's historic patterns of complete mismanagement, disorder and disrespect for personal possessions means that there are quite a lot of challenges to be overcome before an economic boom can take place.

1.3 billion citizens is simply something which will not allow Brazil or Russia to compare with China, India won't be able to compete with China's effective state capitalism and Africa will not be able to compete with China's stability. China is the clear big one if you ask me.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 08:47:26 pm »
Like it or not, it's happening.
Based on..?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 09:12:32 pm »
Based on..?

Various sources will confirm that by 2100 Africa should be damn close to Asia in total population. See the UN estimates for example.

Putting Russia in the same breath as Brazil, India and China is such an overstatement. Russia is very poorly managed. Clear example of a country not using enormous natural resources right, unlike Canada or Norway. I also think you overestimate Africa's ability to maintain a healthy economic climate regardless of their prospected enormous population boom. Africa's historic patterns of complete mismanagement, disorder and disrespect for personal possessions means that there are quite a lot of challenges to be overcome before an economic boom can take place.

1.3 billion citizens is simply something which will not allow Brazil or Russia to compare with China, India won't be able to compete with China's effective state capitalism and Africa will not be able to compete with China's stability. China is the clear big one if you ask me.

Things change. Thirty years ago China was nowhere. Africa's historic pattern of complete mismanagement is only a few centuries old.

One thing I do have to say in favor of China is that they have a government of technocrats, not politicians. People at the top know what the fuck they are doing, much unlike democratically elected governments.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 09:13:24 pm »
Various sources will confirm that by 2100 Africa should be damn close to Asia in total population. See the UN estimates for example.
Population growth =/= economic boom. Especially when talking about Africa.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 09:18:39 pm »
I think I've read in the newspaper lately that the industrial growth of China is already dropping pretty quick...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 09:21:52 pm »
Population growth =/= economic boom. Especially when talking about Africa.

Historically ?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 09:25:07 pm »
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 10:11:36 pm »
Historically what?

Historically, demographic booms coincide with economic booms, that's what I meant.

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 11:23:56 pm »
Only if the planet could sustain the rest of the world catching up to the West in levels of consumption.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 11:44:31 pm »
Historically, demographic booms coincide with economic booms, that's what I meant.
Yes, but Africa's situation isn't really comparable to anything historic. We'll see how they handle their society now that whities have more or less completely left all the governments.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 12:02:45 am »
Africa doesn't have a chance at banding together. Too many natural resources, too many cultures. I do see specific countries in Africa becoming larger world players, though. Homogenous education systems also encourage useful skills that we don't really have, and a wider pool is always better when you have the ability to pick and choose from it. I guess that's their current challenge- making use of that while maintaining control.

It's also scary to see that some of the (then new) fears of the eighties came true, with multinational corporations holding a lot of the power. Can't help but thing combining a state with one is the way to go, if you want your country to prosper economically, though I'd still fucking hate it. China is the only large nation I can think of that's in a position to make this happen successfully.

This all conjecture, though. It's not a subject I have much knowledge in, besides general Chinese and Asian cultural norms due to greater exposure at a younger age. Where's Wiegraf when you need him, right?

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 12:13:44 am »
+1
If you watched the video, what struck me the most as a unique and different thing China has to other growing economies (and populations) in racial unity. 90% of Chinese consider themselves Han while other coutres like US EU(not a coutry but still) Brasil, India are multiethnic. You can't compare Africa in that way too, from Notrh to South so many different religions and cultures they will simply never have such a cohesion like China, nobody will I'm afraid. China is not really a nation state but a civilisation state, a point I've never considered and is not to be overlooked.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 12:41:11 am »
If you watched the video, what struck me the most as a unique and different thing China has to other growing economies (and populations) in racial unity. 90% of Chinese consider themselves Han while other coutres like US EU(not a coutry but still) Brasil, India are multiethnic. You can't compare Africa in that way too, from Notrh to South so many different religions and cultures they will simply never have such a cohesion like China, nobody will I'm afraid. China is not really a nation state but a civilisation state, a point I've never considered and is not to be overlooked.

I don't want to read transcriptions of the video :/

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 01:14:27 am »
These posts are too long and hurt my head

Ima go shitpost someplace else
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 01:21:59 am »
I don't want to read transcriptions of the video :/

Oh sry if you watched it just wanted to give you tl;dr version of some of the views in the video (I wasn't aware of myself) of why China will probably be a world leader in the next 50 years or so and why Africa will not get even close to it in a 100.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login