Author Topic: Suggestions to re-balance throwing.  (Read 26268 times)

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
Re: Suggestions to re-balance throwing.
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2011, 05:47:33 pm »
Javalry and other throwing cavalry need to resign to the fact that they need to rely on riding speed bonus and their higher strength to do damage. In other words, that 5 PS is a waste. For cav, riding replaces athletics, so at this point you are still pure as long as you don't waste points on athletics. You can throw stuff with points in PT and WM, ride and HA. And that is it. Horse ranged need to be wise about spending their points, unlike ground pounders who have more leeway. The only horse ranged that can afford to have spare points is a HC, since he can ignore a power skill, max out WM and HA and riding, and still have 2 points left over. Other horse ranged find it very difficult to hybridize, and don't have the points to spare.

In short, if you add melee or athletics to your horse ranged character, it becomes a hybrid, which are just not that good these days.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2011, 06:31:24 pm »
God, throwing really got shafted,

but another note dam throwing lances, they are retarded
Just a soldier

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2011, 07:19:07 pm »
If I were to rebalance throwing, I'd remove bonus to shields from spears/javelins/lances, so that axes become viable again, increase most stack sizes by 1 and increase damage by 10%.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Maybes aye maybes naw. Tiger that runs wi Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2011, 10:01:50 pm »
In short, if you add melee or athletics to your horse ranged character, it becomes a hybrid, which are just not that good these days.

Except that that isn't the problem. The issues for Horse Throwers are the same as those on foot, ridiculously poor accuracy, very little ammo and very little damage if you hit.

Not to mention that it is so very much harder for mounted throwers to keep track of where any missed shots land.

Meanwhile Horse Archers can spam away to their hearts content with much greater accuracy, and Mounted Crossbows can put all their wpf and many more skill points into other weapons and wear any armour they want.

If I were to rebalance throwing, I'd remove bonus to shields from spears/javelins/lances, so that axes become viable again, increase most stack sizes by 1 and increase damage by 10%.

Erm, throwing axes are probably the best throwing weapon at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:03:38 pm by AlbaTiger »

Offline Diavolo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Engineering student - Will pwn your ass in physics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templars
  • Game nicks: Templar_Diavolo, Aleta
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2011, 03:26:56 pm »
As I have mentioned in the other "please return throwing weapons to cRPG"-thread, the main problem with throwing now is that wpf is reduced when powerthrow is increased. This is not realistic at all. If I trained to become an uber thrower becoming super strong in the muscles required etc. I wouldnt become some half blind cripple who cant throw a spear straight just because of that. (perhaps if someone smashed my head in with a halberd repeatedly, yes, but not from training my muscles to throw spears long) However, having reduced amount of throwing weapons is realistic how it is now. The idea of the thrower is that they sacrifice, range, ammo and accuracy, to gain massive damage. Now that throwers cant increase power throw without losing the ability to hit barn doors, they dont even get what they are paying for.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2011, 05:40:18 pm »
Or the damage trade off either actually. That was taken away too. The barn door would just shrug it off.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2011, 06:35:42 am »
It's not impossible to do well still. You can't really get 1 hit kills anymore like you can with 10 powerstrike, but if you are very very good at throwing you can still land 1-3 kills at high levels of powerthrow and strength. The ammo cap sets the kill cap unfortunatly.

If all the changes I previously suggested are too much, then I offer a reduced list for consideration.

Listed by importance:
1. Reduce wpf requirement per level of powerthrow.
2. Stack increase, or slot decrease if #3 is included. Whichever.
3. Increase the powerthrow requirement for the better throwing weapons.
4. Have wpf increase accuracy a lot more, especially at levels over 100 if possible.

The major thing is the wpf problem. It's what has made dedicated throwing impossible. I can explain that in further detail if needed but I have already gone over it extensivly. I would be willing to state my reasons again if needed however. If that changed I would keep throwing, even if the accuracy stayed the same. I understand that the balance team is considering reducing slots. That's fine and would help, but you should seriously consider point #3 then, so throwing doesn't return to annoying levels of popularity. People whine enough about ranged as it is, even though throwing hardly counts as ranged.

Another point which I mention if it's needed to keep things fair but have no personal connection to. Consider reducing throwing accuracy while a shield is equipped to ammend what was reported as an OP build, which I can imagine.

Edit: If anyone from the balance team could comment on tthese suggestions, and possibly invite discussion, it would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:56:59 pm by Cheap_Shot »
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2011, 12:02:24 am »
As usual on this topic Cheap_Shot I agree 100% and I'm glad you're there to be posting sensible ideas on how to fix the problem, I don't really know enough about the ins and outs of the game to be making such consice suggestions.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2011, 10:59:35 pm »
Still waiting and hoping that someone important will come discuss this a little. To promote the cause, I have continued to draw! Crossposting this here. All my comics are so topical.

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2011, 12:35:11 am »
Those tincans look like they are enjoying rubbing against each other far far too much.
 :shock:

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2011, 02:56:34 am »
Historically, throwing weapons had limited usage. Making an entire class around them and forcing it to be equivalent to the other artificial classes is what you are suggesting. Imo, this will slowly ruin the game until it is no longer recognizable as mount and blade, but instead as a goofy-ass reincarnation of mainstream sock-raper-schizo mmorpg.

I love the comics though  :D

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2011, 04:47:35 am »
Historically, throwing weapons had limited usage. Making an entire class around them and forcing it to be equivalent to the other artificial classes is what you are suggesting. Imo, this will slowly ruin the game until it is no longer recognizable as mount and blade, but instead as a goofy-ass reincarnation of mainstream sock-raper-schizo mmorpg.

I love the comics though  :D

Historically speaking  a durp a durpa video game, guy wearing samurai armor using medieval European weapons hurp hurp realism.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2011, 05:15:51 am »
Historically speaking  a durp a durpa video game, guy wearing samurai armor using medieval European weapons hurp hurp realism.

hey! My samurai armor matches PERFECTLY with my bec-de-corbin. The last samurai was white. Its true! Tom Cruise told me so!
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2011, 10:12:07 am »
Even though i hate throwing... (tossing_salad is a good example of a player i cant stand)  i have to agree that throwing has been nerfed to hell. i think what really ruined throwing was throwing lances. thats what everyone hated, as i do to a point it makes me shake with primal rage :P

however, throwing has always been, and should always be, a secondary ability. no one just carried a santa's bag full of throwing lances into battle, and certainly, noone did just ranged.

keep slot restrictions
bump damage by ALOT
reduce wpf requirements a little.

btw, i like the little cartoons you draw, they are hilarious! you really should do more in your spare time!

also, if you are not in a clan, D'haran Legions is sort of a friend clan of ours, and i think that they would love it if you talked with them about joining, if you are not already. all of them throw, in addition to fighting, and i think you would fit right it. damn good players :)

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2011, 10:52:42 am »
your suggestions might fix it for you... but honestly i would make another suggestion... when throwing was super popular it was a problem, definitely. but why was it so popular? because it was super easy to hybrid, thats why! so a possible fix would be... keep the wpf requirment, maybe even make it higher! but give throwers more ammo and more damage. there were never all that many dedicated throwers... it was just a ton of people who put a few points in power throw, 0 throw wpf, and hucked shit everywhere. if hybrid remains difficult, but dedicated becomes viable... you will see a few throwers out there... maybe not a ton, but the ones who really like that play style would be able to do so... they would be at a severe disadvantage in melee, but they could at least kill people at range...