Author Topic: What are the mechanics of archer accuracy?  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Kriegson

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
What are the mechanics of archer accuracy?
« on: September 29, 2013, 03:53:02 pm »
Edit:
Wow, what's with all the hate? I wasn't complaining as to them being inaccurate, just asking for an understanding. Wasn't demanding they be more accurate, and yet everyone seems to have been molested by an archer at some point in their life, based on the downvotes =/

My understanding:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:39:13 am by Kalam »

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Wholy crap, why are bows so innacurate?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 03:58:26 pm »
+1
Game of Thrones mod?  :shock:

Yeah you need to stack up on wpf to be accurate here.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 04:12:35 pm »
+1
Yes! Buff Ranged!
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sharpe

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • I like Sheep.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wales
  • Game nicks: Sharpe, Llewllyn
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 04:13:18 pm »
+1
Archery here actually takes some sort of skill. Also high wpf, around 150+, does help.

“I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 04:16:19 pm »
+4
The cRPG balancers thought about letting some classes get instagib hitscan weapons and some others not, then decided it was a bad idea.

Offline Kriegson

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 04:17:12 pm »
+4
Archery here actually takes some sort of skill. Also high wpf, around 150+, does help.
Respectfully, dealing with completely random shots flying off in whichever direction until you have the WPF to actually have shots land somewhere relative to where you aim them doesn't require skill, it requires patience. The patience of a bloody saint.

Or a deathwish by getting extremely close so your arrows don't have as much of a chance to deviate as they might otherwise, but yeah. Skill would be calculating speed, distance, range, relative movement, prioritizing targets, opportunities and positioning relative to opponents to keep a clear line of sight, support your team well and stay alive.

Most of which I can do. Landing hits with arrows that fly off target after 10 feet and continue further from that point I cannot rectify with skill :P

@Adamar
Yeah! They just released their 1.0 version (and a hotfix) it's not only remade the map and factions, but added quite a few items and events to boot. Uses the functionality of some other mods, and overall is pretty damn nice.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:22:57 pm by Kriegson »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 04:24:46 pm »
+1
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Kriegson

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 04:27:11 pm »
+1

Offline Sharpe

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • I like Sheep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 04:36:09 pm »
Respectfully, dealing with completely random shots flying off in whichever direction until you have the WPF to actually have shots land somewhere relative to where you aim them doesn't require skill, it requires patience. The patience of a bloody saint.

Or a deathwish by getting extremely close so your arrows don't have as much of a chance to deviate as they might otherwise, but yeah. Skill would be calculating speed, distance, range, relative movement, prioritizing targets, opportunities and positioning relative to opponents to keep a clear line of sight, support your team well and stay alive.

Most of which I can do. Landing hits with arrows that fly off target after 10 feet and continue further from that point I cannot rectify with skill :P

@Adamar
Yeah! They just released their 1.0 version (and a hotfix) it's not only remade the map and factions, but added quite a few items and events to boot. Uses the functionality of some other mods, and overall is pretty damn nice.

Patience is a skill, and a virtue!

calculating speed, distance, range, relative movement, prioritizing targets, opportunities and positioning relative to opponents to keep a clear line of sight, support your team well and stay alive.
You pretty much do this every time you fire an arrow, sometimes you do it without thinking about doing it either; it becomes intinct.

Also have you seen the new mod they've been developing for GoT, for Warband? The graphics are amazing.

“I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”

Offline Kriegson

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 04:39:10 pm »
+1
Patience is a skill, and a virtue!
 You pretty much do this every time you fire an arrow, sometimes you do it without thinking about doing it either; it becomes intinct.

Also have you seen the new mod they've been developing for GoT, for Warband? The graphics are amazing.
Yeah, I'm fairly good at calculating trajectories. Easy enough when it's actually accurate in native, but in CRPG especially starting a new character the degree of inaccuracy makes me useless in most team fights considering I can easily hit a teammate if the arrow deviates a foot or two in a direction I don't want it to go in -_-

ooh, I have not. Got a link?

Offline Sharpe

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • I like Sheep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 04:45:46 pm »
One of the reasons I dont bother with archery till lvl 20 or 21.

And the mod is a work in progress, it might be a little discouraging that the last post was made in April; but their taleworlds thread didnt have any images so here you are

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:57:06 pm by ZeSharpe »

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 04:50:27 pm »
You wont be an archer here untill you have a large amount of wpf. It's not ideal or fun, but it is something you have to accept if you want to play that class here.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 05:15:11 pm »
+1
You have to get much more wpf, really, and, if I were you, I would lock this thread before being downvoted.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 05:32:43 pm »
+1
The "clash of kings" mod. Never really thought highly of that mod. Looked like your average mod, only with the names and map and weapons/armors being different.

From what I can say from my archer experience(which really isnt a lot). 100wpf is quite dooable. True, you are completely outgunned in a bow vs bow fight and it takes some time to getting used to, but its not that bad. That is why I also had 100wpf in 1h. Cuz I just like melee too much, to even leave it for a single generation. You are most useful in medium range or aiming at cavs horses if you intent on long distance shots. I used a +3 longbow myself with quite good ammount of PD. I figured if I hit something, I wanted it to hit hard.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 06:00:06 pm »
We are all Wholy

:lol: