Poll

Shut the NA servers down?

Yes
73 (24.3%)
No
228 (75.7%)

Total Members Voted: 301

Author Topic: Message and Poll to NA  (Read 9604 times)

Offline gallemore

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: BGallemore
  • IRC nick: Gallemore
Re: Message and Poll to NA
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 01:57:26 am »
and I'm not saying that I don't like the servers... I've played on them before, but why the hell do you need to post about when you have a mood swing? Just deal with your emotions cause it's the internet.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 01:57:32 am »
I havent co-located a server in many many years but $200 sounds pretty outrageous. 

Indeed. Bit more transparency = less speculation + more willingness to help/donate
With the frequent disconnects and lag spikes it does not seem they are sitting in a high class datacenter right now.
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline BigBoss

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 01:57:53 am »
Is that your wife in your photo right there? She's hot.

lol'd

Offline Ecko

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Respect is earned.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NA CRPG Admin
  • Game nicks: Ecko_ATS
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 02:00:05 am »
Indeed. Bit more transparency = less speculation + more willingness to help/donate
With the frequent disconnects and lag spikes it does not seem they are sitting in a high class datacenter right now.

The lag isn't coming from me, it came from the resent patches
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 02:03:58 am »
Been stating this for a while now, finally glad to see a server owner claiming this as well.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 02:05:37 am »
Been stating this for a while now, finally glad to see a server owner claiming this as well.

I thought this was long known the lag is everywhere for me.

Offline VicTheBear

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • You guys are dicks, and I'll drink to that.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: VicTheBear
  • IRC nick: VicTheBear
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 02:12:01 am »
As much as I troll, I do appreciate the fact that someone(or some people) out there are taking the time and money to run the NA servers for everyone. So thank you for that.
And in my personal experience, Ecko has been one of the few people who is willing to listen to all parties involved in whatever situation before taking any actions-- so if he's to the point of shutting down the servers then I can respect that. I've also never had a true complaint/concern without being given a chance to make my case with any admin, really. I would say that 90% of the time, if you're banned/kicked/muted you deserved it. The other ten is split between miscommunication and "admin aboooze." But really in the end it's a game, so who gives a shit?
Sad to see them go though, if that's what it comes to.

Just the same, a little server mix-up won't change anything. People are always going to whine about being "unjustly" banned or about admin abuse and people are always going to be stingy about donations. That's just how it is. So best wishes to all of you working on starting up your own servers, just expect the moans regardless.

Dispite any opinion you might have about the servers or how they are handled (now or ever), you have no right to be whining about a decision to shut them down. It was free for you to play. We would be losing something we didn't even earn(or appreciate in a lot of cases) to begin with.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:32:22 am by VicTheBear »
--victoria

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 02:14:35 am »

strange. I noticed quite often that I have almost 100 ping more on EU servers, but less lag - so it seems to be server specific.
And it gets worse on NA whenever more than about 40 people are on, so I assumed its most likely a server side problem.
Well, whatever, I guess this is not the main issue in this thread.
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 02:14:41 am »
If money is possibly an issue, maybe take out the smaller battle server? They're other servers which can fill that niche but not the 100 man or seige one. Can't speak on admin aboose as I've only just started playing again.

Offline Gruk

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gruk
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 02:15:57 am »
i never had any problems on Na server , and i been playing a long time. someone must be doing something right eh ?
I am Ripper... Tearer... Slasher... Gouger. I am the Teeth in the Darkness, the Talons in the Night. Mine is Strength... and Lust... and Power! I AM GRUK !!!!!

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 02:18:30 am »
Keep running NA servers so most of the bad players stay there and don't come on EU servers.

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2011, 02:23:44 am »
It's funny because , if the NA servers are so bad, why the new servers, managed by different people, are always empty ? If people were really sick of the administration of the NA servers, they'd be playing on Acre or SoA server ...

Our server is now a training server for... well.. many reasons...

We had people there when it was up, eh.

Anyway, back on topic: I honestly like the playerbase of the NA... as trolly as some of them are. It's a nice community and NA would surely fall if the ATS- I mean NA servers were to fall (^^).
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Sphinxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Sphinx_
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 02:26:42 am »
It's easy to point finger or say "I would do better" .. and usually the best way to prove them wrong is to let them try and see how hard it can be and what a load of work it is...

We're dealing here with a community of players that have been playing on these servers for a while, and I think the risk is too big to let "these guys" give it a shot. We have a working formula, why bother changing it ?

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2011, 02:28:51 am »
+1

Special Thanks to the Following for helping me run the NA servers:
Canary

This seems to imply that I've had admin on those servers in the past, which I didn't...  unless I've helped without having been admin, which I have tried to do.

In any case, all the complaint about the way things are run is more than common, especially in the case of today's jaded player-of-video-games. Being spoiled so often will make people very vocal about things they dislike whether or not they have a truly serious problem with something. You're in the poor position of providing something which they don't have any stake in, and they have a false sense of entitlement about how they get to play.

About having a clan run a server, I fail to see how that's problematic. Assume for a second that one community of people runs a server exclusively, that is, nobody outside the clan gets a position as admin: Obviously they might be more lenient to people who're part of their community, but does that necessarily mean that they'll treat people outside their clan with any more scrutiny or prejudice? The fact that they're already a solid, established community means that they'd have open communication with one another and be able to deal with problems faster than might otherwise be possible.

BUT - This isn't even the case on the NA servers! (the proper ones.) There are admins from all over the NA community as a whole! Any prejudice isn't universal, and there are channels to appeal the harshest punishment that the admins can even hand out.

Anyone complaining about having too many admins on NA, as well, assumes that "more admins = more kicks/bans" is necessarily a bad thing as well, when in fact more admins just means it's that much harder to break the rules, when breaking the rules is what is truly detrimental to the community. The rules aren't there to eliminate fun, and in fact I don't think there's a single rule established that a reasonable person could disagree with currently in place. People looking for lenience in the draconian application of the rules shouldn't try to condemn the admins in the process of softening their banhammers' blow.

blah blah et cetera,  I dunno. I just don't understand how this has become such a serious issue. I'd suffer without the official two (and strat) NA servers.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:37:20 am by Canary »

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2011, 02:40:01 am »
Who said you had a fail server? I don't think it's fail...