Author Topic: Universe Expanding  (Read 7360 times)

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
Re: Universe Expanding
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2013, 06:02:10 am »
Valve will help Linux ecosystem a lot, and every Linux distro will improve. Especially Debian based distros like Ubuntu or Mint.

There will be no difference between good distro and SteamOS when it comes to game performance. I advise you to use Ubuntu because it's meant to be used on desktop (or tablet), while SteamOS is targeting TVs. There won't be SteamOS for desktop users, at least not for some time. You'll probably be able to use different DE but that's practically the same as using other distro.

You can use SteamOS on desktop alright but that's the same like using XBMC on your desktop. It's created with big TV in mind, not PC monitor and you'll navigate using controller, not mouse or keyboard.

Again I repeat, everything that SteamOS has (better drivers, improved OpenGL API, kernel tweaks) will be available for Ubuntu/Mint/Archlinux as well. That's how it goes in the world of open source.

I think your assuming way too much here. They've said countless times that being able to stream from your PC to a TV (DLNA?) is one of the big points about SteamOS. I'm not entirely convinced as you are that the whole GUI will be completely designed for tablets without any alternative (ala Windows 8.. though M$ dun fucked up there)--though I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 650
  • Infamy: 896
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2013, 12:57:20 pm »
+1
It's not DLNA, they will be using streaming technology nVidia developed for their handheld console SHIELD.

About GUI, I'm pretty sure it will be the same as Steam Big Picture.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1411
  • Infamy: 1850
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2013, 01:02:23 am »
+3

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2013, 02:30:23 am »
+1

2:50 was the important part. Not ideal, but certainly 200% better than existing controllers for an FPS.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2014, 08:09:14 am »
maybe one of the $500 models will be able to compete with consoles, but all these expensive models are pointless and only confusing the target audience.