Author Topic: Universe Expanding  (Read 7557 times)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Universe Expanding
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2013, 01:01:11 am »
After all Valve have done for pushing indi developers with Greenlight, Workshop, the Steam platform itself for publishing..You would think indi devs like Donkey Crew would embrace this. I don't see the point in opposing this imo. Doesn't even matter how good SteamOS is compared to Ubuntu or whatever, its all about what Valve brings to the table in terms of credibility. I might not get SteamOS, but if this all takes off I might be in a position to move away from Microsoft eventually with Ubuntu or something

Why not have some faith in these guys? They are a positive future for PC gaming IMO
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2013, 01:05:43 am »
Being skeptical about something isn't opposing it.
Also, Valve does what it does for profit, not out of the kindness of their hearts (not that I'm blaming them for that).

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2013, 01:12:19 am »
You see profiteering, I see games getting published and advertised that would never see the light of day otherwise.

Valve are a business but there are so many games I have access to now that would never be here otherwise, or would be released and disappear shortly after

I would advise just to have some faith in these guys, they didn't take a wrong turn yet when it comes to empowering indi devs and getting games published without the weight of big publishers
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 1302
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2013, 01:33:52 am »
+1
Your proof is a video of a single game using FRAPS (one of the worst and slowest recorders for Windows). :facepalm:
Also, have you even looked at the video? At the initial helicopter scene the Linux side is super choppy at 100FPS, while the Windows side is smooth at 50. :doublefacepalm:

I'm not sure why are you arguing with me? To prove my claims wrong? To make things easier, I admit I was wrong about everything I said in this thread. Don't listen or read what I've read, folks. It's not true, just my personal opinion which is obviously wrong. Thankfully, there's that beautiful thing called freedom of mind where I can be wrong in the eyes of everyone else and right in my own eyes. Call me stupid, idiot, delusional... I cherish that human characteristic.   

It all about being excited because of the potential I see here. It could fail badly but that's the risk I'm willing to take. Fifteen years with Microsoft have been pain, suffering, massive letdowns, like I was dealing with the devil himself for those 15 years. On the other hand, ten years of occasional Linux usage and five years using Steam has been mostly delightful experience. And I'm going to support them, because I see brighter future with them.

Using Windows 8 for a full year. You should try it too, quality product. Someone said Battlefield 4 works better on Win8, wonderful game that Battlefield 4 indeed.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2013, 08:58:21 am »
To be honest, the steam software is still a buggy mess. The checkout process works okay, I guess, but the rest of the interface frequently produces "Cannot display page" or "Unknown error -1", etc. I always assumed it's because of the massive amount of players that are accessing those services, but who knows?

I mostly thank Valve for introducing the sales philosophy, because 10 years ago, it wasn't possible to get a AAA game that was released half a year ago for 75% off.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2013, 09:41:31 am »
To be honest, the steam software is still a buggy mess. The checkout process works okay, I guess, but the rest of the interface frequently produces "Cannot display page" or "Unknown error -1", etc. I always assumed it's because of the massive amount of players that are accessing those services, but who knows?

Mine never does. Never. Sure it isn't you?

Of course, remember they don't control the platform or hardware configurations (yet).
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2013, 09:44:19 am »
+2
Valve are by far one of the best companies out there for PC gaming right now and have been for a long time, yes they're a business, they need to make money, but so do all the other companies but it just so happens Valve aren't JUST here to make money. They have given a lot to the gaming community with their own games ( and the modability of their games giving us awesome mods through the years, which without a doubt carried a large part of the FPS MP scene for years upon years ) and also with STEAM, which I've used for 10 years and has only gotten better and better.

I see people slating Steam and saying it's buggy, it's this and that, it's restrictive because I've gotta have internet to download games blah blah ( I might sound like an arsehole, but tough fucking shit if your 3rd world home has shitty internet, that doesn't mean Steam sucks ), maybe years ago it was buggy, but I don't have any problems with it whatsoever nowadays and it's never been so buggy that I couldn't use it. Also Steam sales, no explanation needed, thanks Valve.

Right now Valve is one of the very few companies that give life to the PC gaming industry, maybe I sound a bit fanboyish, but that's a fact and hey, fuck it, I am a fan of Valve. Personally I think Valve also breaking into the console market will be awesome for console gaming, the market needs more competition rather than just Microsoft vs Sony ( IMO Nintendo aren't in the same console market anymore, their consoles have gone down another route, more designed for kids, families and cock suckers ).

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2013, 10:00:47 am »
+1
All sufficiently big businesses are only there to make money. Steam is no different. They just have this unusual strategy of caring about their consumers and reputation.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2013, 10:18:59 am »
gaben is god

f2p + huge population + hats business model = happy customers & $$$

steam sales = happy customers & $$$

there's nothing to not like about volvo

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2013, 11:46:27 am »
+1
there's nothing to not like about volvo

Except being owned by a China based holding or something. I'm a full hipster an would buy a Saab instead anyway.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2013, 11:47:59 am »
Except being owned by a China based holding or something. I'm a full hipster an would buy a Saab instead anyway.

that's probably gabes personal company to avoid 1st world taxes

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2013, 12:07:11 pm »

source pls

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2013, 12:17:01 pm »
+1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhejiang_Geely_Holding_Group

Note that it's only Volvo Cars, the rest of Volvo appears to be independent.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2013, 01:36:32 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhejiang_Geely_Holding_Group

Note that it's only Volvo Cars, the rest of Volvo appears to be independent.

oh you

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1647
  • Infamy: 1376
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2013, 01:37:54 pm »