Author Topic: Balancing Strength  (Read 5366 times)

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
Re: Balancing Strength
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 05:31:17 pm »
Some sort of rework of the damage system via xenoargh's fancy damage system could also work, with higher wpf causing more favorable simulated soak/reduction rolls.
The randomness in soak/reduce rolls is almost nonexistent after a couple patches ago. That being said, it would be interesting to have WPF actively reduce soak and reduce.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 08:58:33 pm »
+1
If HP gain is hardcoded into STR that is a problem, unless the yield can be altered - because currently people can make huge STR builds and forego IF because they get so much from STR itself.  Instead, they just put all the points into PS. 

Maybe HP gains from STR could STOP being received above 27 STR or something?

Also, yeah WPF/WM is too weak in its impact, or rather - the effect of NOT having it is too minimal.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 04:02:16 am »
If HP gain is hardcoded into STR that is a problem, unless the yield can be altered - because currently people can make huge STR builds and forego IF because they get so much from STR itself.  Instead, they just put all the points into PS. 

Maybe HP gains from STR could STOP being received above 27 STR or something?

Also, yeah WPF/WM is too weak in its impact, or rather - the effect of NOT having it is too minimal.

I am currently using a 33-12 pure polearm build with 11 powerstrike, 1 ironflesh, 4 athletics, and 4 weaponmaster.

I believe it is overpowered.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 05:35:51 am »
Add flat WPF reduction instead of percentaged.

Remove free WPF per level, buff WPF gain per WM.

All fixed.

---

Whats that ? You wanna go all str-platecrutch-onehitter ? Have fun swinging as slow as a peasant because you didnt decide to get any WM and cant rely on your 111 free WPF at lvl 30 anymore. Oh and enjoy your negative *x* effective WPF because of the flat WPF reduction of all your plate.

Offline Leman_Russ

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 08:05:57 pm »
+1
As much as it may seem like a great idea to be asking for a major balance change to a core game mechanic, please don't tempt Tydeus.  We don't need anymore extremely ridiculous balancing.  If anything just keep pushing for a WM overhaul.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 08:13:24 pm »
WM/WPF overhaul is where I think you should be aiming at as well.

Could be as simple as removing free WPF per level (I think that's the best idea, IMO)...(I don't understand what a flat WPF reduction means/would do).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 09:08:59 pm »
+3
(I don't understand what a flat WPF reduction means/would do)
As things stand now, armor encumbrance reduces your WPF by a percentage. This means that high-WM builds are disproportionately punished by encumbrance, whereas low-WM builds lose fewer WPF points.

A flat encumbrance penalty would subtract a fixed number of WPF points per unit of weight over the limit.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 09:14:03 pm »
+2
Just wanted to post my thoughts instead of staying forever silent. Staff have their own thoughts on the Wpf curve afaik. Just trying to say that giving people more wpf isn't going to help much (most wear medium armor and it'll all just get taken away), and decreasing strength guys' wpf won't change much either, all because of the way % based reduction is implemented. There would still be an inherent problem.

Ex. for random medium weights
2.7 helmet
13.2 body
1 glove
1.6 boots

wpf
90  -> 74   (-16)
111-> 91   (-20)
146-> 120 (-26) (5WM at lvl 30)
172-> 141 (-31) (8WM at lvl 30)

The more you lower the wpf of guys with an already low value, the less wpf reduction they get anyways. Wpf bonus is pretty linear (~40 wpf = 1 PS, ~15 wpf = 1 weapon speed), so they won't even notice very much. 1 point in WM is ~8 points higher up, but just from increasing WM by 3, 1 of the WM points was almost rendered useless. On the flip side, it just shoehorns people who value wpf into light armor, while people who don't have high wpf can wear almost anything they want. I believe that reducing movement speed and higher difficulty levels (+price) of armor already help people choose how much weight of equipment they should wear, so wpf reduction should be equally punishing for any wpf level.

As far as ranged goes, xbows and throwing are already armor-friendly. Archers with decent armor would still get a reduction, but it won't be crippling, and they'll be even slower when they have a bow out. They would also have to shave a bit more of their primary wpf, making them less accurate vs pure archers, but they would have more of both weapons' proficiencies with decent armor.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 09:16:57 pm »
Thanks for explaining WPF % reduction...I thought we were already on a flat reduction rate...  :oops:

san wouldn't your concerns be moot if they went with the flat reduction vs %?  Or is that exactly what you're saying?  These mechanics + maths are not for the layman  :?
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 03:56:56 pm »
The way I see it, a 33-3 and a 3-33 build would both be equally feasible if this mod were to be perfectly balanced. The only way a 3-33 build could ever work would be one of those rondel dagger shielders. That is literally the only way. Without a shield you can't do anything with a build like that. And as of now, if a 33-3 and a 3-33 build fought, the 33-3 guy would win all the time, hands down. Even if the agi build was a rondel dagger shielder, sooner or later he would fatally glance on the str build and get cut down in 1 hit.

Also, another problem with strength is that it has far more perks. It not only gives you a ton more hp and much more damage, but it is the only way to unlock higher tiered weapons and armor. Str is what allows you to use a weapon, agility allows you to use them (slightly) more effectively. You would think that at least a bow would have an agility requirement, since agility is generally viewed as "the archer's stat." While that isn't as true about this mod, since you still need high strength to unlock the bow and then of course if you want to do damage you need power draw, agility is what you would commonly have in actual rpg's if you were an archer.  The fact that strength is absolutely necessary for any class is a huge advantage in my opinion. No one ever needs agility. Sure, it is helpful (for some classes more so than others) but strength is an absolute must.

And not only is strength necessary, it also has the better skills. As previously mentioned, powerstrike is definitely good and ironflesh is plenty useful. For agility, athletics is definitely good, while weapon master is just 'meh' at the moment, unless you are ranged... but it seems like we are only focusing on melee at the moment, so I will not really count it as being all that useful.

Another perk of strength builds are all 'the little things.' Having high strength allows you to nudge farther, you are more likely to crushthrough,  you are less likely to get crushthroughed, and also more likely to absorb hits (your opponent will glance on you more often). And does agility get any of these kind of perks? Nope.

In total:

Pros of strength builds:
  • More hp
  • More hitting power
  • Able to use more powerful weapons /armor
  • Nudge farther
  • More resistance to hits
  • More likely to crushthrough
  • Less likely to get crushthroughed
  • Less likely to glance (comes directly from more powerstrike)
Total Amount: 8

Pros of agility builds:
  • Able to run around faster
  • More wpf so better at making hybrid builds
  • Able to swing slightly faster
Total Amount: 3

See the slight imbalance here?

In my opinion, as it stands now, agility is definitely useful since athletics is such a useful skill, but it still caters much more to the more skilled player. Athletics helps your footwork be more effective and you can therefore play smarter (try to flank enemies to get around their blocks, etc). However, if you are not the best manual blocker, strength is far, far superior. Anyone playing a strength character can jump into the fray and hope to get a couple of kills. You almost never see agility players (unless yoloing) intentionally charge into a mosh pit. They will glance on everything and everyone, and fall from just a couple of hits.

People always complain about how agility builds do nothing but spam so much... while it is true that personally I feint a lot and have a more offensive approach, I definitely try to spam more when on a strength stf character. The reasoning behind this is because if I am going to get blackbarred from just one hit as an agility character... why take the risk of not blocking and hoping I can outrange, outswing, or chamber my opponent? Especially when fighting a strength build, I would hit them and maybe do 1/8 damage... while I myself would get nearly killed. Risk >>> reward. As a strength build, I wouldn't mind losing the 1/8 health if I can successfully chamber my opponent and cripple him in one strike. And I know for a fact that I am not the only player with this mindset. Most of the players who do try and chamber are strength builds. Most of the 'risk taking' players in general are strength builds.. they gladly jump into a mosh pit, try and outswing/outrange their opponents, and as I said before, try and chamber all the time.

So, my first suggestion for improvement here, besides the wpf change, would be to negate the effects of high weight on athletics. Sure, it would be highly unrealistic to be able to sprint around in full plate. I am not asking for a huge nerf to weight's affect, just a minor one so that I can suit up like all the strength characters and not feel like my build is completely useless. Not to mention that even in heavy armor pierce / blunt can still oneshot me (seriously.. those damn steal picks and great mauls). Also, lets not forget that even a pure strength build in full plate armor can still jump 10 yards. There is nothing worse than when I am running away strategically re-positioning  myself away from an opponent in full plate, and they can catch up with a good ole jump stab... even though I have at least 6 more athletics than they do. Heavy armor is not nearly as useful for agility builds as it is for strength builds due to the fact that it so greatly nerfs wpf, athletics, and it is really only useful with high ironflesh.  Personally, I think that nerfing its negative effects just a little would be a huge step in the right direction.

/rant

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 04:48:42 pm »
+2
Thanks for explaining WPF % reduction...I thought we were already on a flat reduction rate...  :oops:

san wouldn't your concerns be moot if they went with the flat reduction vs %?  Or is that exactly what you're saying?  These mechanics + maths are not for the layman  :?

Right now it's % based. So basically, if you get a lot of wpf and wear barely any decent protection for a melee, you get your wpf reduced almost twice as much as someone who didn't put any points in WM. To put it bluntly, they're rewarded for no reason. Change the wpf curve and the problem will still be there, str crutchers would barely lose any wpf and agi builds will just wear no armor and attack lightning fast. The wpf ceiling is already pretty high, but then wpf gets reduced to 120-140 for almost everyone. Armor already makes you slower and high agi builds can't wear certain armor anyways (difficulty for body armor is quite low IMO), so it's overly punishing.

Edit:
@Jona
Movement speed reduction from weight is surprisingly fair IMO. I previously thought that heavy armor made agility builds move almost as slow as strength builds in the same armor, but according to this chart from WaltF4, it's actually quite linear. (source: http://forum.melee.org/beginner%27s-help-and-guides/running-in-crpg/)
(click to show/hide)
Draw a horizontal line at any weight value and you see that you move as fast as if you had ~7-8 lighter weight of armor for 3agi+1ath.
An agi build with decent armor still moves quite fast. Plate-tier armor is around the 30-35 weight value. (4h+24b+2g+3l = 33 for instance)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:11:41 pm by san. »

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 05:22:53 pm »
Buffing WM -> Fuc**** ranged they are shooting headshots all the time from insane range
Buffing ATH -> Fuc****  archers you cannot catch them, and those x-bow my old friends they are running like a wind.

Try to think about that also :)
Archer forever :D

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 05:28:55 pm »
+1
Archers wear little enough armor to not lose wpf. Ath unchanged. Only ranged class that would benefit is the archer with medium armor (still less accurate than light armor archers and weighed down by 20 extra weight on top of medium armor).

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 06:20:56 pm »
Right now it's % based. So basically, if you get a lot of wpf and wear barely any decent protection for a melee, you get your wpf reduced almost twice as much as someone who didn't put any points in WM. To put it bluntly, they're rewarded for no reason. Change the wpf curve and the problem will still be there, str crutchers would barely lose any wpf and agi builds will just wear no armor and attack lightning fast. The wpf ceiling is already pretty high, but then wpf gets reduced to 120-140 for almost everyone. Armor already makes you slower and high agi builds can't wear certain armor anyways (difficulty for body armor is quite low IMO), so it's overly punishing.

Edit:
@Jona
Movement speed reduction from weight is surprisingly fair IMO. I previously thought that heavy armor made agility builds move almost as slow as strength builds in the same armor, but according to this chart from WaltF4, it's actually quite linear. (source: http://forum.melee.org/beginner%27s-help-and-guides/running-in-crpg/)
(click to show/hide)
Draw a horizontal line at any weight value and you see that you move as fast as if you had ~7-8 lighter weight of armor for 3agi+1ath.
An agi build with decent armor still moves quite fast. Plate-tier armor is around the 30-35 weight value. (4h+24b+2g+3l = 33 for instance)

Interesting.. I had heard before that the higher the athletics the higher the movement speed nerf (like how wpf works). But the one thing that MIGHT be true that isn't included in his extensive testing (and by not included I mean I didn't see it in my quick skimming) is acceleration. I feel that when wearing light armor I am instantly fast and can zip around and turn on the dime, etc. Once I get the heavy armor out I feel like I CAN indeed run fast, but only after running in a straight line for a while... I still feel like everyone in heavy armor moves the same for the first 2-3 seconds of moving, and that you don't reach maximum speed until 4-5 seconds... which is how those strength builds in just as heavy armor can catch up so easily.

Which brings up another point... acceleration is way too long in my opinion. I can understand that you can't just start running full speed instantaneously... but even in real life you only accelerate to max speed in just about 3 seconds. And that is from a standstill to full sprint. In this game you only ever jog (if not power walk) at best. Now maybe the acceleration from 0 to max is indeed less than 5 seconds, but the fact that this game is so otherwise fast paced it just feels like it takes too long as it is. 

Have any tests on acceleration been done that you know of?  It was mentioned several times on WaltF4's post that many others feel the same... acceleration is highly important and higher armor has more of a significant affect on acceleration times as opposed to max speed.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 07:32:13 pm »
I remember a person did do some acceleration tests on the arena map a few years back, but I can't find it. Without some sort of frame advance tech, it'll be difficult to get anything concrete just from personal experience. I can't really tell with just my 5ath and 8ath characters whether or not acceleration is more heavily affected. Don't have heavy armor, too.. When I had 18 weight body armor and 8ath, I still felt like my acceleration was good. With my 5ath character, anything past 13 body armor is quite slow. This is something that needs to be looked at frame by frame.

In the end, I just assume the running is close to the acceleration.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:35:50 pm by san. »