Author Topic: Quick Question: throwing hammer vs heavy throwing axe  (Read 989 times)

Offline Kriegson

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Quick Question: throwing hammer vs heavy throwing axe
« on: September 09, 2013, 03:03:55 am »
Most of the differences between them are pretty minor, currently using hammers so I'll list the pros and cons form that point of view.

Pros of axe:
17 more damage
Signifigantly higher value for accuracy
bonus against shields

Cons:
1 less ammo
cutting damage

Currently low level so the true potential of either isn't quite clear to me just yet, but I can hit pretty consistently with hammers on moving targets, and fight relatively well with it (against bots in DTV lololol yeah I'm bad T_T)
Theoretically, I might hit more frequently with axes, but I have less of them so I damn well need to.

Ultimately, it comes down to "is 47 cutting and one less ammo > 30 blunt and 3 ammo?"
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:10:15 am by Kriegson »

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Question: throwing hammer vs heavy throwing axe
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 04:43:18 am »
It's a toss up (ha). 94 potential base damage against 90 potential base damage. HTA's have a higher chance of one-shotting or black-barring low to medium armor opponents, Hammers give more ammo and will fare.. fairly.. against any target. I'd say that axes have the edge, but only slightly, provided you can hit your targets reliably well with either.

I'd probably go with Hammers, Stones, War Darts, or Throwing Lances as a thrower, personally. Just my preference.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 05:29:29 am »
Heavy throwing axes are actually more effective than you would think. I like them a lot, the ammo is a major deterrant though. Also remember that the hammers weigh A LOT more. So they slow you down more but I also think they fall faster and move slower.(?)

Also 17 cut more is definitely going to do more damage to everyone especially plate. Even though you are comparing it to blunt, 17 extra cut damage is going to still win out, especially since it scales better with your PT. If it was only 8 extra cut I would say use the hammers.

Axes do more damage across the board.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 08:46:21 am »
I used both on my thrower alt and I do significantly better with 4 stacks of HTA than with 4 stacks of TH.

I also prefer the melee mode of the HTA. I use MW HTA and they are really, really nice to play with. You can oneshot charging horses aswell, I'm a big fan of HTA  :mrgreen:

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 01:07:07 pm »
+1
So they slow you down more but I also think they fall faster and move slower.(?)

Determined exclusively by missile speed and some factor of power throw, so weight doesn't effect anything in throwing mode besides your movement speed.

Hammers have higher damage potential per stack on pretty much any non-naked targets, and starts to win out on average damage per hit at around 55-60 armor.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag5R9vD8esLKdEtZczR1YjdpQlkxOTB4LTBkMjJpckE#gid=7

I prefer the pierce weapons (or stones) though.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:08 am »
Does the melee mode of throwing hammer have knockdown, like all other mace-class 1H weapons? If it did, I think the high weight could lead to some serious knockdown %s.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:57:47 am »
lol like knockdown chance isnt already broken as fuck
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:39:14 am »
Yep, it has a knockdown, also it lets you make combos with it, i mean you can knock someone down, then jump and throw the hammer,or knockdown the enemy and flee away :D

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 12:09:54 pm »
Does the melee mode of throwing hammer have knockdown, like all other mace-class 1H weapons? If it did, I think the high weight could lead to some serious knockdown %s.

If you swap the throwing hammer to melee mode, it becomes 2 weight, so no uber knockdown chance, sorry.

Offline Kriegson

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 12:59:22 pm »
If you swap the throwing hammer to melee mode, it becomes 2 weight, so no uber knockdown chance, sorry.
Dis ^
IIRC knockdown chance is based on weight, speed and direction. So it's certainly not high enough to rely on.
Though I recall someone suggesting heavy throwing hammers with knockdown on throw  :mrgreen: (yeah that would be OP as hell)