Author Topic: Newbie here, few questions on a build and controls.  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Kriegson

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Newbie here, few questions on a build and controls.
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:47:48 pm »
+4
Googled all over the damn place and found nothing on some of the additional controls for the mod, V for "nudge" I think? Only learned about it after someone mentioned it and scienced it on an enemy.

I understand Q for quick chat options
V for nudge
Anything else I'm missing here?

That aside, I've been fiddling around a LOT trying to find what kind of style I want to go with, and I'm thinking 2h and throwing. Throwing is useful in lower levels for supporting proper knights, and can be useful later in dueling. Always nice to whip out a francesca and toss it into someone's face (more like leg ;P). But for 2h, I'm looking to be fast and moderately powerful...and I'm slowly coming to grasp the idea of WPF vs armor vs survivability and damage stats.

That said, is Shortened Military Scythe worth using? Decent damage it seems, 4 directions, relatively low str requirement (Though I hear 15 is recommended anyhow) and with spear chucking I can manage a modest ranged offense/support.

Or should I be looking at 15 str regardless and go from there?

Edit
So one burning question here, mouse aim for block/attack direction seems too imprecise (At least in third person) while keyboard control seems counter-intuitive to running around like a madman as you must in combat, first person is more precise but less situational awareness.

Is there any way to increase my precision when it comes to selecting block direction/attack direction? Should I try using keys if the mouse seems too imprecise/vague? Something else I'm missing here?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:54:15 pm by Kriegson »

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie here, few questions on a build and controls.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 01:51:39 pm »
Shortened Military Scythe is uncommon, but usable. It is not exactly high tier, though and there are straight up better, but more expensive weapons.
It might benefit somewhat from its rarity, as some people might not know what to expect of it (range, speed, damage).

Getting 15 STR/5 PS is a good idea in either case, since many players run around in heirloomed medium-heavy armour and many use high STR builds with many points in Ironflesh, which makes them hard to kill with low-str builds.

Offline Kriegson

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:25:05 pm »
+1
Shortened Military Scythe is uncommon, but usable. It is not exactly high tier, though and there are straight up better, but more expensive weapons.
It might benefit somewhat from its rarity, as some people might not know what to expect of it (range, speed, damage).

Getting 15 STR/5 PS is a good idea in either case, since many players run around in heirloomed medium-heavy armour and many use high STR builds with many points in Ironflesh, which makes them hard to kill with low-str builds.
Ty for the advice :D
I've noticed that despite slashing <Blunt/pierce loads of people still use greatswords, but I've yet to see anyone using a SMS, so it will be fun being potentially the only guy on the field using one :P

Hrm..15 str regardless then. Will do.

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 02:38:36 pm »
People use greatswords, because their high cut damage is comparable to the blunt/pierce weapons in most cases (except against super-heavily armored people) and their far superior range makes them much easier to use always. Range is king in this game.

Offline Varadin

• fite me irl
  • Duke
  • Renown: 577
  • Infamy: 353
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Serbian
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/19930206800039/
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Varadin
  • IRC nick: Varadin
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 03:46:45 pm »
True dat, but it always depends what game type are you playing , if you are playing on eu 1 aka battle its always better to have more agi and be range , but if you do a siege, than i would suggest you to stick to high str base build :)

But its all up to you and your roleplay style and play style ,i always prefered high str build with great maul, some may call it gay and easy , but hey its my roleplay and i i enjoy it:D

ps: also E is for kicks :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 07:16:38 pm »
+4
For the first generation, I strongly suggest a 18/18 build. If you use that you have plenty of skill points to invest and for the next generation you know if you want more strength or agi or stay balanced.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 07:14:19 am »
+1
For the first generation, I strongly suggest a 18/18 build.

I would recommend this as well. You aren't locked into one build and item set, so you can try out something different if you get bored or change your mind.

The shortened military scythe has great damage and good reach for its price. The attack speed is lacking, but with 120+ WPF you will rarely feel that it is going too slow. It's a great bargain for the gold you save in repair costs compared to the really expensive 2H swords.

Also, you generally want to level up power strike and/or power throw to the maximum level your strength allows. For 15 str that would be 5. With 18 you can get 6 into those skills. Especially with cut weapons, you will notice a big difference in levels of PS/PT. Also, most melee builds have 18 or more strength at level 30. The speed you would gain is generally not as valuable as the durability and power you get from those 3 points. 15 is low, but not outlandish for a 2H build. It's up to you, really.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 03:16:48 pm »
+1
My standard 2h/thrower build. Very good overall. I used a Longsword, 2 stacks of Jarids/T. spears/T. axes and 1 stack of throwing daggers. Light-Medium armour.
(click to show/hide)

This is my STR thrower build. Focuses more on throwing itself, hits like a beast, and you can take quite a beating. I don't really recommend it for 2h/thrower but it's VERY good for 1h/thrower since 1h is just 1 slot.
(click to show/hide)
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 03:20:07 pm »
My standard 2h/thrower build. Very good overall. I used a Longsword, 2 stacks of Jarids/T. spears/T. axes and 1 stack of throwing daggers. Light-Medium armour.
(click to show/hide)

This is my STR thrower build. Focuses more on throwing itself, hits like a beast, and you can take quite a beating. I don't really recommend it for 2h/thrower but it's VERY good for 1h/thrower since 1h is just 1 slot.
(click to show/hide)
Listen to Jarlek , he´s like a walking Wikipedia.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 03:22:27 pm »
V- Nudge
N- Dagger quick-draw
x- Weapon modes

Other than these three I don't really think anything else is out there.  There is a "Quick Dismount" option but I am unsure what button that is (Or if you can bind it)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 03:32:07 pm »
+2
V- Nudge
N- Dagger quick-draw
x- Weapon modes

Other than these three I don't really think anything else is out there.  There is a "Quick Dismount" option but I am unsure what button that is (Or if you can bind it)
H is quick dismount, J is drop shield. Both of those are only with WSE2 (use WSE2), but they are all possible to change and can be found in the options menu.

Only V for nudge and N for quick draw are keys you can't change. The rest you can find and edit in the options with WSE2.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 03:35:36 pm »
+2
J is drop shield

Offline Kriegson

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 03:25:56 pm »
+1
Thanks for all the awesome advice :D
Since this post I've been tooling around with just about every combination of tactics and weapons I could think of just to be useful to the team and put some points on the scoreboard (which brings me to another burning question that I'll edit into the OP) but I've found something that fits me and I've been doing fairly well to boot.

Spartan with short spear, best shield I can manage at the point.
Ath 2
iron 4
 shield 2
Po S 4
12 str/7 agi mostly light armor medium chest.

I can help defend "knights" (Geared, skilled folks) get the occasional stab to at least stun enemy knights, tank a few hits while someone goes for what they think is a quick kill for a knight to kill them. Overall it's better than "instagibbed by someone spamming bastard sword". :P

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 04:49:05 pm »
+1
First, a forum advice, most people won't read a late edit into the OP.

Second, the vast majority of people use mouse blocking/attacking. If you're too imprecise, it's either because of lack of practice or you simply need to adjust your mouse position or handling.

Offline Kriegson

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 07:56:34 pm »
First, a forum advice, most people won't read a late edit into the OP.

Second, the vast majority of people use mouse blocking/attacking. If you're too imprecise, it's either because of lack of practice or you simply need to adjust your mouse position or handling.
I thought it might not get as much exposure, but didn't want to spam the forum with questions only from me :P
Yeah, perhaps more practice...I might try practicing with keyboard controls as well..hrm =/