Author Topic: New mode - defend the leader(s)/assasinate the leader(s)  (Read 892 times)

Offline Tsch

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild
  • Game nicks: Sir_Luke_The_Parrot_Hobo
New mode - defend the leader(s)/assasinate the leader(s)
« on: September 02, 2013, 03:30:24 pm »
+14
Hello,
Here's my idea: In each round there's a random choice of 'leaders' from each of two teams (one each). These ought to be chosen from the pool of the most experienced (level wise) players. The game centers around the idea of protecting your leader while simultaneously trying to kill the other one. Here's a couple of options:
a) killing the leader automatically finishes the round
or
b) gives the killer's team a lot of points (in this case each round is time-limited)
or
c) each kill made by the leader also bring additional amount of points with the time limit finishing the round

The alternative would be that the 1st round is leader-free. After it the leaders are based on the best scores, thus the core gameplay starts with the 2nd round. 

What do you think?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 03:33:53 pm by Tsch »

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
Re: New mode - defend the leader(s)/assasinate the leader(s)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 04:14:16 pm »
We should get pimp hands too!

Offline Shadowren

• Count
  • Renown: 255
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • It isnt sufficient that I succeed-others must fail
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shadowren_ATS
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 07:35:53 pm »
Sounds like fun!
(click to show/hide)

Love that game mode!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Away with you, vile beggar.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 07:43:37 pm »
Could work.

One suggestion though: Instead of automatically winning the round when killing the leader, make the flags spawn at the location where he was killed.

This would prevent a team from losing just because their leader suicide rushes in clothes or similar.
Then again, he could just jump in the water and die so that it would be hard capturing the flag for both teams.

Either way (and except some trolling by leaders), it would probably be fun :wink:

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 07:50:01 pm »
Has potential, but what if a peasant becomes the leader? the difficulty ramps up a lot. Also if both teams are playing defensively it'll be a campfest. Possibly if all the maps are very small, Arena, Tavern and town maps.

Think the server would need to be quite small but it could be lots of fun, would definitely play.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:41:11 pm »
Has potential, but what if a peasant becomes the leader? the difficulty ramps up a lot. Also if both teams are playing defensively it'll be a campfest. Possibly if all the maps are very small, Arena, Tavern and town maps.

Think the server would need to be quite small but it could be lots of fun, would definitely play.

Thats just it, if you wanted to add a helluva twist to it, they could make it so the leader spawns in the Courtly Outfit(dress for ladies) with all his other gear. or not have any gear whatsoever similar to the commander mode( i dont think you can pick up swords and what not, never played it though). 

Or

They could make them spawn in some sort of plate similar to the commander mode.

Offline Tsch

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:57:12 pm »
If the leader is going to be chosen on the basis of the top score (or let's say a random top score from the first 5 places or so) that would most likely eliminate any peasants. As to the problem with suicide - there's no guarantees ingame with any other mode - in siege mode some defender can open the gate and in battle people can just tk each other. That's why there's banning, as doing the above would probably ban you for good from the game.

Personaly, I believe it to be a fun little gametype, as ninja-like characters could scout the area for trouble/assasinate (real assasination i.e. going for a specific target, not just flanking and killing spree like in siege/battle), people clad in heavy armour could serve as a kind of a personal guard, guarding the leader, knowing that his/her survivability would be of the highest value. A lot of roles to play and something which would integrate players more than just battle, as there's a central figure they can regroup around - much like a flag in siege.

Any other comments/suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:12:28 pm by Tsch »

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:57:18 pm »
+2
Sounds fun... very similar to a chivalry game mode I had read about. Something where invaders are sieging a castle, and once they break into the keep the highest-scoring defense player becomes the king, who is then the target for the attacking team. That game mode alone made me contemplate purchasing the game... but alas it was not worthy of my 10 bucks.

Anyways, the only issues I can see with such a game mode would be:

1) Assuming it is set up like battle.
a) Cav could easily kill the target player.
b) If cav could be the target player... well, have fun chasing him down.
c) If you get an agi whore troll to be the target, and problems a and b are solved by not allowing cav in this game mode at all... then it would all be up to snipers.
d) Snipers. Able to kill the target in one shot from across the map. Sure, you can try and form a shieldwall... it won't work.

2) Assuming this game mode is more similar to siege.
a) Once again agi whores just kiting everyone. Also allows for them to easily suicide charge since no one else would be able to keep up to try and defend them.
b) Map abusing (one target can jsut sit on top of a long ladder/staircase or on top of a ledge/wall... or just any hard-to-reach place.)
c) Once again snipers. Xbows would be able to shoot even further if they have a height advantage.

This mode works (well, I am assuming it works.. never played) in chivalry since everyone is essentially the same few classes, and there is definitely better balancing. Anyone with throwing weps or archery is not nearly as OP as throwing in this game, or xbows who can 180-spin-headshot-without-even-taking-time-to-aim.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Tsch

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 03:26:10 pm »
Heh, well said, nothing to add.  :|

Offline ARN_

• Duke
  • Renown: 605
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Kalmarunionen_Arn
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 04:01:12 pm »
'You think you tell us what we do?'
'We not here for you entertainment'.
Eastern European sportsmanship 2014

Offline Xeen

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 10:39:43 am »
Practically any old game-mode archetype would be superior to what we have right now.  More on topic though, protect the leader would be fucking amaaaaazing and would give a diversity of builds unique purposes and strengths.

Offline Tsch

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 05:31:18 pm »
I'm glad you like the idea then. It would be great if you could add more suggestions, so we would be able to draw up some kind of proposal.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 07:41:48 pm »
+1
The leader could be a pre-defined character you spawn as with set skills and gear. So everyone can see who the guy is and so its not someone with a dodgy build

Leaders could be randomly chosen out of top 10 highest scorers of the first round (normal battle round before balancing)
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline pingpong

• Earl
  • Renown: 423
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 11:24:49 pm »
+1
Besides the fact that it will never work in C-rpg (as Jona said), this game mode would warrant its own server, which in turn would spread the already small community to even more servers, which is most def not a good thing, we have enough game modes already, IMHO we should improve the current ones instead of adding new ones.