Author Topic: New gamemode : Siege with one life  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
New gamemode : Siege with one life
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:35:17 pm »
Mix the best of battle mode (one spawn) with the best of siege (an objective).

This can work on siege maps if the attacker team is slightly bigger.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
Re: New gamemode : Siege with one life
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 12:02:30 am »
+11
The only reason I strictly prefer siege over battle is that I simply don't want to wait for the round to end if I happen to die very early. I played a lot of native back in the day and I very rarely played battle there too. Siege has always been my preference for the above reason. I think if siege goes the one shot formula too, this mod will be forever dead to me and I will be gone for good.

Offline Silfarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 101
  • Infamy: 23
  • praise mlaatr
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrell
  • Game nicks: I am the everyjudas!
  • IRC nick: Judas_cRPGSilfarion
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 12:12:08 am »
But siege isn't about killing people

It's about capturing/defending the flag
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ellie

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • It's a traaaaaap
    • View Profile
  • Faction: DLB
  • Game nicks: DLB_Ellie, Ellietrap, Ellie_Rocks_Your_World
  • IRC nick: Ellietrap
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 12:57:21 am »
+1
Eh. I think the change that's actually coming out next patch is nice. Decreased spawn timer for defenders on lower population games, so that the entire team doesn't just sit there dead while the other team camps the flag.
Nerf everything. Buff naked fist fights.

Offline Sir_Senior_the_Eldest

• Count
  • Renown: 178
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Sir_Senior_the_Eldest, Son_Sonsonsonson
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 01:02:04 am »
+1
As Asguardian said the respawn time is the main reason for many (low or not low lvl) players to play on a siege server. So it won't draw too much attention of the usual siege players.

Otherwise a battle with more obstacles might be exciting after all those random plains and ruins battles. But there are some points which clearly have to be seen.

1) Opening gates when there are no more than for example 30 players has no sense. So it is enough to use one ladder and rush to the flag. This makes defending a whole castle useless because the attackers only need one single breach for a short time. -> the best def tactic is just camping around flag/inner keep -> not a real siege unfortunately

and the bigger impact
2) if you got only one life there are very very few people who want to be the first on ladder. of course for some players this exact fact makes it so much more intense but it takes a lot of impetus out of the usually fast-paced wall fights.

So an own mode would not be that popular I think. But maybe a map with a very small castle for one side in battle map rotation could serve your wishes?

Just my two cents.
I have a dream that one day this mod will rise up, and live out the true meaning of its creed: ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all classes are created equal.’

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 02:13:06 am »
+4
I think the Native 22nd server used to have a lives system for defenders. You started with 3, and that's all you got, or something, and attackers had infinite lives but finite time to take the place. It was pretty fun to behold a handful or survivors fighting desperately to stay the tide for the last minute, but a lot of what made that system work was the maps used.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 03:36:24 pm »
+2
If you just want battle with objectives, get someone to host a "defend and destroy" (I think that's what it's called) server. That's a native gamemode that was popular for a while in the warband beta and has never been seen since. It's just battle, but one team has to defend a catapult and a trebuchet, while the other team has to destroy them. Rounds are won by timer, an entire team getting killed, or both objectives being destroyed. The objectives kinda work like the doors in siege, you just hit em to damage them and their HP is scaled by the amount of players.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 04:11:48 pm »
we had life for defenders with the very first siege mode. but there was a different reward system as well.
ohh and the goal of the defenders was to delay the attackers as long as possible.
you had 5 lifes as defender back then and it was quite rare that you have lost all of them.

anyway, the main issue is, that the attacks needs a lot more fifes than the defenders so you need to find the right balance.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 06:07:39 pm »
Would definitely be worth the try. Attackers would need a % of extra players to make it balanced.

Also an objective (a flag, a door to the lords chambers, a catapult) that needs to stay up/alive to the last minute. Maybe multiple objectives.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 07:04:43 pm »
The only reason I strictly prefer siege over battle is that I simply don't want to wait for the round to end if I happen to die very early. I played a lot of native back in the day and I very rarely played battle there too. Siege has always been my preference for the above reason. I think if siege goes the one shot formula too, this mod will be forever dead to me and I will be gone for good.

I agree it's also nice to have gamemodes with respawning, and different people have different tastes on the matter. I don't see this as a replacement for siege actually.

1) Opening gates when there are no more than for example 30 players has no sense. So it is enough to use one ladder and rush to the flag. This makes defending a whole castle useless because the attackers only need one single breach for a short time. -> the best def tactic is just camping around flag/inner keep -> not a real siege unfortunately

If defenders stay on the flag they don't capitalize on the combat bonus provided by walls. They are outnumbered, and a fair fight near the flag isn't going to end well for them.

and the bigger impact
2) if you got only one life there are very very few people who want to be the first on ladder. of course for some players this exact fact makes it so much more intense but it takes a lot of impetus out of the usually fast-paced wall fights.

This may be wishful thinking but an attacking force with just one life would have more reasons to coordinate itself, first thing being attacking as a group rather than a stream (unique spawns would cause that to happen naturally). Second, that to save their lives attackers would try harder to find the weakest part of the defense.

So an own mode would not be that popular I think. But maybe a map with a very small castle for one side in battle map rotation could serve your wishes?

Just my two cents.

Actually I'd rather have maps as open as possible, while still giving an advantage to defenders.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 09:08:56 pm »
+1
I agree it's also nice to have gamemodes with respawning, and different people have different tastes on the matter. I don't see this as a replacement for siege actually.

I see that you would like this to be an entirely separate and new mode Kafein. Note that I don't wish to look like a funkiller that objects for the sake of objection here, yet it would dwindle player numbers in both sieges. Just out of curiosity, I took a look at NA2 today and I really wouldn't like to see such a deserted siege mode on EU, be it your suggested one or the ordinary one.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 11:47:47 pm »
I see that you would like this to be an entirely separate and new mode Kafein. Note that I don't wish to look like a funkiller that objects for the sake of objection here, yet it would dwindle player numbers in both sieges. Just out of curiosity, I took a look at NA2 today and I really wouldn't like to see such a deserted siege mode on EU, be it your suggested one or the ordinary one.

Good point old chap

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 02:49:20 am »
+1
I think some native siege maps had a system where attackers got X number of lives and defenders only got one, or something like that - not sure if the maps were more defensively biased than crpg ones (which are made to allow many plausible routes to the flag).

On a different note - as Ellie pointed out - next patch will include a code that makes it so that when the population drops below certain thresholds the defensive spawn timer will reduce itself.  This is something the mappers have been talking about for some time to help balance low pop siege and Paul made it happen!  Go Paul.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 09:48:47 pm »
Paul's last contribution to cRPG, we honor and remember you, Urist.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 09:52:47 pm »
Siege with one life

(click to show/hide)
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net