Poll

Do you think it's a good idea?

The less 2h stab the better-> yes
9 (34.6%)
Yes.
8 (30.8%)
No.
3 (11.5%)
Maybe but under different conditions. (mentioned in post)
4 (15.4%)
I don't care.
2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Changes to 2h secondary mode  (Read 964 times)

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
Changes to 2h secondary mode
« on: August 27, 2013, 05:33:04 pm »
+6
Hello!

Secondary mode on 2h weapons (aka polearm mode) is barely ever used by anyone.

It uses polearm wpf which discourages 2h players from using it. Also (correct me if I'm wrong) It uses old polearm-left-swing which is kinda bad.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to make a secondary mode on 2h weapons change just the stab to the polearm-stab instead of 2h stab and base it on 2h wpf. In this way we could have increased variety and the depth of fighting could be brought up. All the animations would remain the same but stab would become a polearm stab.

Though people tend to whine at 2h stab and hate it as hell, polearm-stab is no worse than 2h-stab and it's stats would have to be re-thought in order to avoid gay-abusing and breaking the game (which will obviously happen  :rolleyes:).

Theoretically if you think 2h-stab>>pole-stab (Banos lul), then you should agree to my idea because it's not a buff but a variety increase.

Secondary mode that changes just the stab and it's damage is what I mean in this topic.

Ex. Highland Claymore:

primary mode
Speed:92
Length:117
Thrust:22 pierce
Swing:43 cut

secondary mode
Speed:92
Length:117
Thrust:26 pierce <--- up to balancers
Swing:43 cut   <--- up to 2ndary mode penalty

Swing animation staying the same for stab animation getting changed.

Tick proper box in the poll plox  :!:

EDIT: added note to secondary stats
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:57:44 pm by BlueKnight »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Skyrim UI

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
Re: Changes to 2h secondary mode
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 05:51:39 pm »
+2
As always, I approve anything that fucks with 2hand stab

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 06:29:55 pm »
Yes, but at all for me it should be I don't care  :D
Archer forever :D

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 07:20:37 pm »
+4
So that would make 2H superior where you need long reach and in close quarter.
So what about getting some pole wpf  to use your closequarter stab efficently, or just accept the malus from 0 wpf in pole.
I understand that halfswording should be a part of twohandfighting. But there must be some downside to 2H.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 07:41:46 pm »
+1
So that would make 2H superior where you need long reach and in close quarter.
So what about getting some pole wpf  to use your closequarter stab efficently, or just accept the malus from 0 wpf in pole.
I understand that halfswording should be a part of twohandfighting. But there must be some downside to 2H.
Nobody is going to do that and in close quarters people prefer to spam swing and hiltslashes anyway. Moreover 2h swords when in secondary mode are way slower&shorter than stabbing polearms and should have lower stab damage when in secondary mode. For example shortened spear would be longer and faster than for ex claymore but they would have same stab damage.

Nothing op there but new&more possibilities, imho.

I know that polearm stab is good and I've mentioned it in 1st post that's why setting stats properly is so important.

Skyrim UI

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 07:51:03 pm »
+5
I made a thread in the unbalance section about this a month ago. Something along these lines will be done, although you're definitely going to suffer a cut damage loss, it won't be nearly as low as it currently is.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 08:02:35 pm »
+2
I made a thread in the unbalance section about this a month ago. Something along these lines will be done, although you're definitely going to suffer a cut damage loss, it won't be nearly as low as it currently is.

I voted yes before I read his proposed stats...

So going to 2ndary mode the OP thinks should still have the same weapon speed and cut damage as in primary mode?  What the fuck?

So to sum up the original post, he wants to make the 2h secondary mode use 2h WPF (which makes sense), but his proposed stat change would be to just make the thrust get stronger, and nothing else is sacrificed...yeah...not happening bro.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:41:20 pm »
Ok so I proposed making polestab available cuz people butthurt about 2h stab and some 2h would like to use pole stab from time to time so now you want the cut damage loss? As far as I know the pole stab is considered worse, ask panos ^^ Why nerf cut dmg then?

I know polestab is strong but so is 2h stab -> it's already trade stab for stab.

I voted yes before I read his proposed stats...

So going to 2ndary mode the OP thinks should still have the same weapon speed and cut damage as in primary mode?  What the fuck?

So to sum up the original post, he wants to make the 2h secondary mode use 2h WPF (which makes sense), but his proposed stat change would be to just make the thrust get stronger, and nothing else is sacrificed...yeah...not happening bro.

You can always change your vote because poll allows it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:44:25 pm by BlueKnight »

Skyrim UI

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 09:05:15 pm »
+1
Ok so I proposed making polestab available cuz people butthurt about 2h stab and some 2h would like to use pole stab from time to time so now you want the cut damage loss? As far as I know the pole stab is considered worse, ask panos ^^ Why nerf cut dmg then?

I know polestab is strong but so is 2h stab -> it's already trade stab for stab.

You can always change your vote because poll allows it.
What you don't see is that you do not swap stab for a stab, but you add a  stab.
with the 2H stab you loose effectivity when you come to close. this only advantage 1h has over 2h would be gone if you add the poletrust using 2h wpf, because dedicated 2h would be effective close to the enemy as well.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 09:55:43 pm »
What you don't see is that you do not swap stab for a stab, but you add a  stab.
with the 2H stab you loose effectivity when you come to close. this only advantage 1h has over 2h would be gone if you add the poletrust using 2h wpf, because dedicated 2h would be effective close to the enemy as well.
The thing is that statistics of the particular weapon would decide if it's too good or not. For example longsword with it's huge speed, would be instastabing like crazy at short distance, on the other hand shortened military scythe with it's pole-stab isn't op though it has swing damage and stab damage of german greatsword but is slightly shorter than that weapon. Each weapon's stats would have to be adjusted itself.

The free choice of your stab is an advantage but why give anybody a secondary mode that is visibly worse than primary? What is the choice then? Also I don't think you can abuse mode-changing while fighting. It always takes a while to switch and each battle is dynamic which means once you need this and once you need that and you don't know how the shit will look in a few seconds.

Also there are a lot of weapons for different classes that have useful secondary mode like blunt on bec de corbin which knocks people down and other 1h axes with pierce damage when wielded in a different way. No need for secondary mode if it's clearly worse than primary mode. However blunt mode on poleaxe was abused badly before they changed the stats.

I'm rather afraid of instastabing people with longsword and greatswords from 0 distance than about people changing their stab during battle or something. This is more important for me.

Thx for answering. Community may not always say that but they appreciate when devs answer even with 2 lines.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:59:28 pm by BlueKnight »

Skyrim UI

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 10:52:11 pm »
cant we create true halfswording?
I can come with some feedback and teory from my books(I got fave books about longsowrd fighting) and I belive you also have got some knowlage about that.

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 11:16:34 pm »
cant we create true halfswording?
I can come with some feedback and teory from my books(I got fave books about longsowrd fighting) and I belive you also have got some knowlage about that.
Good thing you can read if you can't type ^^

Skyrim UI

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 05:34:26 pm »
I'm down for any change to the 2h alt-modes that makes them actually usable. +1
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 06:15:50 pm »
At the moment, the only viable 2h in polearm mode are bastard type of swords. It is good option for hoplites. But Greatswords are outclassed by awlpikes and the likes.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 08:38:48 pm »
I honestly don't know of one person with polearm WPF (and no 2h WPF) that takes a 2h sword into battle to half-sword with.  It seems dumb to me that it's not using 2h WPF.
 - Stolen from Macropussy